Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery?
Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery?
I left mormonism, had been depressed two years before then, and when I left things got worse.

Anyone else experienced this?

Anyone ever felt so insecure and empty after leaving an extremist dogma?

I think, especially in the case of mormonism, the practitioner of any serious sect has to sacrifice their identity for the sake of the church. For someone who has mental health issues, this creates another bag of problems to heals.

Just a thought.

Religion is poison.

I don't blame it, I take responsibility for my own fate and emotions, but I think things would be easier without the dogmatic variable of absolute servitude.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery?
If Mormonism was your only tie to God, and you severed it.. then perhaps that is what you miss. Just because you can demonstrate a religious movement to be false does not automatically disqualify God.

Maybe it is just time for you to seek God outside of a structured religion for a while.
(November 20, 2014 at 12:07 am)Drich Wrote: If Mormonism was your only tie to God, and you severed it.. then perhaps that is what you miss. Just because you can demonstrate a religious movement to be false does not automatically disqualify God.

Maybe it is just time for you to seek God outside of a structured religion for a while.

That's a kind suggestion but been there done that. I've never had a "god" to feel attached to and I never found him/her/it...whatever this thing is supposed to be.

You're right though, logically, the folly of mormonism does not imply the folly of theism in general. But that was not my process in the beginning. I kind of started in both directions. Becoming a mormon apologist on one end of the candle and becoming skeptical of theism in relation to the Abrahamic religions on the other side of the candle. You could say I got burnt out. haha.
Look on the bright side, look around you, anyone you know gonna burn in hell?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I think if you have mental health issues, leaving the relationship to your general social circle will make things worse, I wonder how important the role of religion even is in that case.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm very sorry to hear how it has affected you. I have heard similar stories many times on the Atheist Experience, how religion has been so drilled in that pulling it out is painful and leaves wounds.

It's very sad that religious people will take advantage of your situation and try to say you "just need god again". Religion has nothing to do with god, it's just poison like you say. It's control, power and delusion.

I hope things improve for you, I empathize as I too am severely depressed, I'm on very high doses of anti depressants (I have M.E. and most likely a genetic vulnerability to depression). All I can suggest is to try to meet up with as many atheists as possible, try to form a new social framework of people who care about you as a person, not just because of dumbass beliefs. If anyone treats you worse because you have left religion, they are a despicable person and are just proving that "religious person" is not the same as "good person". In fact I have generally found the opposite to be the case. The more religious someone is, the nicer they are not.

Keep posting on here, and focus on the fact that you now live in reality. I know that can be hard, I find depression gives me a hyper awareness of reality. It's more difficult to brush aside the horrible things in the world.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The mental stress of leaving a religious faith behind is precisely the same mental stress as a child giving up his favourite blankie - intellectually, you know you've outgrown it, but you miss the security and reassurance.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Good analogy. Religion is a comfort blanket against the world, and gives simple pretend answers to the uncertain.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 19, 2014 at 11:34 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: I left mormonism, had been depressed two years before then, and when I left things got worse.

I think, especially in the case of mormonism, the practitioner of any serious sect has to sacrifice their identity for the sake of the church. For someone who has mental health issues, this creates another bag of problems to heals.

Just a thought.

Religion is poison.

I don't blame it, I take responsibility for my own fate and emotions, but I think things would be easier without the dogmatic variable of absolute servitude.

It's understandable.

As a member of an organised religion with strict doctrine you are likely to have been subject to something called 'impairment of autonomy'. As you were already experiencing depression and most likely a sense of lack of control over things that affect your life (lack of autonomy), any further loss of control i.e. the removal of the religious doctrine that propped up areas of your fragile psychology, would have stripped the autonomy you retained of any meaningful context and led to a sense of even less control (less autonomy) and possibly more depression.

Which seems to be the case.

Psychological states rarely change overnight, it takes time to repair and heal. The more your life outside of organised religion takes shape and becomes more concrete, the more your feeling of autonomy will return.

You will be fine, just be patient with yourself and your recovery. See a doctor about some meds to help you through the depression, if you have a headache you take something for it, phycology is no different.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(November 20, 2014 at 4:25 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm very sorry to hear how it has affected you. I have heard similar stories many times on the Atheist Experience, how religion has been so drilled in that pulling it out is painful and leaves wounds.

It's very sad that religious people will take advantage of your situation and try to say you "just need god again". Religion has nothing to do with god, it's just poison like you say. It's control, power and delusion.

I hope things improve for you, I empathize as I too am severely depressed, I'm on very high doses of anti depressants (I have M.E. and most likely a genetic vulnerability to depression). All I can suggest is to try to meet up with as many atheists as possible, try to form a new social framework of people who care about you as a person, not just because of dumbass beliefs. If anyone treats you worse because you have left religion, they are a despicable person and are just proving that "religious person" is not the same as "good person". In fact I have generally found the opposite to be the case. The more religious someone is, the nicer they are not.

Keep posting on here, and focus on the fact that you now live in reality. I know that can be hard, I find depression gives me a hyper awareness of reality. It's more difficult to brush aside the horrible things in the world.

Thank you for being so open and encouraging.

I would concur, depression often does perpetuate a hyper awareness of reality.

May I ask if your depression has been perpetuated due to a religious past?

For me, I was originally diagnosed with major depression and general anxiety but after leaving church 2 years after diagnoses I was then diagnosed with borderline personality disorder (BPD). I really hate labels and diagnoses, it doesn't solve the problem, but it's helping me understand my problem on a deeper level. It would make sense that while never having an identity and then leaving one that was assumed (mormonism) would really make one with BPD become severely symptomatic.

But yeah, I've been doing my best to stay involved and create a new community.

After nearly being homeless and being unemployed, I moved away from the city, back to the country with my parents, found a job, and now I'm just trying to distract myself with writing, music, and studying for my tech certifications.

Luckily, my family, for being mormon, have been pretty awesome. My extended family on the other end...not so much. Or atleast they have a funny way of being supportive.

I'm just really looking for that day when my life will be balanced again.

(November 20, 2014 at 6:32 am)ManMachine Wrote:
(November 19, 2014 at 11:34 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: I left mormonism, had been depressed two years before then, and when I left things got worse.

Just a thought.

Religion is poison.

It's understandable.

As a member of an organised religion with strict doctrine you are likely to have been subject to something called 'impairment of autonomy'. As you were already experiencing depression and most likely a sense of lack of control over things that affect your life (lack of autonomy), any further loss of control i.e. the removal of the religious doctrine that propped up areas of your fragile psychology, would have stripped the autonomy you retained of any meaningful context and led to a sense of even less control (less autonomy) and possibly more depression.

Which seems to be the case.

Psychological states rarely change overnight, it takes time to repair and heal. The more your life outside of organised religion takes shape and becomes more concrete, the more your feeling of autonomy will return.

You will be fine, just be patient with yourself and your recovery. See a doctor about some meds to help you through the depression, if you have a headache you take something for it, phycology is no different.

MM

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

You're right. It will take a long time. We're talking 20 years and a half living under the same controlling dogma and culture structure.

Also, it's funny you've mentioned autonomy. I think you nailed it right on the head. I don't think I have ever felt a sense of autonomy. So on the bright side, it's comforting to know that after living in a fallacious and irrational lifestyle as a person who is always acted upon, I am now learning to be the person who acts. Instead of blaming and being victim to emotion, I'm trying to be the person who acts.

Anyways, I've been off of meds for about 4 months now. I've tried many medications, including medical marijuana, but so far nothing works better than coping techniques. But if things get worse, I will definitely be looking into better medication.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3806 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1231 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Health class christian teacher..... brewer 7 743 March 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: no one
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 928 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10792 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12183 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  "Losing virginity" - what is being lost here? Fake Messiah 36 4018 September 12, 2018 at 9:14 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 826 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Religion and health - not exactly what we've been told.... Angrboda 4 725 July 22, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4186 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic