Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little bit scary for the world...
A little bit scary for the world...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/2...TL20141222

The content is about the UN council deliberating over the situation in N Korea, and overriding China's vote. But what makes me nervous is that the UN council is probably a few dozen people making the kind of decisions that could spark a world war... I don't get to have my say... so are these people super-sensible?
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
RE: A little bit scary for the world...
NK is all rhetoric.

If they DO actually attack anyone I suspect China will stay out of it while NK gets crushed.

China isn't likely to provoke a major regional war for the sake of an unstable minor ally.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm)Beccs Wrote: NK is all rhetoric.

If they DO actually attack anyone I suspect China will stay out of it while NK gets crushed.

China isn't likely to provoke a major regional war for the sake of an unstable minor ally.

With respect, I'm not talking about the content, my concern is the extremely small number of people making monumental decisions on my behalf without consulting me !
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
(December 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(December 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm)Beccs Wrote: NK is all rhetoric.

With respect, I'm not talking about the content, my concern is the extremely small number of people making monumental decisions on my behalf without consulting me !

That's why we have elections/the UN in the first place. Governments can't hold votes every time they need to make a big decision.

I agree that the UN needs a serious shakeup - especially in the Security Council, since it's made up of the major winning powers of WW2. It needs to be more representative and certainly, as far as I'm concerned, more democratic. The veto power of the members has done a lot of harm.
"that's why we have elections"!!! I don't trust the governors at my kids' school. Let alone council/government/EU elected power crazed fools
Democracy sounds great, but elect a liar and you will get a dictatorship!
(December 22, 2014 at 5:40 pm)lifesagift Wrote: "that's why we have elections"!!! I don't trust the governors at my kids' school. Let alone council/government/EU elected power crazed fools

I'm not entire sure what your concern is, lifes. You want to be consulted on UNSC decisions (and - by proxy - you have been, though you don't seem to realize it), which would be a democratic initiative. But in practically your next breath, you don't seem to want democracy.

Not calling you out or trying to give you a hard time, I'm just unclear what you want to happen regarding UNSC decisions.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 22, 2014 at 5:40 pm)lifesagift Wrote: "that's why we have elections"!!! I don't trust the governors at my kids' school. Let alone council/government/EU elected power crazed fools

Sounds like you might need to drop out of society.

Would you prefer anarchy?
(December 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm)Beccs Wrote:

Sounds like you might need to drop out of society.

What sort of response is that?
(December 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm)lifesagift Wrote: With respect, I'm not talking about the content, my concern is the extremely small number of people making monumental decisions on my behalf without consulting me !
What makes you think you'd be consulted anyway? I mean, seriously, the U.N. wasn't involved with the decision to invade Iraq and there wasn't a goddamn person who consulted with me before that clusterfuck.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
(December 22, 2014 at 6:20 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(December 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm)Beccs Wrote: Sounds like you might need to drop out of society.

What sort of response is that?

An honest one.

You don't like democracy but you want to be consulted on decisions that might affect you which is potentially ALL decisions. Somewhat contradictory, no?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another SCOTUS ruling that is also very scary. Brian37 19 1469 June 27, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Going a bit far with pronoun usage again Foxaèr 20 1330 May 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  It's a flat world after all. <-Disney, but SCARY! Brian37 63 4750 May 23, 2020 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Think This Will Upset The Whiny Little Bitch? Minimalist 3 595 September 13, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Little rant regarding the kneeling thing. Chad32 51 5331 September 10, 2018 at 10:14 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Yeah....But A Little Racism Always Helps Minimalist 4 609 September 9, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  This Could Be A Bad Day For Whiny Little Bitches Minimalist 20 1430 August 23, 2018 at 4:42 pm
  Such An Insecure Little Fucktard Minimalist 15 2298 June 19, 2018 at 11:32 am
  Marijuana becoming legal little by little: the bitter victory WinterHold 19 2732 April 26, 2018 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Little Gift From Paul Ryan Minimalist 8 1036 November 18, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist