Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can religion be positive
Can religion be positive
This was sort of a question which arose in my mind from the "is religion child abuse" thread.

Is religion always a bad thing?

I'll go on a limb here and say I think not. I honestly believe that had I not found my faith when I did I would not be here. It was a valuable crutch at a time when I desperately needed one. It was, I now believe, based on a lie, but it was no less effective for that, a "spiritual placebo" if you will. No active ingredient but still gives results.

What say you?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: Can religion be positive
(January 5, 2015 at 10:49 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Is religion always a bad thing?
Probably not. Life is messy. In my ideal world it's always wrong and I therefore want nothing to do with it. But you can certainly cook up scenarios where people are better off with the placebo, at least for some time. The question is how highly you value knowing the truth over preventing suffering, for yourself and for others.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Faith and religion obviously have benefits - It's just that the inconvenients and disadvantages are superior. Logically, if religion had 0 advantages for people no one would be religious, there are many positives like having a sense of belonging, coping better with death, being able to live without questioning since all questions are already answered...
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

If you cherry pick the most positive parts, and take a very liberal view with the rest, you can do positive things. christians know how to gain money, and sometimes they give it to charity. However, I'm certain that these are just good people that happen to be religious, and good people tend to do good things. You could give to charity without religion. I read Bill Gates give more to charity than anyone else, and he's an atheist.

Can religion be positive? Only if you ignore a lot of it, including the very important commandment to put your religion before your fellow people. More often than not, religion holds people back instead of empowering them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 5, 2015 at 10:49 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Is religion always a bad thing?

As much as anything else...

Is murder always a bad thing?
(January 5, 2015 at 10:52 am)Alex K Wrote:
Probably not. Life is messy. In my ideal world it's always wrong and I therefore want nothing to do with it. But you can certainly cook up scenarios where people are better of with the placebo, at least for some time. The question is how highly you value knowing the truth over preventing suffering, for yourself and for others.

I have a good friend who had some self esteem issues stemming from the fact that her father was an abusive asshole. Believing that god loved her helped her. Most of us are going to be weak or vulnerable at some time in our lives. I can't fault someone for using whatever crutch they need to get through those times but it would be nice if they could throw the crutch away once they didn't need it any longer.
Why can't people be good and do good things without giving credit to god/religion.

I'm sure you can concoct specific situations where having some sort of belief that can be attributed to a religion would be considered "positive", but I pretty firmly believe that there is no political or philosophical stance, no moral ideal or course of action, and no personal benefit or advantage from religion that cannot be accomplished by more secular means without reliance on faith or ephemeral promises.

Believing in things (even positive things) for no reason or for bad reasons is just plainly inferior to believing in those things for good reasons, and religion gives people bad reasons for being good. Not to mention the fact that religious thinking isn't usually constrained to a single stance on a single facet of a single issue, and that kind of logic-poisoned-by-faith frame of addressing the world often does more collateral damage to one's other beliefs than it gains from having a positive stance on that one particular belief.

So yes, in specific, in-a-vacuum, isolated situations, maybe having a religious belief can be "positive", but overall I think the best that religious belief can reach is "neutral" or "unnecessary" when compared to secular ways of addressing the world.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 5, 2015 at 11:15 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I'm sure you can concoct specific situations where having some sort of belief that can be attributed to a religion would be considered "positive", but I pretty firmly believe that there is no political or philosophical stance, no moral ideal or course of action, and no personal benefit or advantage from religion that cannot be accomplished by more secular means without reliance on faith or ephemeral promises.

Believing in things (even positive things) for no reason or for bad reasons is just plainly inferior to believing in those things for good reasons, and religion gives people bad reasons for being good. Not to mention the fact that religious thinking isn't usually constrained to a single stance on a single facet of a single issue, and that kind of logic-poisoned-by-faith frame of addressing the world often does more collateral damage to one's other beliefs than it gains from having a positive stance on that one particular belief.

So yes, in specific, in-a-vacuum, isolated situations, maybe having a religious belief can be "positive", but overall I think the best that religious belief can reach is "neutral" or "unnecessary" when compared to secular ways of addressing the world.
That's a relevant point. Chewing willow bark can be positive, but not so positive as taking an aspirin.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(January 5, 2015 at 11:17 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
(January 5, 2015 at 11:15 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I'm sure you can concoct specific situations where having some sort of belief that can be attributed to a religion would be considered "positive", but I pretty firmly believe that there is no political or philosophical stance, no moral ideal or course of action, and no personal benefit or advantage from religion that cannot be accomplished by more secular means without reliance on faith or ephemeral promises.

That's a relevant point. Chewing willow bark can be positive, but not so positive as taking an aspirin.

And, the process by which one arrives at choosing willow bark over aspirin can affect other conclusions one reaches, potentially leading to a decision that is far more damaging. Beliefs don't exist in a vacuum.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 5798 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38398 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25400 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5404 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Can Atheism become corrupt like religion? superAtheistnut 54 9516 April 20, 2015 at 3:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Unsure whether my time at AF and TTA has been positive or negative. Rampant.A.I. 28 4003 July 9, 2014 at 4:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16350 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Can Science and religion co-exist? Manowar 42 8870 March 30, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  What can we do to promote Atheism? How can we unite? shadowninjax 93 34116 November 20, 2013 at 11:08 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen