Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho must pay $400k for contesting same-sex marriage
Idaho must pay $400k for contesting same-sex marriage
Quote:After losing a battle to keep in place its discriminatory ban on same-sex marriage, the state of Idaho has been ordered to pay the legal fees incurred by same-sex couples who challenged the state in order to receive their constitutionally guaranteed civil rights. The Spokesman-Review reports:

“There is no dispute that Plaintiffs are the prevailing parties and are therefore entitled to an award of reasonable attorney fees and litigation expenses,” U.S. Magistrate Judge Candy Dale wrote in an order issued late Friday.

The lawyers had sought $467,843; the state’s lawyers had argued for cutting that by more than half to $204,049. But Dale ruled that with only a few exceptions, the legal team led by Boise attorney Deborah Ferguson was entitled to the amounts it claimed, setting the payment at $401,663.

“In order to ensure that lawyers would be willing to represent persons with legitimate civil rights grievances, Congress determined that it would be necessary to compensate lawyers for all time reasonably expended on a case,” the judge wrote, quoting a 1986 U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

Adding to the over $400,000 the state must now pay out to the plantiffs' attorneys is the $87,000 the state spent defending the ban.

http://www.towleroad.com/2014/12/idaho-m...-case.html
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Idaho must pay $400k for contesting same-sex marriage
Seems like a special levy on the Idaho christers might be even more fair. Shame to see all the taxpayers on the hook for the $400K, when it was only the godtards being assholes about it.
Good. Let the republicunts pay the freight for their bigotry.
Y'know, I've always wondered why they complain about intrusive government controlling us to much, but the second a gay person wants to get married or a woman wants an abortion, that government can't get big or intrusive enough to satisify them. Is a little consistancy too much to ask?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
God damn bigoted arse bastards. Tax the churches until the bill is paid.

Then blow them up.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 26, 2014 at 4:54 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Y'know, I've always wondered why they complain about intrusive government controlling us to much, but the second a gay person wants to get married or a woman wants an abortion, that government can't get big or intrusive enough to satisify them. Is a little consistancy too much to ask?

They are full of shit, Tara. Don't we have enough conservatards around here for you to see that in action?
(December 26, 2014 at 6:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(December 26, 2014 at 4:54 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Y'know, I've always wondered why they complain about intrusive government controlling us to much, but the second a gay person wants to get married or a woman wants an abortion, that government can't get big or intrusive enough to satisify them. Is a little consistancy too much to ask?

They are full of shit, Tara. Don't we have enough conservatards around here for you to see that in action?

But the few that are here are the spitting image of the Fox (un)educated specimen with enough tinfoil around their heads to make sure reason doesn't intrude.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

You're mistaken, the republicunts want small "federal" government so that individual states like Mississippi can enact strict white Christian theocratic law. No abortions, no gays, and blacks should only be allowed too live, if they agree to be slaves.

Its the same as the Confederates of the 1800's they argued for "states rights" but really they just wanted the "states rights" too own slaves, just as the Republican party does today

Its no different

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Same guy? onlinebiker 10 711 May 27, 2022 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Madison Cawthorn Sex Tape Released Divinity 26 4321 May 6, 2022 at 4:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
Thumbs Up Must see SCOTUS cases. onlinebiker 24 1216 October 12, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If the Fed can print an unlimited amount of money, why does anybody need to pay tax? ignoramus 12 937 April 24, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Government to pay pastors' salaries with relief funding Foxaèr 7 573 April 9, 2020 at 9:09 am
  Greta Thunberg: adults who attack her ‘must feel threatened’ EgoDeath 148 8450 October 3, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Corruption is the same worldwide..... Brian37 4 627 December 2, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hitler Had The Same Problem Minimalist 4 636 November 26, 2018 at 6:41 am
  Arizona Gets One Right. Must Have Been An Accident. Minimalist 0 428 October 23, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The scourge of migrants must be dealt with... Brian37 6 671 September 3, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37