Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't decide, so you people decide for me.
I can't decide, so you people decide for me.
I can't decide what to do in this situation so I want to try and get other peoples opinions on it if anyone can be bothered to have some input on this situation.

It isn't a big problem, it's privileged white guy from western civilization problem.

Basically, I'm meeting with friends tonight, I'm the only one who can drive and as I expected would happen, if I don't take people home in my car I'll look like a mean spirited bastard, on the other hand I hate it that people who live 15 minutes out of my way expect me to drive them right to their house.

So here are my options.

1) Give everyone a ride home, stop being mean, the downside to this is that we meet every week, so will I be expected to do this every week? And give every single person a drive home?

2) Pretend I caught the bus, I'd have to park somewhere, hide my car, which is pretty low, and it's like something from a sitcom, I'm bound to get caught out.

3) Just say no, and refuse to give everyone a ride home.

4) Just actually get the bus, it means waiting in the cold for a bit and some walking.

There's probably some inbetween options like just give them a ride this time then next time ask for petrol money?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: I can't decide, so you people decide for me.
Are you the designated driver? If so, make sure that everyone knows that they'll be ponying up for gas. Then, on the way home, stop every 5-10 miles to "fill up". Most expensive taxi -ever-. They'll never ask again.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Just tell them you are in a rush so you cannot drive everyone to their doorsteps, but if anyone wants to go somewhere that's on your way, you would be glad to drop em off.

Or if you wanna be an ass, you can show off your badass NFS skills. They won't dare ask you for a ride next time onwards.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

How many blocks can you walk? because you can park your car a few blocks away.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 24, 2015 at 9:12 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Just tell them you are in a rush so you cannot drive everyone to their doorsteps, but if anyone wants to go somewhere that's on your way, you would be glad to drop em off.

Or if you wanna be an ass, you can show off your badass NFS skills. They won't dare ask you for a ride next time onwards.

These thoughts did occur to me, especially to use my girlfriend as an excuse, say that she will be waiting up for me and she's already annoyed with me.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Take a shovel with you and drive them somewhere isolated. They'll never ask you for a ride again.
(January 24, 2015 at 9:12 am)dyresand Wrote: How many blocks can you walk? because you can part your car a few blocks away.

This also occurred to me, this is an OK idea, but I'm meeting with my band and I don't think my bass player will have a bass guitar unless I bring one for him. So to cut a long story short I either bring a bass for him and admit I took it in my car because no one would believe I carried my own guitar and his bass while walking.
Or I just don't bring his bass and do what you said, just walk a few blocks and lie about taking my car.

I would generally recommend honest approaches. Cover ups will probably make you feel guilty, and will make things worse if they are found out.

I'd say either ask for money in the future, or make it clear you don't think it's fair on you to have to drop everyone off every single time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The straight forward approach you can never go wrong with it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I don't mind being charitable, the only thing I ask is honesty if you say you can pay me something, pay me. If you can't then say that as well and give me the option of making up my mind. I only find it abusive when you say something and don't follow it up.

I had a co worker who did that to me and I finally cut him off. I simply don't like the lying. I do not mind the asking.

If it is your car, ultimately it is your decision. But if it involves drinking, fuck what people think, your car or not, it is not worth the risk. No one is going to pay for your lawyer, and even being a passenger in many states if you step out of the car you can get a drunk in public ticket.

I have a simply policy. I get a cab or get a ride, and I don't give a fuck if others offer me a ride home, if they have been drinking, I refuse to get in that car with them even if am not driving.

If someone gives you a hard time about that, they are not your friend. Friends don't get you involved in their risk taking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1010 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Time to decide what's worse -> ErGingerbreadMandude 33 2701 February 6, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can Two People Keep a Secret? Rhondazvous 41 4226 October 21, 2017 at 9:15 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  How many pillows do you sleep with, how do you use them & which can't you do without? Whateverist 31 2235 September 29, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Joods
  Many English people can't speak English? ReptilianPeon 41 5548 July 16, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trying to Decide Something rexbeccarox 94 10219 April 11, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  How do you deal with people who tell you you'll burn in hell? IanHulett 46 8558 February 10, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Sometimes my brain just can't see things the way other people do. Losty 71 7149 October 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Help me decide on a major AtheistCreed 49 8649 September 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: AtheistCreed
  You think you guys can help me out with a paper (of all religions/non-religion)? Annik 7 2621 August 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda