Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist more moral according to Brits.
Atheist more moral according to Brits.
Atheists more moral according to Brits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvon0Fr1L4#t=143
RE: Atheist more moral according to Brits.
The guy is quoting this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/...94442.html
Thanks
Yeah for the Brits. I don't think that's the answers you'd get in the U.S. though.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
It's not a popularity contest, and most Brits not being religious means that sort of result is about what you'd expect. The nonreligious ones are going to think religion is, at best, unnecessary for morality. I'd like to see the UK's prison statistics by religion to see if there's any difference in proportional representation. I know the representation of atheists in prisons in the USA is remarkably low, but I expect that's partly an artifact of US culture being such that atheists have to be atypical to buck the pressure to conform. Where it's the norm, their prison representation should be higher...but is it as high as prison representation from religions?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I will stipulate though, my reason for posting this isn't to claim that atheists morality is a patent owned by atheists. Only to point out that it is a myth that atheists cannot be moral. If the U.S. is going to value the U.K as their friend, then our population needs to stop fearing atheists as well.

I still will vote for a "Nuns on the bus" believer before I will vote for an Ayn Rand atheist, and believe me there are selfish atheists on par with right wing corporate loving Christians.
I think for many Brits, hypocrisy among many of the devout has eroded religion's claim to virtue.

I am glad Britain is a largely secular country in the 21st century, with only the vestiges of a state church and monarchy, both very weak nowadays.

The progressive agenda has led to the legalisation of gay marriage in Britain, which shows the shifting moral climate of a post-Christian country.
(November 14, 2014 at 7:23 am)Brian37 Wrote: Atheists more moral according to Brits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvon0Fr1L4#t=143

Yep, that makes sense to me.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(November 14, 2014 at 11:14 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I know the representation of atheists in prisons in the USA is remarkably low, but I expect that's partly an artifact of US culture being such that atheists have to be atypical to buck the pressure to conform. Where it's the norm, their prison representation should be higher...but is it as high as prison representation from religions?
One tiny gripe I've always had about this is that legality and morality are not interchangeable. People find themselves in prison because they did something illegal, not because they did something immoral. For the same reason, the lower representation of atheists in prisons is partly due to there being fewer atheists to arrest ...but mostly due to there being fewer atheists who break the law (in the US obvs). It's not really a morality thing. Of course we have to mention that a quarter of our prisoners are being held as such for non-violent drug related crimes (and there's the danger of allowing our sense of morality and legality to intersect so firmly...imo). A little more than a tenth are there for "public order" - which..I shit you not...contains "moral and decency offenses" -facepalm-. A little more than a third....property related (thieves have mouths to feed, same as the rest of us). There are even numbers on a segment of the prison population called "unspecific"...mull that shit over....incarcerated for "unspecific" reasons...lol. Only 1% or so, but it's the most amusing 1%. Less than half are incarcerated for something we might call unambiguously "immoral". Violent crime. Even in that portion....I'm certain that there is a number that we might be hard pressed to demonstrate with any certainty that it was a moral failing that led to their incarceration.

The strongest "moral conclusion" that I can reach, looking at those numbers..says nothing about the prisoners or any disparity between faith and faithlessness...................just my two cents.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, Brits. How's Brexit Going? Minimalist 190 15632 February 4, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price Divinity 13 842 September 15, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  All migrants are violent according to GOP.... Brian37 0 269 August 23, 2018 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Sorry, Brits - "Daft Twerp" Doesn't Begin to Cover It Minimalist 17 3124 October 23, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Okay Brits - You Have The Power. Minimalist 15 4576 July 16, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  The church has the moral high ground? brewer 14 1850 February 2, 2017 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hey, Brits - Your Twat Has Delusions of Grandeur! Minimalist 44 4873 January 30, 2017 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Tax Avoidance: Moral or Not? ukatheist 36 2589 November 18, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Brits, what do you think of Corbyn? abaris 21 2588 September 17, 2015 at 9:25 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Lying moral shitbags zebo-the-fat 3 813 May 21, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: vorlon13