Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Real Purpose of an Atheist Forum?
What is the Real Purpose of an Atheist Forum?
And having Atheist Organizations?

Why do Atheists need to congregate and form these organizations?

What are they trying to accomplish by coming together?

Who gets to lead an Atheist group?

What kind of credentials must the leader have?
RE: What is the Real Purpose of an Atheist Forum?
What is the real purpose of a flock of birds?

And having a form of bird organization?

Why do some birds need to congregate and form these organizations?

What are they trying to accomplish by coming together?

Who gets to lead the flock?

What kind of characteristics must the leader have?

And finally,

How is babby formed?
starbucks Wrote:What is the Real Purpose of an Atheist Forum?
So that atheists can discuss things related to atheism...or debate with theists about the existence of God.

Quote:And having Atheist Organizations?
So that atheists can organise themselves.

Quote:Why do Atheists need to congregate and form these organizations?
Because we are human...it's what we do.

Quote:What are they trying to accomplish by coming together?
A sense of normality, re-iterating to themselves that they aren't alone in the world, that other people feel the way they do.

Quote:Who gets to lead an Atheist group?
Whoever is elected to run it.

Quote:What kind of credentials must the leader have?
Being an atheist kinda helps.
Probably also as a shelter for being badgered and misunderstood from society. A place to safely express your opinions without reprisal from your parents, many good productive societal uses.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
So what kind of things are happening at these atheist organizations? I come from a culture where philosophy and morality is separate from the religion. There's no temple to go worship a god or anything like that. We only have Shamans, if you believe in that then you would go seek him for spiritual healing. Like the way a person would go to the doctor if they felt sick. But for those who don't believe in Shaman powers, we just go on for years without doing any of that stuff. In other words, we just live our every day life: work, play, eat, sleep, etc. It's not necessary for a person to observe our religion so nobody gets ostracized when they don't. I guess that's why I don't understand why atheists are compelled to get together. Couldn't they just live their everyday lives and forget about those who are religious?
We stand against religion because it leads to people making decisions and trying to enforce religious agenda on everyone else...

We stand against:

Indoctrinating children too young to think for themselves
Taking away the rights of gays and treating them like second class citizens
Bullshit religious theories being taught in schools
Taking away a womans right to chose to have an abortion

ETC...

If there were no Atheist or Secular organisations standing up for people who are mistreated or decisions on entirely religious grounds then nobody would do it.
But couldn't they just do that under secular organizations? Why do they have to be a separate organization specific to atheists?

Plus, it is everybody's right to voice their opinions (which is obviously going to reflect their personal beliefs) to their government because those policies will affect them, too. Obviously, they want lawmakers to enforce policies that align with the kind of society they want. Thus, Christians have every bit of right as gays, blacks and other minorities, etc. to push for overall policies that eventually affect them as well.

It sounds like what you're asking for is censorship on religious teachings. Personally, I think everything should be put out on the table and each person can make their own decision about things. I really don't think children are getting over exposed when there are so many other stuff in the world that is non-religious thrown at them. And trust me, it isn't just religious groups that are against homosexuality. There are many cultures that are dead set against it. They're also against abortion as well. Plus, even women who have had abortions aren't so proud about it either. If it's a right, why do they have to hide it?
(February 8, 2010 at 7:51 am)starbucks Wrote: But couldn't they just do that under secular organizations? Why do they have to be a separate organization specific to atheists?

Atheist organisations aren't very common, but are a place where you can exchange ideas with like-minded individuals, just like any demographic has their organisations. Why is it weird that there is an Atheist organisation and not that there are auto clubs?

Also, secular organisations would not necessarily be Atheists, a lot of smaller religious groups fighting for their right to not have anyone else's belief shoved down their throats just like Atheists are. It's a sort of common-ground against malignant religions.

Quote:Plus, it is everybody's right to voice their opinions (which is obviously going to reflect their personal beliefs) to their government because those policies will affect them, too. Obviously, they want lawmakers to enforce policies that align with the kind of society they want. Thus, Christians have every bit of right as gays, blacks and other minorities, etc. to push for overall policies that eventually affect them as well.

Christian groups often aren't interested in policies that affect them, they are interested in affecting other people by blocking civil rights for other religions, the non religious, gays, women etc. I have no problem with them being political on political issues, none at all, it's when they try to take someone elses liberty that i have a problem.

Quote:It sounds like what you're asking for is censorship on religious teachings.

In state schools yes, teaching religion in school also impacts on non-religious students and students from other religions. If you remove religion from schools and make it a personal pursuit you don't have people suffering through laws and lessons they want nothing to do with.

If the school is a private Christian school then they can teach whatever religious dogma they like.

Quote: Personally, I think everything should be put out on the table and each person can make their own decision about things. I really don't think children are getting over exposed when there are so many other stuff in the world that is non-religious thrown at them.

I'm afraid that doesn't make too much sense, would you care to clarify?

Quote: And trust me, it isn't just religious groups that are against homosexuality. There are many cultures that are dead set against it. They're also against abortion as well. Plus, even women who have had abortions aren't so proud about it either.

I'm not only against religious groups taking away civil liberty, i am against anyone doing it.

Quote:If it's a right, why do they have to hide it?

Who's right? and hiding what?
Well it seems that atheist organizations/groups have turned their mission into a sort of anti-religion campaign. When I hear of people doing that, sorry but it reminds me of hate groups. As a minority in this country I am all too familiar with that. People claim they're just exercising their freedom of speech or that they are just being proud of their skin color but that's just the surface. Usually, they exist to combat a group they oppose and not because they really want to make the world a better place.

I mean, members of an auto club is talking about autos and not about the people who don't care very much for autos.

I do agree with you though on Christian groups trying to block other religious groups from observing their faith. There needs to be some respect there.

As far as school goes, I think religions should be taught given that it's the appropriate context. For example, in social studies when you're studying about a group of people. The only problem is will the teacher teaching it be informed enough to instruct it. That would be a better argument as to why religion should not be taught.

When I said everything should be put on the table, I meant that everybody should be well-informed before making decisions. Otherwise, people are believe stereotypes and that just perpetuates the wedge that already exists.

As far as civil liberty, when it comes to abortions I don't think it should be a quick fix though, which I fear some women are using it just as such. We can say it's her body but the abortion doesn't solve her problems. I know of some who had the procedure done and they're just psychologically messed up afterwards. And somehow I think homosexual marriages is more a problem with health insurance companies than it is with religious groups. The Christians are probably the least of the gay people's worries. It's the health insurance companies!

And the hiding goes back to the women having abortions.
Interesting points starbucks.

To digress...

In the UK Christians aren't allowed to descriminate on the grounds of religion when appointing people to work in or for a church. So this should also apply to atheist organisations. Wouldn't that be a blast... atheist organisations forced to employ theists Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist forum Discord Rhizomorph13 19 1055 December 10, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Atheist Forum Accent Tag: Round 3!! Clueless Morgan 98 7901 November 28, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2098 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 8680 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Whats going on with Thinking Atheist forum? Brian37 23 4310 July 1, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2088 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ideal Atheist Forum Couples Jenny A 212 34587 November 23, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Owner of Atheist Forum BlackSwordsman 10 2614 June 2, 2014 at 10:16 am
Last Post: LostLocke
Thumbs Up What is atheist forum about? Anomalocaris 14 3867 June 8, 2011 at 1:51 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Theists and individual purpose for existence. TruthWorthy 3 1279 September 5, 2010 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates