Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I work for a church and I can't stand it any more.
I work for a church and I can't stand it any more.
I've been a percussionist for a traditional church service for almost 3 years now. I get paid 75 dollars a Sunday for 2 hours of playing, which may seem like a nice deal to you, but after a while I assure you it's draining to hear the same old bullshit every week. I have gotten very, very good at pretending to be a Christian. I play my best and arrive on time, but I don't think I can do this anymore. It's just too much of a burden. I've lost respect for myself and feel like a hypocrite. But this Christmas Eve rehearsal tonight tipped me over the scale.

The traditional service I usually play is made up mostly of old people. Not a lot of kids. Old folks I can handle as they've already done their damage. It's the brainwashing of children that I really have an issue with. Tonight we ran the entire set for tomorrow night's service, and part of it is apparently a book reading to children who will sit in front of the stage. The reader went on and on with this bullshit about the entire world rejoicing when Jesus was born, and making the kids respond to questions, further cementing the twisted superstitions. I was so angry my knuckles were white. After the rehearsal I was forced to be part of a prayer circle, which lasted about 10 minutes. I almost punched someone I was seething so hard.

I can no longer work under these conditions. After Christmas I'm considering quitting altogether and sleeping in on Sunday instead. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
RE: I work for a church and I can't stand it any more.
(December 24, 2014 at 2:08 am)AtheistChurchEmployee Wrote: I've been a percussionist for a traditional church service for almost 3 years now. I get paid 75 dollars a Sunday for 2 hours of playing, which may seem like a nice deal to you, but after a while I assure you it's draining to hear the same old bullshit every week. I have gotten very, very good at pretending to be a Christian. I play my best and arrive on time, but I don't think I can do this anymore. It's just too much of a burden. I've lost respect for myself and feel like a hypocrite. But this Christmas Eve rehearsal tonight tipped me over the scale.

The traditional service I usually play is made up mostly of old people. Not a lot of kids. Old folks I can handle as they've already done their damage. It's the brainwashing of children that I really have an issue with. Tonight we ran the entire set for tomorrow night's service, and part of it is apparently a book reading to children who will sit in front of the stage. The reader went on and on with this bullshit about the entire world rejoicing when Jesus was born, and making the kids respond to questions, further cementing the twisted superstitions. I was so angry my knuckles were white. After the rehearsal I was forced to be part of a prayer circle, which lasted about 10 minutes. I almost punched someone I was seething so hard.

I can no longer work under these conditions. After Christmas I'm considering quitting altogether and sleeping in on Sunday instead. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

right in the middle of the sermon play the batman theme and quit then find a better job.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Dyres, baby, that's the best idea you've had. I love it Heart
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Hi ACE, nice to meet you Smile

I'm right there with you, indoctrination of children is absolutely sick and needs to stop. I applaud you for standing up and doing what is right.

I think getting another job is a great idea.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 24, 2014 at 2:50 am)Losty Wrote: Dyres, baby, that's the best idea you've had. I love it Heart

I'm glad you loved it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 24, 2014 at 2:08 am)AtheistChurchEmployee Wrote: I've been a percussionist for a traditional church service for almost 3 years now. I get paid 75 dollars a Sunday for 2 hours of playing, which may seem like a nice deal to you, but after a while I assure you it's draining to hear the same old bullshit every week. I have gotten very, very good at pretending to be a Christian. I play my best and arrive on time, but I don't think I can do this anymore. It's just too much of a burden. I've lost respect for myself and feel like a hypocrite. But this Christmas Eve rehearsal tonight tipped me over the scale.

After Christmas? Shit, call in sick.

I'm a musician myself, and I know the lure of a good paying gig, but really, if your heart ain't in it, it shows.

As Pa Thump would say, shit or get off'n the pot.

Doubt is normal. One of Jesus' disciples is called doubting Thomas. Walk in the light you have.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
If you have agreed to play the christmas service then play it. After that tell them that you can't give them your services anymore. If you have made a promise to play, you should fulfill that obligation. But when you can now put honorably, by all means do so.
He actually does a disservice to all involved by being there. I changed my mind on this I think he should do an exit stage right as gracefully as possible.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(December 24, 2014 at 7:30 am)strawdawg Wrote: He actually does a disservice to all involved by being there. I changed my mind on this I think he should do an exit stage right as gracefully as possible.

Maybe, but if you're hired as a musician, it's kind of just professionalism to play if it has been prearranged with the organizers, no?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1199 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Missionary work, proselytizing Figbash 6 1077 July 30, 2021 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5213 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3546 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Pennsylvania Church asks couples to bring in their AR-15's so they can bless the guns Cecelia 63 9801 March 17, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3304 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3313 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3061 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2646 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  And Yet, They Work For A Fucktard Like Ham Minimalist 22 3066 July 18, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie