Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partial quotes
Partial quotes
I see in the rules that members' posts can be quoted in full or part, providing the text is not changed. But there is no mention of partially quoting in such a way that the original meaning is changed.

If I said 'I believe in God as much as I believe in the tooth fairy' and someone just quoted me as saying 'I believe in God' I would be very annoyed. This happened recently on another forum.

What woulld be the situation here?
RE: Partial quotes
That would be against the rules. If it happened you can report it and the mods would deal with it for you.

Just re-read the rule just to make sure I was right. The rule is being accurate with quoting. So if I quoted something in such a way as it no longer meant what you said that would not be okay.

Unless it was a joke and it was made clear it was a joke and not accurate.
(August 1, 2014 at 7:32 am)Insanity Wrote: That would be against the rules. If it happened you can report it and the mods would deal with it for you.

Shit happens deal with it
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(August 1, 2014 at 7:36 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(August 1, 2014 at 7:32 am)Insanity Wrote: That would be against the rules. If it happened you can report it and the mods would deal with it for you.

Shit happens deal with it

That's neat.Big Grin

Just re-read the rule just to make sure I was right. The rule is being accurate with quoting. So if I quoted something in such a way as it no longer meant what you said that would not be okay.

Unless it was a joke and it was made clear it was a joke and not accurate.

Thanks. But it's not specifically covered, unless I missed it.
(August 1, 2014 at 7:38 am)Diablo Wrote: Thanks. But it's not specifically covered, unless I missed it.

I think its partly covered by the spirit of the rules at the top. The idea is that if people are intentionally fucking with what you are saying then that's not okay.

I don't think I've ever seen it happen here outside of a joke anyway so you should be fine.
(August 1, 2014 at 7:29 am)Diablo Wrote: I see in the rules that members' posts can be quoted in full or part, providing the text is not changed. But there is no mention of partially quoting in such a way that the original meaning is changed.

If I said 'I believe in God as much as I believe in the tooth fairy' and someone just quoted me as saying 'I believe in God' I would be very annoyed. This happened recently on another forum.

What woulld be the situation here?

That is against the rules.

It's classed as quoting out of context and thus is something we don't take kindly to.

The only exception to the misquoting rule is when people are in cahoots with one another. i.e. it's a jovial thread where there is no nefarious intent and people are generally engaging in banter.

But if someone were to quote you as you example in your OP that is an offence that we would escalate. As cited:

Quote:In the case of ambiguity, staff will err on the side of preserving the author's original words rather than preserving your artistic license

We will always side with the member whose post is being quoted to preserve their integrity and the content if there is any ambiguity, or someone reports a misquotation and it is deemed as such by the staff.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(August 1, 2014 at 8:15 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: The only exception to the misquoting rule is when people are in cahoots with one another. i.e. it's a jovial thread where there is no nefarious intent and people are generally engaging in banter.
What about parody or satire? I (and other members) have done this and I don't remember having been reported or moderated as a result.
Sum ergo sum
As per the rules, including a proviso of (for example) "Changes made to original quotation." would ensure that the intentions are clear.

It's obviously hard to read things like sarcasm on-line and this could be extended to parody or satire. However we recognise that this is a topic that is subject to "exceptions to the rules" and thus we will always take it on a case by case basis.

I myself have parodied the posts of other members but usually said things like "FIFY" indicating clearing where I have 'fixed' the statement.

Fundamentally editing the text, not indicating that you have edited it and then either leaving it as it is or responding to it with your own argument/critique (definition of a strawman) would bring penalties. I hope that makes the distinction clearer, although as I said, the fluid notion of an online discussion forum means we will take it on a case by case basis.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

Just want to add, FWIW, that this is actually something that very rarely comes up. Most members on here don't every stray anywhere near what we would deem to be actionable with a warning and everyone seems to take the rule on misquoting as standard and respect it. Even n00bies tend to stick to the text that they're quoting.

And it makes sense because there's no point in joining a discussion forum if you're going to fundamentally alter the text of the person you're talking to. You may as well sit in front of a mirror if that's the goal.

(August 1, 2014 at 7:44 am)Insanity Wrote:
(August 1, 2014 at 7:38 am)Diablo Wrote: Thanks. But it's not specifically covered, unless I missed it.

I think . . . the spirit of the . . . idea is . . . fucking.

I don't think I've ever seen it happen here outside of a joke anyway so you should be fine.

Like that ??????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quotes Rogue 10 2088 April 5, 2019 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Losty
  Help me understand why the quotes are as they are? Gawdzilla Sama 10 1898 March 12, 2019 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Separating Quotes Cherub786 16 2267 December 4, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  How do I delete saved quotes? Succubus 9 1945 August 15, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Quotes LadyForCamus 5 1426 December 30, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Suggestion] Hide tags or trim long quotes Aoi Magi 4 1879 July 6, 2015 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Exian
  Auto-Hide Big Quotes The_Flying_Skeptic 3 1859 April 22, 2010 at 4:19 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Give Someone a Partial Kudo The_Flying_Skeptic 8 2566 April 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Quotes Darwinian 17 6785 June 5, 2009 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet