Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Patience For Out Spoken Believers
No Patience For Out Spoken Believers
Should I sit quietly and listen to a Christian who insistant on how good their life is because of Jesus when they won't give a second thought about reciprocating the same kindness when I wish to share the joys of disbelief?

Should I allow obnoxious, fundemental believers to vomit their nonsense on a regular bases all over me when I can't even mention how cool science is?

Should I be kind and polite?

Right now, I feel as though I have no patience or sympathy for the outspoken believer. I find it best to alienate them all from my life. I'm interested in open conversation, not listening to a Sunday morning sermon. I can keep my atheism to myself, if you can't keep Jesus to yourself, then I say good riddance to you.

I will shut down your beliefs faster than you can say "the power of Christ compels you."

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm tired of religion and would like to enjoy a day with a person who doesn't feel the need to save me. I just need to make more friends who are more interested in being human than being religious.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: No Patience For Out Spoken Believers
No you shouldn't have to put up with any of that, but at the same time, they need not put up with what you believe, its a two way street, no matter who is right and who is wrong.
Please... have some cool water and relax Sleepy
Water ?....na, vodka, yea that's better.
Why on earth would you even want to listen to one of those shits?

They don't handle outright disrespect very well. Tell them you don't give a shit about jesus.
Who are you hanging out with Quantum? Ever consider new friends?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If you are hanging out with quantum, how could you be lonely ??.
Rhythm nailed it. If you feel that the people in your life are making you uncomfortable due to their religious beliefs, you might do well to make a serious attempt to widen your circle of friends. Secular societies/clubs can be found nearly anywhere. Look into it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 16, 2014 at 1:20 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote: Should I sit quietly and listen to a Christian who insistant on how good their life is because of Jesus when they won't give a second thought about reciprocating the same kindness when I wish to share the joys of disbelief?

Should I allow obnoxious, fundemental believers to vomit their nonsense on a regular bases all over me when I can't even mention how cool science is?

Should I be kind and polite?

Right now, I feel as though I have no patience or sympathy for the outspoken believer. I find it best to alienate them all from my life. I'm interested in open conversation, not listening to a Sunday morning sermon. I can keep my atheism to myself, if you can't keep Jesus to yourself, then I say good riddance to you.

I will shut down your beliefs faster than you can say "the power of Christ compels you."

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm tired of religion and would like to enjoy a day with a person who doesn't feel the need to save me. I just need to make more friends who are more interested in being human than being religious.

Your not wrong at all. I find it very obnoxious that they insist on respect for their beliefs but don't do the same for others.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(September 16, 2014 at 1:20 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote: Should I allow obnoxious, fundemental believers to vomit their nonsense on a regular bases all over me when I can't even mention how cool science is?

Do they know you don't believe? Are these one-on-one conversations, or are they talking to each other while you're present?

If they know you don't believe and continue to say these things to you, it shows a fundamental lack of respect for you.

If they're talking to each other and you happen to be around, there's not a lot you can do about that. You can question the things they say if you feel like getting into that, but there's a difference between them talking about it around you and to you.

Either way, feel free to bring up how awesome science is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sincere and peaceful believers are tough people purplepurpose 4 1046 September 27, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Hardcore believers act like aliens from different planet purplepurpose 21 4971 December 15, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1225 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12648 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11850 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A World Made For Believers, Obviously By The Divine LivingNumbers6.626 17 3478 April 26, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Razzle
  3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.) topher 187 29943 April 20, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Bashed by believers Joods 47 9349 April 6, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  why is there even a word to describe non believers? ticktaka 26 5800 April 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: ticktaka
  To those who were once believers and are now atheists, some advice? *Deidre* 20 5426 March 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*