Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Baha'i Faith
The Baha'i Faith
So, Pickup_shonuff and I ended up discussing my faith on another thread, but it was dedicated to a different subject. So I'm starting this up here to continue the conversation.

I'm not really 100% sure what you(Pickup) want to know, so let's start there. What kind of questions do you have?
هاورکرافت من پر مارماهى است
RE: The Baha'i Faith
I'm interested to know about Baha'i Faith. . the core values and the concept of unity within diversity. . .
I hope you don't mind to explain . . that could save me lots of time reading and grasp the true understanding about Baha'i Faith Smile

p.s. need to go out for a while, but will response when I'm back. .
What evidence is there that this Baha'i character exists? that's all I want to know.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(June 26, 2014 at 12:45 am)Muslim Atheism Wrote: I'm interested to know about Baha'i Faith. . the core values and the concept of unity within diversity. . .
I hope you don't mind to explain . . that could save me lots of time reading and grasp the true understanding about Baha'i Faith Smile

p.s. need to go out for a while, but will response when I'm back. .

I don't mind explaining at all. This was supposed to be a conversation between myself and Pickup_shonuff, but I doubt he'll mind if others join in. Smile

So, the core values.

Oneness of God:
We believe that there is only one God, Who is Unknowable in Essence, Imperishable, Uncreated, the Origin of Existence, and on it goes. We believe that He (we use the English pronoun He as a default, not because we believe God is male) created this world (but not in the sense that Christians believe He created the world), and that the purpose of creation is to develop perfections and to grow to know and love our Creator.

Oneness of Humanity:
We believe that humanity is one, that we are all equal regardless of race, gender, religion (or lack thereof), nationality, caste, or social class. One of the main focuses, and something that we actively strive for in the communities we reside in, is the elimination of all forms of prejudice.

Oneness of Religion:
We believe all religions (or at the very least the prophetic religions) were given to humanity by the same God, and that they all originally taught basically the same things about God. The differences arose due to the believers distorting the teachings of God's Messengers as time passed.
Part of this belief in the oneness of religion is the belief in progressive revelation. In simplified form, progressive revelation goes like this:
Moses taught some stuff, and Jesus repeated some of it. But Jesus also taught some more stuff. Then Muhammad repeated some of Jesus's stuff, but He also taught some more stuff. Then the Bab repeated some of Muhammad's stuff, and taught some more stuff. Then Baha'u'llah repeated some of the Bab's stuff, and taught some more stuff. And this list of "more stuff" gets larger with each new revelation. It's kind of like our species has been going through school, and each new revelation is a grade.

As for unity in diversity, that's a pretty simple one. We can all just get along, even though we all disagree. Of course, there's a lot more on that than what I said. But I'm tired. Gimme a break, lol.

(June 26, 2014 at 12:47 am)Sejanus Wrote: What evidence is there that this Baha'i character exists? that's all I want to know.

"This Baha'i character"? Well, the evidence is he's writing a forum post directed at you right now. Lol, "Baha'i" is just the term used for a follower of Baha'u'llah. It means "of Baha (Glory/Splendour/Light)."

Now, if you want evidence that Baha'u'llah existed... That's not all that hard to prove. He lived in the 1800s. There're are photographs of Him. Baha'is don't view them except when on pilgrimage to the Shrines, but you're not a Baha'i. So, nothing stopping you from going to Wikipedia, looking up Baha'u'llah, and seeing his picture.
and who is the prophet for that religion ? let me rephrase...... who smoked too much weed ? Big Grin
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(June 26, 2014 at 1:09 am)zanOTK Wrote: "This Baha'i character"? Well, the evidence is he's writing a forum post directed at you right now. Lol, "Baha'i" is just the term used for a follower of Baha'u'llah. It means "of Baha (Glory/Splendour/Light)."

Now, if you want evidence that Baha'u'llah existed... That's not all that hard to prove. He lived in the 1800s. There're are photographs of Him. Baha'is don't view them except when on pilgrimage to the Shrines, but you're not a Baha'i. So, nothing stopping you from going to Wikipedia, looking up Baha'u'llah, and seeing his picture.
I meant the deity you worship. Where's the evidence that that being exists?

(June 26, 2014 at 1:36 am)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: and who is the prophet for that religion ? let me rephrase...... who smoked too much weed ? Big Grin

That would be Baha'u'llah. I'm afraid He wasn't smoking any weed, though. I don't think he even smoked tobacco, which was pretty popular in Persia at the time. I think 'Abdu'l-Baha (His son) smoked hookah occasionally, though, so that He didn't stand out as much. Wasn't exactly safe to be a Baha'i at the time, and the Persians knew Baha'is didn't usually smoke.

(June 26, 2014 at 1:40 am)Sejanus Wrote:
(June 26, 2014 at 1:09 am)zanOTK Wrote: "This Baha'i character"? Well, the evidence is he's writing a forum post directed at you right now. Lol, "Baha'i" is just the term used for a follower of Baha'u'llah. It means "of Baha (Glory/Splendour/Light)."

I meant the deity you worship. Where's the evidence that that being exists?

We just use the name "God", since it's pretty standard in English. And there is no physical evidence whatsoever. If you want evidence of His existence, you'll have to experience it for yourself.
(June 26, 2014 at 2:08 am)zanOTK Wrote:
(June 26, 2014 at 1:40 am)Sejanus Wrote: I meant the deity you worship. Where's the evidence that that being exists?

We just use the name "God", since it's pretty standard in English. And there is no physical evidence whatsoever. If you want evidence of His existence, you'll have to experience it for yourself.
Why don't you believe in Thor, Odin, and Valhalla? or unicorns for that matter?

(June 26, 2014 at 2:19 am)Sejanus Wrote:
(June 26, 2014 at 2:08 am)zanOTK Wrote: We just use the name "God", since it's pretty standard in English. And there is no physical evidence whatsoever. If you want evidence of His existence, you'll have to experience it for yourself.
Why don't you believe in Thor, Odin, and Valhalla? or unicorns for that matter?

I never said I don't believe in unicorns. Tongue

But seriously. I just don't. I have personal reasons for believing what I believe, and they aren't anything that really matters when shared. So the usual tactics you use with theists won't work. Because I don't care. I'm not trying to convert you, I just made this thread because Pickup_shonuff said he wanted to learn more. He's not online right now, so I'm answering your questions instead.
I guess my main questions are:

1) what do you have in mind when you say oneness?

and, 2) why you feel/believe oneness requires god?

Then, if I'm not prying too much, were you raised to believe in god or gods? If not, why did you seek it out.

Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3874 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1253 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 934 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11011 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12297 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 829 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4198 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13265 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33129 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 204072 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet