Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous
Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous
What can I say. I have a penchant for fucking around with recent thread titles. This may prove more challenging even that deciding on which ten are the most ridiculous.

Jeez, you know, I don't think it would be so hard as I first thought. Most of what Jeebus taught is pretty good stuff.

Never mind.
RE: Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous
To be responsiable to what you have been given

To do unto others as you would have them do unto you

To provide forgiveness for sin

The call to protect feed widows and orhpans

The call to feed the hungry, to cloth the poor.

To Go the extra mile to give and do more than what is expected

The strong ties to family and community (A man can not serve in the church unless he first cares for and protects his family first)

The principle that one must forgive transgression before our own are forgiven

The fact that God Has promised to open Himself to you personally if you simply A/S/K Him to

The fact that we are no longer tied to the law of sin as a means to righteousness/The idea that we can not earn ourway to heaven by our deeds

The command that we are to respect and tailor our selves in such a way as to not cause weaker brother to stumble in sin.

The freedom we have in everything we do from worship, to beliefs and how we live our lives.

The fact that we have a God that would go to such extremes to ensure salvation to those who not only don't deserve it, but would be doomed to Hell without such a sacrifice.

Remember for the time these things were written, they were all very counter culture, and would still be if not for the examples of 2000 years of Christianity and it's influence over humanity.
RE: Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous
Quote:To Go the extra mile to give and do more than what is expected

Actually I think Jesus' commandment to give away everything you own, including the shirt off your back if asked, is pretty ridiculous.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I have got five anyway

1.The earth is floating in space and is attached to nothing. "He hangd the earth on nothing"

2.The earth is a globe "circle of the earth"

3.Blood is the reason for life and health "For the life of the flesh is in the blood

4.The ocean floor contains deep mountain like valleys " I went down to the moorings of the mountains"

5.A belief in basic sanitation "When he who has a discharge is cleansed of his discharge, then he shall... wash his clothes and bathe his body in running water, then he shall be clean"

[sorry to nitpick but the earth is not a globe. It's an oblate spheroid http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_the_Earth . ]

Also depends on what you mean by 'attached to nothing'. The earth in space is 'attached', gravitationally speaking, to all manner of celestial bodies, including the sun, and if you want to go further out SagA*
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(December 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: [sorry to nitpick but the earth is not a globe. It's an oblate spheroid http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_the_Earth]

They lied to me at school.

What does that also mean that the encyclopedia Britannica wasn't made during a random explosion at a printing press?

(December 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm)Chad32 Wrote:
Quote:To Go the extra mile to give and do more than what is expected

Actually I think Jesus' commandment to give away everything you own, including the shirt off your back if asked, is pretty ridiculous.

If you look at the Koine Greek the Idea being expressed is that we are not allowed to have something like our shirts/cloaks, time or distance keep us from helping when someone is truly in need.

(It's a saying that takes on a slightly different meaning in the english)
"Hanging the world on nothing" is at least more accurate than saying it sits on pillars, but still doesn't quite explain what is going on.

That doesn't make much sense, Drich. I think Jesus was saying pretty plainly that you shouldn't have material things, which is possible but not very practical. Then again I suppose you could just ask for your shirt back when you need it again.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 20, 2014 at 2:25 pm)Chad32 Wrote: "Hanging the world on nothing" is at least more accurate than saying it sits on pillars, but still doesn't quite explain what is going on.

It does you have to think about it logically which have heard you are good at, apparently.

Er wow I dunno man. I'm really struggling. I'm coming up with things like, "people die" which is mundane and only half of a belief. The only good things are entirely butt-obvious things like love thy neighbour. Others are just some vaguely factual stuff they happened to get right.

Just about everything else is ludicrous.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1008 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1903 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2522 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87866 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8645 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2176 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1740 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Even Duterte Get It Minimalist 5 1397 September 29, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 70376 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5170 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger