Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moderates rally against IS
Moderates rally against IS
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/muslims-in-f...extremism/

Quote:Muslims in France are gathering for a demonstration in Paris against extremist violence after the videotaped beheading of a French mountaineer.

Friday's protest comes a day after the main mosque in Paris called for the demonstration against the killings happening in the name of their religion.

About f'in time!
RE: Moderates rally against IS
The problem with these demonstrations is that they are merely a statement of denial, but denial is not an answer to Islamic extremism.

If moderate Muslims were serious about defeating extremists, they would be quoting chapter and verse from the Islamic holy books, ad nauseam, until it was abundantly clear that ISIS was distorting their peaceful religion.

But alas, when you study Islam, it quickly becomes clear that it's the extremists who have the stronger argument that they represent true Islam.

And that's why these statements of denial will amount to nothing. Zip. Because they do absolutely nothing to counter the narrative that Islam is a religion of the sword.

The apostle took part personally in 27 raids.
https://archive.org/details/TheLifeOfMohammedGuillaume

[Image: BycvLK4CEAApX9k.png]
Maybe I'm a pessimist, but when I saw this thread title, I thought it was sarcastic. I'm seriously surprised, and I also agree with mralstoner to the extent that they could put more weight into this by using verses from the Qur'an to show that ISIS is not following its teachings (which will be impossible if ISIS is actually following said teachings).
I think there are enough verses to support both positions... depends on how they cherry pick.
One or two French Muslim leaders disappear, get disemboweled, blown to tiny tiny bits, beheaded or bayonet raped and that will be the end of the moderates having a problem with ISIS.
Any teaching is open to interpretation. Who is to say which interpretation of made up holy book would be a closer approximation of what a nonexistent allah would have wished had he existed.

The point is so long as moderate Muslims are not organizing a brigade to fight the Isis, one could always take the view that their protest is more an effort to preempt any consequences of Isis violence bommerang upon them, than an effort to contribute to rolling back of Isis.
'Moderates?' They're the ones who only clap politely when they hear of some atrocity committed in the name of their faith, right?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
How many of the supposed protesters are funding ISIS, either openly, or through weasely imams ??
How many observant Catholics funded the molesting priests? More than that. Which is why religious charity isn't really much of a good thing
(September 26, 2014 at 1:30 pm)Darkstar Wrote: ... they could put more weight into this by using verses from the Qur'an to show that ISIS is not following its teachings (which will be impossible if ISIS is actually following said teachings).
I tend to agree. It's impossible to construct a moderate interpretation of Islam. There's way too much violence in Mohammed's life. As Sam Harris says:

Osama bin Laden ... is giving a truly straightforward version of Islam, and you really have to be an acrobat to figure out how he is distorting the faith.

But actually it's a moot point. Even if the moderate narrative existed, the head-chopping interpretation would also still exist. Thus the Islamic holy books would remain a clear and present danger to us.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So Much for The "Moderates" Minimalist 24 3203 January 31, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus