Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find Your Child A Mate
Find Your Child A Mate
Courtship is a thing in my area. Once my daughter intended a male friend's invention to an AWANA meeting. She was annoyed that she was separated into male and female classes because she came with her friend and wanted to spend time with him. The teacher asked the girls when they thought they should date. My daughter raised her hand and gave the age her oldest brother started to date. The teacher informed her that she was wrong and should practice courtship instead.

If you do a google search on Christian courtship and the words; father involved or father led, it is interesting to read the articles that you can find. Arranged marriages are followed by a minority among American Christians but online you can find a lot of blogs by people who support arranged marriages. Most of these articles also mention emotional purity. The belief is that the man and woman should somehow refrain from thinking any romantic thought about anyone until they are betrothed. Imagine how confusing for a young woman to be taught to always control her emotions and not even think romantically about a man to be suddenly told that her dad has found someone for her. Even if she is asked her opinion, how will she understand what she feels if she has never been allowed to consider any man as a romantic interest? How would you even know that you are attracted to the opposite sex until after you are married?

Sorry, this is a long thread post. I quickly found quotes from three different sources as examples of arranged marriages among modern American Christians but I could have used a lot more. We tend to ignore the dangers of fundamentalist Christianity in the USA but it is harmful to its adherents and some of the thinking on gender roles is very similar to what we hear from Muslim extremists groups.

http://www.homemakerscorner.com/spousep1.htm

Quote:Mothers, you should not leave your kids to "make their own choice" in this matter either. If this is not your husband's and your custom, you need to discuss this with your husband. This is altogether too important. If you are a young lady that is not married, you should seek your parents' counsel in this matter. If your parents are not godly, then you must seek counsel from older, wiser saints who are following the Lord faithfully. Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety

and

Quote:We heard of a missionary family that actually came home from Africa because the African fellows where they were working were showing too much interest in their daughters who had arrived at womanhood. This was a matter of not marrying across national boundaries. Some of the African fellows may have been good men, but they were not suitable in these folks' opinion because of the cultural bounds that God has established.

http://www.achristianhome.org/ISSUES_Chr...0work4.htm

Quote:She must have a dowry
In Jewish culture, both parties had a dowry. Today, this would mean that a husband could probably buy a house whilst his wife could probably furnish it (full amount of three years wages each). [Romans 13:7-8] The responsibility for the wife's dowry lay with her father, ie. it was his blessing on their marriage.

and

Quote:After betrothal comes the commitment to marriage. When the commitment to marriage has been made, the couple are free to express their emotions. Up until this point, they should hide their feelings in their hearts, avoiding expressions such as "I love you" and "I will miss you" which naturally evoke emotional responses.

http://iblp.org/questions/how-does-courtship-work

Quote:When a man senses God leading him to pursue marriage with a particular woman, he should seek counsel from God-given authorities. In most cases, he will consult his parents, but in some situations, such as in the absence of parents due to death, other Godly mentors such as a pastor may fill this role of counselor.

As God’s direction to pursue courtship is confirmed through the man’s authorities, through insights from God’s Word, and through prayer, he should contact the woman’s father to request permission to initiate the courtship. Only when the woman’s father has given the man his blessing to enter into a courtship relationship with his daughter is the man free to focus on winning her affections.
RE: Find Your Child A Mate
Does the child's happiness not even matter because that doesn't seem like they would be happy at all for sure i know i wouldn't.
This is ridiculous that this type of thing still happens along with arranged marriages.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
What an utter complete load of bollocks. These people are messed up in the head. I had no idea this kind of thing was going on among christians.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Stone age practices from a stone age ideology.
I wonder if our resident theists will jump to the defence of this or condemn it. Any bets?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 5, 2015 at 12:29 pm)dyresand Wrote: Does the child's happiness not even matter

w
When it comes to arranged marriages, the bethrothed are informed that they will grow to love one another in time and become happy as a result.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Because their parents can see into the future. Handy.

Index of my best videos
(March 5, 2015 at 12:39 pm)robvalue Wrote: What an utter complete load of bollocks. These people are messed up in the head. I had no idea this kind of thing was going on among christians.

To be fair, this extreme thinking if found mainly among fundamentalists but it is still weird that people in a modern western country encourage fathers' to actively find a spouse for their daughters without much input from her. I've read some sites where the girl was not even told the man expressed interest until after the dad decided they could get married. The writers of those sites usually assure their readers that the daughters can say no to the suitor but she really hasn't been taught to think for herself.

Courtship is popular among some conservative Christians but it isn't really arranged marriage. They believe that courtship is dating that leads to marriage so casual dating just for fun is discouraged. The dad has less control in this type of courtship. The conservatives in the US seem to actively court crazy so I have no idea if this will become popular among them but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Fucking hell. How about the creepy dad gets his head out of his daughter's knickers?

Can these girls not tell their parents to get lost? Is this actually enforced in some way?

Index of my best videos
(March 5, 2015 at 12:48 pm)robvalue Wrote: I wonder if our resident theists will jump to the defence of this or condemn it. Any bets?

I was on a site where several women who had left fundamentalist thinking often posted about such issues. They were, for the most part, still Christians but they didn't hesitate to speak against fundamentalist Christians. They also weren't afraid to disagree with each other. Overall, I had a much better impression of Christians from that site compared to some of the Christians on this site.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 175 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9384 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Is priestly pedophilia really a sacrament ? How we can find out . . . vorlon13 12 1802 August 28, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3614 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 815 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3348 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2754 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3444 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yet another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 18 2188 April 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 4 1137 August 10, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13