Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama and Ferguson
Obama and Ferguson
I was disappointed in President Obama the other night when he gave his ten or so minute speech after the grand jury decision was announced in Ferguson. He rightfully stated his sadness over the death of Michael Brown and for his family, but he didn't even mention feeling any relief or concern for Officer Wilson and his family. In fact he made no mention at all of their situation. I wonder if he really cared.
RE: Obama and Ferguson
That fucker got all the help he needed from the D.A.
Why Wilson? As opposed to the business owners with burned out/looted shops?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(November 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Why Wilson? As opposed to the business owners with burned out/looted shops?
You're right there, Jenny.
(November 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm)Lek Wrote: I was disappointed in President Obama the other night when he gave his ten or so minute speech after the grand jury decision was announced in Ferguson. He rightfully stated his sadness over the death of Michael Brown and for his family, but he didn't even mention feeling any relief or concern for Officer Wilson and his family. In fact he made no mention at all of their situation. I wonder if he really cared.

What was he supposed to say? 'Congratulations to officer Wilson, for being a lousy cop and not getting punished for it'? or 'Let us all keep officer Wilson and his family in our thoughts, since no one is going to stand trial for the shooting of an unarmed teen'?

Come on.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah! What about the poor white man in a position of authority, who literally got away with murder! Who will tell his story?

When will the United States government start caring about adult white males?! Confusedhock:
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm)Lek Wrote: I was disappointed in President Obama the other night when he gave his ten or so minute speech after the grand jury decision was announced in Ferguson. He rightfully stated his sadness over the death of Michael Brown and for his family, but he didn't even mention feeling any relief or concern for Officer Wilson and his family. In fact he made no mention at all of their situation. I wonder if he really cared.

You know, people like you are the reason why I think the biggest mistake of Obama's presidency is all the wasted effort and squandered political capital he spent on trying to be accommodating to conservatives, trying to compromise and be reasonable with them. You guys are going to hate him no matter what he does or says. He can offer all the compromises and olive branches in the world and you won't be satisfied with anything less than him resigning and giving the presidency to Ted Cruz.

When the Ferguson situation broke out, as president, I would have commented how disappointed I was that the police decided to act like a bunch of drunken frat boys eager to play with their shiny new toys they got for Christmas, how their thuggish, goose-stepping behavior is an example why we should avoid militarizing the police and the police chief needs to be fired.

That, by the way, is the story that is lost in our discussion Michael Brown. As much as his death was a tragedy, as is the fact that we won't see any accountability for it, the jack-booted crackdown of peaceful protesters, the violent aggression against the media (they were fired upon and illegally arrested) and the wild, trigger happy police firing tear gas into people's homes and back-yards is the bigger story. We've gone past a shooting of a black teen into much larger issues.

Creeping fascism has been a serious problem for America since 9/11. We've been willing to give up too much liberty and too much privacy for a little safety. At some point, we need to ask who's going to protect us from our protectors.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Yeah! What about the poor white man in a position of authority, who literally got away with murder! Who will tell his story?

When will the United States government start caring about adult white males?! Confusedhock:

So, guilty until proven more innocent?
(November 27, 2014 at 1:51 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: So, guilty until proven more innocent?

How about "let's have a public trial, bring both sides of the case and conduct this procedure as we're supposed to."?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 27, 2014 at 1:51 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote:
(November 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Yeah! What about the poor white man in a position of authority, who literally got away with murder! Who will tell his story?

So, guilty until proven more innocent?

Can't be proven either way without a trial, now can it? I'm sorry, but I'm not going to feel much sympathy for the guy who got away without even the risk of being proven guilty. The man who benefits from a failure of the judiciary system is not the victim here.

Besides, I've seen as much of the evidence as anyone else. Am I not allowed to come to a conclusion on this just because it doesn't align with yours?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obama: This simple '60 Minutes' question was 'too tough' for Trump WinterHold 7 787 October 31, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Trump Projected His Academic Shortcomings Onto Obama Cepheus Ace 15 1088 March 8, 2019 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  How Long Until the WLB Tries To Blame Obama? Minimalist 37 4395 February 11, 2018 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Jeff Sessions Rescinding Obama era pot rules Antares 48 6660 January 7, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Trump Thinks Britian Is Spying On Him On Orders From Barrack Obama Amarok 94 20459 March 23, 2017 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Obama burns Drumpf once again! Brian37 2 916 October 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  At least Obama admits it abaris 27 3096 April 11, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Goosebump
  Obama Champions Treatment for Addiction AFTT47 3 761 March 29, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Every Student Succeeds Act, passed and to be signed by Obama Minimalist 1 1180 December 10, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Obama finally apologizes for murder by drone strike... since it was an American Mudhammam 26 4066 April 25, 2015 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut