Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 12:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Avoidance: Moral or Not?
Tax Avoidance: Moral or Not?
So, this thread was prompted by a comment in another thread.

For the purposes of the discussion, I have provided my definitions as follows:

Tax Planning: Structuring tax affairs in such a way as to gain a tax advantage, where that advantage is explicitly allowed/encouraged by law. This is legal.

Tax Avoidance: Structuring tax affairs in such a way as to gain a tax advantage where that advantage exploits a loophole or complex structure that exists for the primary purpose of avoiding taxation, that is against the intention of the law, but not explicitly forbidden. This is legal.

Tax Evasion: Structuring tax affairs in such a way to gain a tax advantage that is explicitly forbidden by law, or by simply failing to comply with the law altogether. This is illegal.

So, tax avoidance - legal, but is it moral?
RE: Tax Avoidance: Moral or Not?
Can you tell us what the loop holes or complex structures are?

Wonder if my financial advisor/broker considers himself amoral. We talk every Dec about reducing my tax exposure.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I don't see why it's immoral, personally. Ask yourself the same question - if you found out you were paying more taxes than you need to, would you stop and limit yourself to only what was needed? Or would you continue to pay the extra taxes? I would limit myself to only what I legally needed to pay in taxes, rather than extra.

What I DO think is immoral is not giving to charity or giving back to the community in any personal way. Everyone should be doing this to a certain extent, if they can afford to. Especially the rich.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 17, 2016 at 9:49 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Can you tell us what the loop holes or complex structures are?

Wonder if my financial advisor/broker considers himself amoral. We talk every Dec about reducing my tax exposure.
An example of a failed UK tax avoidance scheme (not a great site, but it explains the mechanics of the scheme well enough):

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ibtim...rc-1448258
A country runs largely on taxes. It can be immoral to try to avoid this, if you're very rich. Nobody needs to be a billionairre to live comfortably, and feed their family. Also we should have learned in the last century that the economy flourishes when you have higher taxes on the rich.

Of course there's also the idea that poorer people really shouldn't have to pay much, if any, in taxes, because they're struggling enough as it is.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

IMO there's a difference between using standard deductions to reduce your tax liability, and using loopholes that were designed for situations that do not match yours, but can be exploited.

So I would say tax avoidance isn't moral. You're actively abusing the system for your own gain.

Taxes are a necessary "evil" that aren't really all that evil. We pay them so that society keeps running; they help pay for public services, they help keep us safe.
My property tax bill is around 3X my federal tax. There are no deductions, write offs, considerations, rebates, spliffs, nothing. I pay it or I lose the farm and my livelihood.

I'd like to see the whole country be taxed at that level of unmitigatable certitude.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 17, 2016 at 10:33 am)ukatheist Wrote:
(November 17, 2016 at 9:49 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Can you tell us what the loop holes or complex structures are?

An example of a failed UK tax avoidance scheme (not a great site, but it explains the mechanics of the scheme well enough):

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ibtim...rc-1448258

That's a scheme. I consider that as bad as any other "scheme" to avoid taxes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 17, 2016 at 11:24 am)vorlon13 Wrote: My property tax bill is around 3X my federal tax.  There are no deductions, write offs, considerations, rebates, spliffs, nothing.  I pay it or I lose the farm and my livelihood.

I'd like to see the whole country be taxed at that level of unmitigatable certitude.

I'd love to see churches taxed that way!
I guess I don't see tax-law compliance as an issue with much of a moral dimension.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the Fed can print an unlimited amount of money, why does anybody need to pay tax? ignoramus 12 947 April 24, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump and Tax Fraud epronovost 10 1110 October 4, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price Divinity 13 856 September 15, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Tax Bill: Pro-Life? Pro-Family?? Bullshit Minimalist 30 4164 April 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: John V
  IRS tax scam phone call DO NOT ANSWER. Brian37 20 2347 January 30, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Tax cuts passed in Senate c172 34 4008 December 7, 2017 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Drich
  The Dickhead Went To Give A Speech About the Bullshit Tax Bill Minimalist 6 1349 November 29, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Ken Ham is a Tax Dodger chimp3 17 3243 July 22, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BREAKING! The Great Trump Tax Hype Bombshell! A Theist 56 8474 March 22, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: John V
  The church has the moral high ground? brewer 14 1855 February 2, 2017 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: brewer