Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Atheism become corrupt like religion?
Can Atheism become corrupt like religion?
I'm curious to find out if most atheists hate the 'ancient alien' theory because it goes against "evolution" dogma of Atheism.

According to Darwin's theory, it should have taken humans millions of years to evolve to the intelligent species that we are today.

Here's my issue: and why I think 21st century Atheism is no different than 14th century Catholicism dictatorship. In the 14th century if you said the earth might not be the centre of the universe "you'd be hanged on the stake". In the 21st century if you say the universe might of been created by intelligent design 'you're career is over and you'd be labelled as a quack".

Meanwhile, in the 14th century. Hidden from public attention a small group of mathmatecians and scientist were secretley trying to figure out how the universe worked and prayed that they didn't get caught trying to do something blasphemous like going against the 'status quo". Same thing in the 21st century "theist scientists and even agnostic scientists" must surely be secretley be in the closet trying to figure out "the status quo tells me 'Do not look there, there is nothing to see there", but I feel they are wrong".

Today, as a scientist. If you so dare go against the 'status quo' of Atheism you lose your job.

So what's the flaw? Atheism is slowly but surely becoming a cult-following, within a hundred years a hierarchy council will be formed similar to the catholic/jewdaism/islam councils. And future scientists trying to disprove the 'status quo' that evolution created humanity will be burnt to the stake and witch hunted (figuratively speaking). Why will they be witch hunted? You're average atheists could care less if someone is researching 'intelligent design', but the hierarchy of the new Atheism in elitists in power will feel threatened.

Do you feel - Atheism is slowly going to become corrupt like religions? Scientists will not be permitted to look into 'supernatural' or 'mistisism' and try to find a scientific reasoning - as it would be deemed blasphemy and heretic as an Atheist society.
RE: Reason atheists may become corrupt like religion
I don't "hate" any theory. But I don't believe anything without a good reason to do so either.

There is no atheist dogma, evolution and atheism are not related.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Can Atheism become corrupt like religion?
(April 18, 2015 at 3:33 pm)robvalue Wrote: I don't "hate" any theory. But I don't believe anything without a good reason to do so either.
Evolution and Atheism is not related? 

So if we send man to Mars and they land on "the face on mars" and discover its artificial. Wouldn't that shatter the fabric of Atheism?
That would mean "gods" (whether mortal or not) created humans.

The consequences:
1. A revival of Theism (people worshipping the creators, new religions popping up)
2. A revolution of Atheism (for more tolerance)
3. The decline of the archaic old-age 21st century bigoted Atheism, where the mentality was "if the status quo says theres no proof, I can't research it"
Is that what that would mean (ignoring how silly the thought experiment is, of course)?  How did you draw that conclusion...if you don't mind me asking?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You don't lose your job as a scientist of you're not atheist. That's a stupid lie.

And no, people haven't changed since the 1400s, only the culture. If atheism were to be instituted as a forced state doctrine, it would be similarly harmful and corrupted as other imposed ideologies. That's why no progressive atheist wants an atheist state. Most of us are secularists who want a state which allows the free exercise of religion for everyone equally within certain reasonable bounds.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

No, they are not related. Atheism is the lack of belief in gods, it says nothing about why the person came to that conclusion. They may believe any kind of weird alternative to evolution.

You're confusing atheism, scepticism and a scientific theory. Please take the time to research the difference or ask if you're not sure.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Quote:According to Darwin's theory, it should have taken humans millions of years to evolve to the intelligent species that we are today.

It did....and judging from the stupidity of theists many have still not made it.
RE: Reason atheists hate Ancient Aliens theory
If you think evolution is a dogma, you must not know much about the history of the idea ... or you are confusing "dogma" with, well, "fact".

I think the idea of alien visitation is rejected for lack of evidence. Such an extraordinary claim needs powerful evidence that is thus far lacking.

(April 18, 2015 at 3:42 pm)Alex K Wrote: You don't lose your job as a scientist of you're not atheist. That's a stupid lie.

And no, people haven't changed since the 1400s, only the culture. If atheism were to be instituted as a forced state doctrine, it would be similarly harmful and corrupted as other imposed ideologies. That's why no progressive atheist wants an atheist state. Most of us are secularists who want a state which allows the free exercise of religion for everyone equally within certain reasonable bounds.

I 100% agree with you. But many of my theist friends feel threatened that Atheism will become the new dogma the new religion (yes I know its not a religion, but good luck trying to convince a theist). 

In their eyes, if government forces you to "not believe in X" than that's like N.Korea (an atheist nation) saying Kim Jun Un is your overlord Master.
(April 18, 2015 at 3:39 pm)superAtheistnut Wrote:
(April 18, 2015 at 3:33 pm)robvalue Wrote: I don't "hate" any theory. But I don't believe anything without a good reason to do so either.
Evolution and Atheism is not related? 

So if we send man to Mars and they land on "the face on mars" and discover its artificial. Wouldn't that shatter the fabric of Atheism?
That would mean "gods" (whether mortal or not) created humans.

The consequences:
1. A revival of Theism (people worshipping the creators, new religions popping up)
2. A revolution of Atheism (for more tolerance)
3. The decline of the archaic old-age 21st century bigoted Atheism, where the mentality was "if the status quo says theres no proof, I can't research it"

No it wouldn't mean that. But what the hell doea that have to do with the theory of evolution?

Can you please stop telling us what Atheism supposedly is and believes, you don't know enough to pull it off. Come off your high horse, it is tiresome to listen to ignorant people who are unaware of their ignorance.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4969 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3255 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11400 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Can you consider Atheism an ethnicity UniverseCaptain 31 2739 September 27, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6181 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24786 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46264 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5973 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8577 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas