Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Brits. How's Brexit Going?
So, Brits. How's Brexit Going?
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/uks-bre...son-steps/

Quote:UK’s ‘Brexit’ disaster accelerates as anti-EU foreign secretary Boris Johnson steps down

Quote:The United Kingdom’s government was thrown into further turmoil on Monday after UK foreign minister Boris Johnson suddenly announced his resignation.

Johnson’s resignation comes amid outrage from anti-European U.K. officials who are angered by the “Brexit” plan adopted by Conservative Prime Minister Theresa May.

As someone once noted:  Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Of course, when you add grandstanding politicians into the mix it can really fuck things up.
RE: So, Brits. How's Brexit Going?
As a Brit, I must say brexit is the most stupid thing the UK has done in a very long time, before the referendum people were told lies (by both sides) and mostly didn't think about what would happen if we left the EU. As far as the government is concerned, they had no plan to start with and now time is running out they still have no plan, as with most politicians they are more interested their own power than the good of the country.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

From what I've learned from our family, it hasn't affected individuals yet since the initial announcement, which killed my father-in-law's investments. It's also created a lot of fear for students who travel within the EU freely for school. It's hard to say what will happen to them. Until the ball is rolling too fast to stop it, none of these people will feel the full weight of what the country has done.
I'm still not convinced that Brexit will happen.
(July 9, 2018 at 1:39 pm)Shell B Wrote: From what I've learned from our family, it hasn't affected individuals yet since the initial announcement, which killed my father-in-law's investments. It's also created a lot of fear for students who travel within the EU freely for school. It's hard to say what will happen to them. Until the ball is rolling too fast to stop it, none of these people will feel the full weight of what the country has done.

We are seeing the effects, shops are closing at a faster rate, what shops there are are emptying and things seem to be more difficult generally.
Brexit is slightly worse than I thought it would be and I thought it would a disaster.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 9, 2018 at 1:48 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(July 9, 2018 at 1:39 pm)Shell B Wrote: From what I've learned from our family, it hasn't affected individuals yet since the initial announcement, which killed my father-in-law's investments. It's also created a lot of fear for students who travel within the EU freely for school. It's hard to say what will happen to them. Until the ball is rolling too fast to stop it, none of these people will feel the full weight of what the country has done.

We are seeing the effects, shops are closing at a faster rate, what shops there are are emptying and things seem to be more difficult generally.
Brexit is slightly worse than I thought it would be and I thought it would a disaster.

Not where our family is, but I'm sure it hits different parts of the country in different ways.
It's affected academic funding. The average person on the street though won't notice any difference. That is, until they lose their job that is. But this is actually a problem. If things got much worse before Brexit actually happened then there would be a chance to stop it. At least Scotland would have a chance of getting its independence and rejoining. But in all likelihood we'll have to leave, wait for the baby boomers to die off and then rejoin.

If Labour weren't so fucking useless they could run on an anti Brexit platform, get in and stop it. To be honest though, Britain probably needs to get severely fucked by Brexit in the same way that America needs to get fucked voting in a fascist in order to realise the consequences of things.
My sister-in-law worried that it would affect her PhD funding, but it hasn't so far. I'd say things will get tough for everyone in that department soon.
My British friends are pissed at brexit, mostly cause they like to travel and many live in or have worked in other European countries.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(July 9, 2018 at 2:10 pm)Shell B Wrote: My sister-in-law worried that it would affect her PhD funding, but it hasn't so far. I'd say things will get tough for everyone in that department soon.

I was told last time I was in academia that academic recessions hit about 2 or 3 years after they hit society. This is because funding is applied for years before it is to be given, so when a recession comes the funding has already been given well in advance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Trump going to Prison? FrustratedFool 392 20258 February 22, 2024 at 2:55 am
Last Post: GUBU
  NAACP going to far? brewer 17 1237 October 30, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone going to watch the Jan 6th hearings? Brian37 39 3363 July 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Going a bit far with pronoun usage again Foxaèr 20 1368 May 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is The NRA Going Bye-Bye? BrianSoddingBoru4 46 2041 August 9, 2020 at 5:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  They're going to catch sh*t for this. Brian37 8 860 April 25, 2019 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The market and where the economy is going. Jackalope 19 2257 December 15, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Looks As If Brexit Is Complicated, Too. Minimalist 10 1368 June 23, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  LOL. What Is She Going To Do? Minimalist 5 1082 February 23, 2018 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Brexit Whoops: The Devil Is In The Details Minimalist 11 1288 December 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet