Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just don't get it...
I just don't get it...
How/why is the christer gawd so compelling to so many people? We have an all knowing, all powerful gawd who, allegedly, sets up the first two people with the best existence possible. Then he gives them some direction and some simple tasks, tells them something he strongly doesn't want them to do but never adequately establishes the ground rules(*). He does this, knowing beforehand, exactly what the outcome would be. He then proceeds to punish fucking everybody for the "sin" of two people.

Then we get this:
(March 4, 2015 at 5:37 pm)Void Wrote: God made a covenant with his people in Deuteronomy 27:26. It consists of 613 commandments that cannot be broken, and which, due to their nature, cannot be followed to perfection.

See Galatians 3:10-13.
(thanks Void)

So, not once, but twice, we have an omniscient, omnipotent gawd setting conditions that he knows full well beforehand will fail. With omniscience and omnipotence, gawd should be able to set up a paradise where free will and "sin" are mutually exclusive. Instead, it sets up a world where free will is somehow mutually inclusive with "sin."

So, why do all the good little christers find such a bumbling fucking idiot to be a compelling gawd figure?!?

As a side note, the next time someone makes a film where gawd is an actual character, instead of Morgan Freeman or George Burns the need Rowan Atkinson.

*Please don't trot out the same old tired tripe that gawd told A&E that if they ate from the tree they would die. If you have no understanding of a concept, how can you be expected to understand the consequences. "Don't pick thine ass with thy left middle finger for it is an abomination before me and the punishment is flugaharth!" Sorry, if you don't adequately explain the concept of flugaharth, you haven't adequately explained the ground rules.

TL/DR - Why do christers accept Mr. Bean as a gawd figure?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: I just don't get it...
It's indoctrination fed by a cult of personality (literally in this case). People are born into their religion. From day 1, they're surrounded by the myths and the propaganda, and told by their parents and various authority figures that this is the truth. Before they're of an age when they can adequately question, they're told and molded to not question.

At the same time, the faith rests upon a charismatic leader or two spewing the heady mix of paradise for true believers and hellfire for heathens, all based on cherry picked quotes. God loves YOU, you see, because you're one of the chosen few. The rest are enemies who will get what's coming to them in the end times. And then, won't they be sorry?

Those few that do question the bullshit are made to feel weak and bad and more dependent on the group. You're sinful. Your faith is weak. Do you really want to throw away your family? Your friends? For these blasphemous, secular thoughts? Read the bible again, this time with an open heart, and you'll find the answer.

It's the definition of a cult. We see it with the responses the Christians on here regurgitate. It's predicable because it's programmed. Threats, guilt trips, lies, etc. They've all been on display in the various threads here. Because a cult cannot abide a lack of control and deviation from the script.

Hallelujah.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Fear of death. . . .
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
No, no. I get the reasons for people clinging to their faith. I don't understand how they can bend over backwards to excuse a bumbling fool and accept it as a compelling gawd figure.

Zeus is a far better idea of a gawd.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Every time I see 'gawd' I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppisOulgG0

Funny and cute the first time, but I sincerely beg you to please fucking stop.
(March 5, 2015 at 12:08 am)Cato Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppisOulgG0

[Image: 200.gif]

@OP the only reason why the abrahamic religions appeal to so many people because some asshole decided to take a page no more like most of the Egyptian book of the dead and thrown it into the bible creating hell.
That is why it is around because people's irrational fear of that place and also that fear is brought down generation and generation with tradition.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I created the world in six days. derp derp derp

Maybe the god that created this universe is retarded and all the other gods are making fun of him? That's why he sometimes gets pissed and floods everything.
People are scared of disagreeing with those around them, scared to think they could have been lied to for years, and scared in case it really is true.

I'd love to see into theist brains and see how much actual belief there is in there. Go round and follow a theist, and see how much faith they have in God in a given day. When they're not actively thinking about it, none at all. They live like atheists.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 5, 2015 at 5:38 am)Norman Humann Wrote: I created the world in six days. derp derp derp

Maybe the god that created this universe is retarded and all the other gods are making fun of him? That's why he sometimes gets pissed and floods everything.

And yet rested on on the 7th day i mean he is all powerful so yeah he isn't all powerful if get got tired of talking shit into existence.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(March 5, 2015 at 9:47 am)robvalue Wrote: People are scared of disagreeing with those around them, scared to think they could have been lied to for years, and scared in case it really is true.

I'd love to see into theist brains and see how much actual belief there is in there. Go round and follow a theist, and see how much faith they have in God in a given day. When they're not actively thinking about it, none at all. They live like atheists.

Jesus said not to worry about tomorrow but to let god provide your needs and yet, Christians still work and have a savings account.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I don't get God's logic at all ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1940 June 2, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I don't get it. dyresand 28 4340 October 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Don't ever question. Just believe. TubbyTubby 41 6940 July 6, 2015 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Christianity: Don't Reason, Just Obey JesusHChrist 99 20384 September 10, 2014 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Holyshit! Just when you think they can't get any wierder ... Cinjin 14 4125 March 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Don't Ya Just Love It! Minimalist 8 3592 December 29, 2011 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Catholics Get More Despicable as they get Minimalist 26 11143 April 14, 2010 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Violet