Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are two misstakes in the title of this thread.
There are two misstakes in the title of this thread.
This thread http://atheistforums.org/thread-29177.html reminded me of the title of a book I read some time ago. I've adapted the title of the book to the title of this new thread.

I was going to bring up this smart-assery in that thread but thought better of derailing it. So I'll just ask here whether the assertion of this thread's title is true, false or other?
RE: There are two misstakes in the title of this thread.
Mistake is spelled incorrectly.
True. Then is there only one mistake?
(October 18, 2014 at 1:29 pm)whateverist Wrote: True. Then is there only one mistake?

No. The other mistake is that it says there are two, which is both simultaneously true and untrue. :p
Oh logic, you are a cruel and faithless temptress.
nope, there is only one "misstake" in the title.

It didn't claim to have two mistakes, it claimed to have two "misstakes" which it doesn't so it isn't true...

misstake!=mistake
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Logic puzzles give me a headache. :-)

(October 18, 2014 at 1:31 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(October 18, 2014 at 1:29 pm)whateverist Wrote: True. Then is there only one mistake?

No. The other mistake is that it says there are two, which is both simultaneously true and untrue. :p

Fuck both of you. Both were intentional, therefore not mistakes. :-)
You're welcome. =)

Good point. Are intentional mistakes even a coherent possibility? The Navahos apparently thought so. I've heard their artisans would deliberately make a mistake in a weaving in order to show humility toward their gods.

If we allow that the miscount of mistakes makes the title true, would its being true therefore nullify the attribution of the second mistake? I want to say no. It is true because there is one, not two, mistakes. And its being true does not change that.
I've decided you suck, whateverist. :-)

I'm sticking with intentional. Navahos included flaws, rather than made mistakes.

If the count and misspelling were both mistakes, the statement is necessarily true, even if by mistake. Any other solution and the statement is false.
Ah self referential things... Now what about the barber who shaves anyone who doesn't shave themselves?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6498 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3013 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4622 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17015 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 361500 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The flame between two darknesses: A celebration of reality FebruaryOfReason 10 4624 March 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Two Catagories? - not sexy this post. Goosebump 9 1849 December 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12227 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Two babies discussion. Mystic 213 30669 February 24, 2015 at 8:34 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
Information Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland MountainsWinAgain 2 1302 June 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb