Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official Thread to Discuss the Philosophy of Immanuel Kant
The Official Thread to Discuss the Philosophy of Immanuel Kant
So, I just started reading Critique of Pure Reason. There's a lot that I enjoy so far but also a lot that has me scratching my head. I would be curious to hear others' thoughts on Kant, what you like or dislike about his "Transcendental Logic," where you agree/disagree with him. I find his ability to plainly explain terms and definitions a bit... well, lacking.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: The Official Thread to Discuss the Philosophy of Immanuel Kant
This is the part where someone is supposed to get me excited about Kant's "Copernican revolution" in philosophy... because so far I find his writing dull, dry, and terribly confusing. Oh and I only have about 350 more pages to go.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(August 10, 2014 at 9:16 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: This is the part where someone is supposed to get me excited about Kant's "Copernican revolution" in philosophy... because so far I find his writing dull, dry, and terribly confusing. Oh and I only have about 350 more pages to go.

Um. Okay! Good luck!
Immanuel Kant, but Genghis Khan.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
So, I'd like to see if I am understanding Kant correctly and to further explore some of the crucial points he seems to be raising against what he terms "dogmatic empiricism."

It seems he is saying that representations, that is, the objects we perceive in either the concrete or abstract, are derived via sensuous (empirical) intuitions and pure (rational) intuitions. Furthermore, in order to even have any sensuous intuitions, we must have a priori pure conceptions such as Space and Time (and hence, mathematics, causality), pure in that these are not a posteriori derived from our sensuous intuitions, but must be present for any sensuous experience to occur at all. As such, philosophy can demonstrate that at the bottom of pure conception are paradoxes which can be conceived--and in fact must be for the chain to begin--but cannot be understood because they have no correlation to our sensuous intuition. Kant then has a mind a noumenal, that is Ultimate Reality, as opposed to phenomenal reality which is all we can ever know (via our sensuous intuitions). Thus, our conceptualizations are only understood in light of our sensations and yet our sensations are only possible by means of concepts that are independent of them, making Ultimate Reality, that is objects as they are to themselves (apart from their appearance in our representations), totally unknowable.

Is that about right?
Thinking
(August 12, 2014 at 6:05 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Thinking

If you thought that sounded dry DO NOT read Kant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5104 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1348 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3415 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1542 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12355 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2559 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4880 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8190 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11648 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2259 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne