Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favorite Violent Part of the Bible
Your Favorite Violent Part of the Bible
This particular Psalm is short and rather violent. Christians keep telling me that I should read my bible and I would believe. The problem is that I do read my bible and, beyond being an interesting bronze age work, large portions of the book are pretty horrible.

First, we have the image of a snail melting away as it crawls in verse 8. I understand how ancient people might have thought the snail trail was evidence that the snail was melting. If there weren't Christians who believed that everything in the book were literal, it would just be an interesting metaphor.

The part that it interest me is writers view of The Righteous. In verse The Righteous person rejoices in vengeance and washes his feet in the blood of the wicked

There are many violent verses in the bible. I thought it would be interesting to see how many we could come up with in this thread. Post a few and we'll see how long this thread can get.
Quote:To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David.
58:1 Do ye indeed speak righteousness, O congregation? do ye judge uprightly, O ye sons of men?
58:2 Yea, in heart ye work wickedness; ye weigh the violence of your hands in the earth.
58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
58:4 Their poison is like the poison of a serpent: they are like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ear;
58:5 Which will not hearken to the voice of charmers, charming never so wisely.
58:6 Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth: break out the great teeth of the young lions, O LORD.
58:7 Let them melt away as waters which run continually: when he bendeth his bow to shoot his arrows, let them be as cut in pieces.
58:8 As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away: like the untimely birth of a woman, that they may not see the sun.
58:9 Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath.
58:10 The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.
58:11 So that a man shall say, Verily there is a reward for the righteous: verily he is a God that judgeth in the earth.
RE: Your Favorite Violent Part of the Bible
Favorite? I hate all of it pretty much evenly.

God commands Abraham to sacrifice his son. Don't care that later on god yells "Psych!". I'd have said go to hell from the start.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Samson killing, like, 3,000 d00ds with an ox's jawbone. Somewhere in Judges
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
By far my favorite passage, since it contains violence as well as sexual depravity. David cutting away at philistine pricks to ge a wife.

Quote: Samuel 18:27. David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Judges 4:21. That's the bit where Jael hammered a tent peg through Sisera's head. I suspect the next bit ('Bitches be crazy') was expurgated from the official text.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Psalm 137

8Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

Granted, god isn't specifically talking here but in other parts of the bible, he does tell the Hebrews to kill infants so smashing babies heads against rocks could have been one of their own methods to kill babies like they did in this verse

1 Samuel 15:3
Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"
(December 28, 2014 at 7:23 pm)Nope Wrote: 1 Samuel 15:3
Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"

I can raise you one. No good massacre is complete without a healthy dose of gang rape.

Quote: Judges 21:10-24 NLT: So they sent twelve thousand warriors to Jabesh-gilead with orders to kill everyone there, including women and children. "This is what you are to do," they said. "Completely destroy all the males and every woman who is not a virgin." Among the residents of Jabesh-gilead they found four hundred young virgins who had never slept with a man, and they brought them to the camp at Shiloh in the land of Canaan.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I got you beat. This is from Judges 19. It has someone being abused, raped to death and dismembered. Booyah.

Quote:22 While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked men of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him.”

23 The owner of the house went outside and said to them, “No, my friends, don’t be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don’t do this outrageous thing. 24 Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But as for this man, don’t do such an outrageous thing.”

25 But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. 26 At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight.

27 When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. 28 He said to her, “Get up; let’s go.” But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.

29 When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel. 30 Everyone who saw it was saying to one another, “Such a thing has never been seen or done, not since the day the Israelites came up out of Egypt. Just imagine! We must do something! So speak up!”
(December 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm)Spooky Wrote:

God commands Abraham to sacrifice his son. Don't care that later on god yells "Psych!". I'd have said go to hell from the start.

What Bible did you use, I'm curious?

GC

(December 28, 2014 at 6:28 pm)abaris Wrote: By far my favorite passage, since it contains violence as well as sexual depravity. David cutting away at philistine pricks to ge a wife.

Quote: Samuel 18:27. David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.

ROFLOL
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "God" Part of the Brain, by Matthew Alper neil 20 1369 February 9, 2024 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7573 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How do religious folks reconcile violent concepts in "peaceful" Abrahamic religions? AceBoogie 57 10857 April 28, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 4409 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Post your favorite examples of religion trying to be "cool" Bunburryist 6 1098 August 22, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Why would any Woman want to be a part of Christianity? Spooky 33 8389 July 23, 2015 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Your favorite biblical WTF moments ablenova 10 5519 December 9, 2013 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Mystical
  There are no dumb questions... Part 1. Pearls a stinger 56 31136 April 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  A Non-Violent Solution? Abracadabra 79 29766 February 20, 2012 at 4:01 am
Last Post: genkaus
  What is your Favorite Religious Contradiction? Ted1205 86 19607 June 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Cinjin