Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Because Google Didn't Work
Because Google Didn't Work
So I'm gonna start asking you guys all my random questions about being a real grown up! Why won't they teach this stuff in school?! You know, so I'm not completely stupid and don't look like an utter moron to the rest of the adult population when I say "Hello real world! My name is Alaina! It's nice to meet you."
RE: Because Google Didn't Work
Shoot.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
What's the question exactly that you want an answer to?
At the ripe age of 29, I've discovered most so-called grown-ups don't know shit-all about being grown-up either...so take all advice with a grain of salt.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
1. Do landlords usually allow you to install extra locks on doors?

2. How do I change an air filter?

3. How do self cleaning ovens work?

4. I don't know anything about hanging curtains!
1) depends on the place and the landlord - you can always ask.

2) Depends on the unit - you say google didn't work, but if you have some information on that I bet we could find something. Usually it involves taking the grate out and putting the correct new filter in.

3) I never use the self-cleaning function, but my understanding is that it heats everything to ash that you can essentially wipe away. I still keep "oven cleaner" on hand that I spray into the oven, leave for a half-hour to and hour, then wipe away. The oven cleaner is also useful if you have to strip and re-season cast iron pans.

4) Don't feel alone - most people don't. What sort of curtains are you trying to hang, and where? Sometimes leaving the place curtain-less is chic and modern-looking, and then you don't have to worry about dusting the fabric or washing them.
(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 1. Do landlords usually allow you to install extra locks on doors?
US specific laws must apply, so I won't comment. My guess is, no.

(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 2. How do I change an air filter?
Air filter... for what? Air conditioning? Car engine? gas mask?

(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 3. How do self cleaning ovens work?
I read about this a few weeks ago.
It seems there are a number of different technologies for self-cleaning ovens.
On all, it basically boils down to a coating on the walls of the oven. One prevents grease from sticking, period. Another has a special setting that causes a change in the coating and the grease falls off.... and those are the two main ideas.
Personally, I'd avoid self-cleaning ovens, as that coating can (and will, if Murphy's Law stands) fall on your food and something tells me it's not the most healthy substance around.

(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 4. I don't know anything about hanging curtains!

There are, at least, two pieces that attach to the wall.
These two are used to hang the top bar.
The curtains must have some rings and that bar has to go through those rings at the moment of assembly... It can be tricky, if you're working near corners and the bits that attach to the walls have holes where the bar goes through... Some of them are open on top so that you can insert the bar in the curtain rings sitting down and then you just have to hang the bar on those wall mounts (there must be proper names for these pieces, but I don't know them)
(June 18, 2014 at 8:26 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 1. Do landlords usually allow you to install extra locks on doors?
US specific laws must apply, so I won't comment. My guess is, no.

(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 2. How do I change an air filter?
Air filter... for what? Air conditioning? Car engine? gas mask?

(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 3. How do self cleaning ovens work?
I read about this a few weeks ago.
It seems there are a number of different technologies for self-cleaning ovens.
On all, it basically boils down to a coating on the walls of the oven. One prevents grease from sticking, period. Another has a special setting that causes a change in the coating and the grease falls off.... and those are the two main ideas.
Personally, I'd avoid self-cleaning ovens, as that coating can (and will, if Murphy's Law stands) fall on your food and something tells me it's not the most healthy substance around.

(June 18, 2014 at 8:17 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: 4. I don't know anything about hanging curtains!

There are, at least, two pieces that attach to the wall.
These two are used to hang the top bar.
The curtains must have some rings and that bar has to go through those rings at the moment of assembly... It can be tricky, if you're working near corners and the bits that attach to the walls have holes where the bar goes through... Some of them are open on top so that you can insert the bar in the curtain rings sitting down and then you just have to hang the bar on those wall mounts (there must be proper names for these pieces, but I don't know them)
A filter for a house. Oh no! There's filters for that other stuff too?! As I said, I'm a derp.
(June 18, 2014 at 8:30 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: A filter for a house. Oh no! There's filters for that other stuff too?! As I said, I'm a derp.

Filter for a house?! errrr... Now I'm confused... what are american houses made of?
Most people do not change the filters on their cars, so don't worry about that - that's usually something they send the car in to get done.

(June 18, 2014 at 8:34 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(June 18, 2014 at 8:30 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: A filter for a house. Oh no! There's filters for that other stuff too?! As I said, I'm a derp.

Filter for a house?! errrr... Now I'm confused... what are american houses made of?

The air ducts in homes have filters in them to reduce dust and allergens.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3574 173298 1 hour ago
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Nobody wants to work anymore Foxaèr 92 5770 October 29, 2021 at 11:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can't get the link to work here but. Brian37 21 1226 July 29, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: no one
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2012 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2687 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 827 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Because I love cheese Losty 116 8229 November 27, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Any photographers in Louisiana looking for work? popeyespappy 0 525 September 21, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Just because She's Topless chimp3 162 16948 January 8, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  I'll Give You a Pass Because... Neo-Scholastic 13 2184 November 16, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Little lunch