Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the Bible Doesn't Condemn Slavery
Why the Bible Doesn't Condemn Slavery
I came across this article which I think does a good job of answering why the bible doesn't directly condemn slavery.

http://www.reasons.org/articles/how-come...mn-slavery
RE: Why the Bible Doesn't Condemn Slavery
You think that was a good job? Anything in particular? My favorite "The institution of slavery was so deeply rooted in ancient culture that it could not be dismantled overnight. "...lol, yeah, some god/religion/unique ethical message we've got there. Illiterates from Indiana with no superpowers whatsoever did a better job in a few years with their own blood than your god could manage with all his power and all his followers and all of their religious beliefs in the previous thousands of years.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
"The institution of slavery was so deeply rooted in ancient culture that it could not be dismantled overnight."

Seriously?

Well so were liberal attitudes towards sex, and homosexuality, but the Bible managed to ban that.

We could ban slavery, but no, let's ban what consenting adults in the privacy of their bedrooms do instead.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Lek, don't you think a website named Reasons to Believe might be just a bit biased? A site such as that could never be objective in its reasoning. They have a clear motive and it is to cast as favorable a light on Christianity as possible.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
The answer to why the bible doesn't condemn slavery is simple: because it mirrors the attitudes of the unsophisticated barbarian cultures that spawned it.

Occam's razor, bitches. Learn to love it.
I think back then a slave was a servant, someone who serves another.
(January 7, 2015 at 11:49 pm)Strider Wrote: Lek, don't you think a website named Reasons to Believe might be just a bit biased? A site such as that could never be objective in its reasoning. They have a clear motive and it is to cast as favorable a light on Christianity as possible.

That means that if a person is a christian he is unqualified to write on the subject? Should I only seek out non-christians for opinions about the bible and slavery?
You'd get more competent answers, yes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't want to insult the OP but one thing has to be said about this....
there is always an excuse of some sort for the immoral actions perpetrated in the Bible, particulary in the Old Testament.

Whether because it's a thing that was common in the past so why all the fuss about (despite morality being timeless), or the guy that killed his son because God told him is misunderstood or even that when it says in the book women are servants of men and should obey them it's actually not literally...

I mean c'mon, it's getting ridiculous. At least have the decency to come up with better arguments.
The bible says that slaves can be passed down from parents to children, and isrealite slaves are explicitly referred to as property after they accept a wife and you drive a nail through their ear. This, plus the fact that you're allowed to beat a slae half to death as long as he doesn't die one or two days later shows that these people had no rights. People bought from other tribes were there for life, and people who accepted a wife were there for life.

If it could not be dismantled overnight, your god is not as smart or as powerful as you'd like us to believe. Where in the bible does it speak of efforts to abolish the practice altogether? Even when it says you're supposed to release isrealite servants after seven years, it still allows for a loophole where you don't have to. This is the most bare bones treatment to a problem as I can imagine.

Anyone who can be considered the property of another person doesn't hae as many rights as they deserve. It says right there that these people are property that can be handed down from person to person, and can be beaten half to death. They are also commanded to obey the cruelest of masters.

Yes I can imagine that people placed more emphasis on worshiping god than actually helping society. That's a big reason why religion is screwed up, and tends to hold society back more than it raises it up.

Yes, after secularists dragged religious people kicking and screaming out of the dark ages, some of them began taking more progressive views like maybe a representative republic would suit society better than a theocracy.

I have always wondered why Yahweh's opinion of right and wrong so closely follows the opinions of the people living at the time, except maybe slightly more progressive.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6504 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38289 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1329 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44074 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 37292 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  So, why doesn't Scripture uniquely endorse a specific denomination ? vorlon13 36 10638 November 22, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Cod
  My dad doesn't view Christianity as superior Der/die AtheistIn 0 648 November 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3074 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35918 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
Video The Bible and Slavery - Kyle Butt IanHulett 12 3137 September 3, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Chad32