Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories
Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories
We've been getting into a lot of conspiracy theories lately because of our resident conspiracy theorist, Pippy. I thought it would be interesting to discuss what makes a theory and conspiracy, and what makes a person a conspiracy theorists.

We throw these words around because there are certain typical characteristics that are a significant part of why we often laugh at conspiracies and conspiracy theorists.

This website lists 10 characteristics of conspiracy theorists: http://www.urban75.org/info/conspiraloons.html
I would say out of all the characteristics I think the most telling is #1. They say either you're in on it or you've bought it completely. Once you get into that mindset that your conspiracy can survive because you can dismiss arguments against your theory so easily with either one of those excuses, and that's it. I can't respect you. Argue against the facts not the people.

http://www.skeptics.org.uk/article.php?d...eories.php

This article compares the difference between real conspiracies and paranoid conspiracy theories. A true conspiracy theory is a a proposition about what may have happened based on insufficient evidence. They are never claimed to be truth, only a possible explanation based on incomplete evidence.

On the other hand, Paranoid Conspiracy Theories, which is what we're usually dealing with when we talk about 9/11 and Reptillian Overlords. These theories are not promoted as a plausible explanation but rather the secret truth. They have a certain knowledge we all lack. Typical PCTs have characteristics of being assumed correct, you cannot challenge them, and any evidence will do.

In my opinion, I think PCTs result from people who want to believe there is a hidden cause or hidden agenda. Much like religious people have a hard time accepting or believing in a world that is not masterminded by an all-powerful being and take comfort in believing that they have special knowledge about that all-powerful god, conspiracy theorists cannot accept that coincidence happens or that governments make mistakes. There has to be a secret cause, a hidden society pulling the strings behind the scenes. Paranoid Conspiracy Theorists take comfort in their special knowledge, and I believe it's very similar to how people can take comfort in believing in God.

I think it's hard for many people to believe that the world is not controlled by some powerful entity, whether they envision it to be a god, the government, a secret society, aliens, etc... On the other hand, I think atheists, or more accurately skeptics, tend to be most comfortable with accepting coincidence, chance, and circumstance. That, however, is not to say all atheists are not conspiracy theorists.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories
The mindset defined by #1 is that of any fundamentalist, whom cannot accept anything but their own "truth" with no regard to anything else. PCT's are just another grouping similar to that of religious folks, who see a presence masterminding everything compared, just like PCT's see a hidden agenda by a shadowy undefined, unproven group.

Most people arrive to atheism by following rational thought, which entails the realization that there is simply a lack of proof for a deity and the reasoning that a omnibenevolant, omnipotent deity is impossible. Such property of rational thought inoculates, but not immunizes, one from fundamentalist tendencies.

We must fight fundamentalism with understanding and careful thought, lest we fall to seeing the world in binary opposites.
Very interesting points Eilonnwy.

We have someone at work who knows a lot about the usual anti status quo stuff, like Fluoridation, for example. Personally I think he's interesting. Sometimes I feel he takes it a bit far, like wanting to boycott France for their nuclear activities. Sometimes I wish I could be as principled as him. He tries really hard to buy fair trade, run the lowest emission car he can etc..

like I've said before though, I think a certain level of suspicion is healthy. I can't understand how any 'regular' person could live without any. Like you quoted:

"A true conspiracy theory is a a proposition about what may have happened based on insufficient evidence. They are never claimed to be truth, only a possible explanation based on incomplete evidence."

This is where I think religion resides... within the realm of reasonable doubt. I dismiss the suggestion that people need religion to explain an additional hidden cause/ agenda. Being so baseless seems totally illogical. I wouldn't even call that actual religion. Just some incredibly naive thinking, possibly on both sides.

I'm comfortable accepting coincidence, chance, and circumstance... as a theist. You logically can't factor out people with different worldviews.
(February 1, 2010 at 5:44 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: "A true conspiracy theory is a a proposition about what may have happened based on insufficient evidence. They are never claimed to be truth, only a possible explanation based on incomplete evidence."

This is where I think religion resides... within the realm of reasonable doubt. I dismiss the suggestion that people need religion to explain an additional hidden cause/ agenda. Being so baseless seems totally illogical. I wouldn't even call that actual religion. Just some incredibly naive thinking, possibly on both sides.

I'm comfortable accepting coincidence, chance, and circumstance... as a theist. You logically can't factor out people with different worldviews.

And yet people don't base their life around a conspiracy theory, as described above.

I would never say that all religious people need to believe in a God as a hidden cause and agenda, I should have phrased it better. Some people need to believe in a hidden cause or agenda whether that translates into religion or paranoid conspiracy theories.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
In that context everything is a conspiracy theory... you just pick your side.
One of the reasons I love conspriacy theories and pseudo-science is that they do one thing. They make me think in directions I don't normally venture, like a good acid trip.

They generally have something in common. That is, they take an anomoly or something that is not well understood and build a case around it.

For instance, remember when that jet liner exploded over Long Island? All eye witnesses claim the same thing, They saw a flash at the side of the plane, like it was struck by something, then they heard the explosion. Since the flash came first, it was assumed it caused the noise. However, the eye witnesses were so far away, they saw the flash of the explosion before they heard it since sound and light travel at 2 different speeds. (Do the math.)

Now when you stir in your typical government fuck ups, add a passenger list, you get one hell of a conspriracy theory.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Can anyone tell me if there are any atheists or agnostics involved in conspiracy theories. I mean other than the conspiracy to kill christmas. Seriously, does anyone know of any atheist / agnostic involved, not in a conspiracy, but a theory like 9/11 truthers, birthers, alien abduction theories etc.

Thanks
I've been dealing with the Pearl Harbor conspiracy theorists since 1965, when a friend and neighbor gave me all forty volumes of the Congressional Investigation into the Pearl Harbor Attack and asked me to "find the smoking gun". Three years later I had to tell him I couldn't find one. This neighbor later confided to me that he was a veteran. In fact he'd served with George Washington at Valley forge.
Conspiracy theorists ignore Napoleon Bonaparte's sage advice.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
(July 7, 2011 at 6:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Conspiracy theorists ignore Napoleon Bonaparte's sage advice.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

While I've never stinted in attributing stupidity to christians, I am by nature doubly generous and will grant them a full measure of inner malice as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yet another conspiracy?? Jehanne 8 654 October 14, 2022 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Let's start some conspiracy theories. Gawdzilla Sama 76 10607 July 13, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sour Candy Christmas Conspiracy Edwardo Piet 7 1744 December 10, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Invent your own conspiracy theory! Brick-top 21 7043 February 1, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Losty
  First time I ran into this mass conspiracy junk. Brian37 13 2049 November 23, 2014 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Conspiracy theory: Empire of the City? Napoléon 6 2372 July 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546
  You Know You Are A Conspiracy Theorist If… JohnDG 44 13728 October 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: JohnDG
  Gonna commit suicide. Your theories of where I go. Opsnyder 73 25316 June 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The Guilty Aliens Conspiracy stevenlchilds 13 3730 March 3, 2010 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Conspiracy Theories Rhizomorph13 102 22444 February 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused