Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Street Preachers Shot
Two Street Preachers Shot
I know many people find street preachers to be annoying, but what do you think should happen to the shooter? Should not hate crime laws cover those who do this if the victims were shot for being Christians?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/...11257.html
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

RE: Two Street Preachers Shot
I don't think hate crime laws are required for that. Attempted murder is attempted murder, no matter what a person believes or thinks.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I don't think hate crime laws are required for that. Attempted murder is attempted murder, no matter what a person believes or thinks.

I thought the law applied if the person was killed because of orientation, race, or religion, which would enhance the penaly. In this case the two were killed for preaching.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

(February 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm)Gilligan Wrote: I thought the law applied if the person was killed because of orientation, race, or religion, which would enhance the penaly. In this case the two were killed for preaching.

i didn't see where it said they were killed because they were preaching, or because they were of a certain religion. so maybe not a hate crime.
or it may be but it might not be provable what motivated this crime.
The shooter if found guilty will probably get a life sentence anyway, I don't think an extra few years will make that much difference.
Why does a hate crime (which as far as I am concerned is a thought crime) need to be penalized more?

I can understand why one would get a lesser sentence if someone for instance killed another person without intent, by accident, due to stupidity, or insanity.

But if the person doing the killing intended to kill, and it is proven that the killing was intentional, then the reason behind it should become irrelevant, and the maximum penalty given no matter what the motivation.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 5, 2010 at 12:58 pm)HornyJesus Wrote:
(February 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm)Gilligan Wrote: I thought the law applied if the person was killed because of orientation, race, or religion, which would enhance the penaly. In this case the two were killed for preaching.

i didn't see where it said they were killed because they were preaching, or because they were of a certain religion. so maybe not a hate crime.
or it may be but it might not be provable what motivated this crime.
The shooter if found guilty will probably get a life sentence anyway, I don't think an extra few years will make that much difference.
For that matter, the article seems to state that at this point, there was no information on the actual motives of the shooting.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm)Gilligan Wrote: I know many people find street preachers to be annoying, but what do you think should happen to the shooter? Should not hate crime laws cover those who do this if the victims were shot for being Christians?

They should be arrested and have a trial. I'm just curious, do you ask this because we're atheists and we generally do not like street preachers? If that's the case, I still look at street preacher's as human beings and I would never support any harm being done to them if they're not harming anyone else.
Nothing in the article suggested that they were murdered *because* they were preaching. No motive has been reported yet. The article said they were preaching at the time, but that doesn't mean it was the reason for the killing. The two men were probably also standing up...does that mean the killer was motivated because he hated people who stand up?

Quote:He was expected to be taken to the Palm Beach County Jail later today and have a bond hearing Thursday. Boynton Beach spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said this afternoon he was still being questioned and she would not immediately provide information about a motive.
(February 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm)Gilligan Wrote: I know many people find street preachers to be annoying, but what do you think should happen to the shooter? Should not hate crime laws cover those who do this if the victims were shot for being Christians?

No, but I also do not support hate crimes of any kind.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
A pair of sincere, ignorant,self righteous twats became shot.

Do I give a flying fuck about them? No I do not. However, I feel a little uneasy about people going around shooting annoying twats,what with being one and all. Besides it's against the law. (except in Texas)

Hate crimes bother me,but so do the laws against hate crimes and hate speech. Sufficient laws exist to punish murder and protect the community. Laws against hate speech are a form of censorship which do not address the issue. It's a bit like giving someone an aspirin for their cancer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Two-Source Hypthothesis LinuxGal 2 325 September 4, 2023 at 9:11 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4206 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 608 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two audio books for Christians (and, everyone else) Jehanne 3 567 January 16, 2019 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Two wrongs make a right Graufreud 19 1718 July 21, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Two More Xhristard Assholes Killed Their Kid Minimalist 17 4481 June 25, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  There are ONLY two types of Christians! 21stCenturyIconoclast! 60 13614 June 22, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  A Simple Way to Shut Up a Street Preacher Jonah 44 28327 August 12, 2016 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  This Movie Needs A Guy and Two Robots Making Fun Of It Minimalist 7 1476 June 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Discounting God in two words. Foxaèr 41 5139 April 2, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: athrock