Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferguson and the Justice Department Report
Ferguson and the Justice Department Report
The report was released yesterday and while the news has been filled with details of the racist emails within the police department, the worst is how the citizenry were used as though the town government were Mafia bosses. Constantly getting shaken down for "revenue". Tony Soprano would be proud. And then jealous wondering how he could cut in on the government's action.

http://news.yahoo.com/fergusons-conspira...00799.html

Quote:Ferguson officials leeched off the black community as shamelessly as would mafia bosses.
Police officers were judged not only on the number of stops they made, but on the number of citations they issued. "Officers routinely conduct stops that have little relation to public safety and a questionable basis in law," the report states. "Issuing three or four charges in one stop is not uncommon. Officers sometimes write six, eight, or, in at least one instance, fourteen citations for a single encounter." Some officers compete to see who can issue the most citations in a single stop.

In one email, the police chief, who also oversees the municipal court, brags to the city manager about how much revenue it is generating. Ignoring that conflict of interest is a recipe for a justice system that bleeds the powerless of their meager resources.

Ferguson's municipal court judge, Ronald Brockmeyer, who is appointed by the city council, is well aware that his job performance is evaluated partly based on how much revenue he generates from the bench. One 2011 internal report in Ferguson notes that Judge Brockmeyer made a list of “what he has done to help in the areas of court efficiency and revenue.” The next year, a city council member suggested that he should not be reappointed, arguing that he "does not listen to the testimony, does not review the reports or the criminal history of defendants, and doesn’t let all the pertinent witnesses testify before rendering a verdict.”

Police state? More like a mafia state. I doubt this problem is localized to Ferguson. No wonder the cops want military surplus hardware to keep milking the sheep. They like them defenseless. Easier that way.

Government as an evil force, in action.
RE: Ferguson and the Justice Department Report
The problem is far deeper than one shithole town in Missouri.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-whi...14467.html
Personally, I don't find it all that hard to obey the law.
It doesn't matter one whit if they issued lots of citations as long as the citations were true bills.
Break the law - Pay the fine. If you don't like the law, get it changed though political action.
You don't get to go through life giving society's rules the finger..
Find the cure for Fundementia!
If only this had anything to do with obeying the law.

Also, that's the kind of justification that leads to totalitarianism. It's right up there with not caring about NSA spying because you feel you have nothing to hide.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 5, 2015 at 6:59 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Personally, I don't find it all that hard to obey the law.
It doesn't matter one whit if they issued lots of citations as long as the citations were true bills.
Break the law - Pay the fine. If you don't like the law, get it changed though political action.
You don't get to go through life giving society's rules the finger..

Okay. So, say you're sitting at the bus stop, doing nothing, and a cop pulls up in his car. He tells you to come over, takes your license, and runs your license for warrants. Okay with that?

How about you and your 3 black friends in a car with the music up loud, and a cop drives up and gives you a citation for public disturbance. No one has complained, which is a pre-requisite for that charge.

How about you finish playing basketball at the park one summer, and you're cooling off in your car, and a cop pulls up, blocks you in, and accuses you of being a pedophile because there are children in the park. He pulls you out of your car and performs a pat down. The officer points his gun at your head and asks to search your car. You refuse, because, you know, constitution. Now the officer arrests you, charges you with resisting arrest, making a false declaration for saying your name is "Mike" instead of "Michael," and 8 other charges including both having and expired driver's license and having no driver's license at the same time.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/15-mo...-ferguson/

We're talking about more than just cops writing tickets. They were actively encouraged to write as many citations as possible.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
And many of those citations are criminal citations that will follow a person for the rest of their lives.

The only thing bureacracies understand is $$. I hope a cadre of lawyers swoop in on Ferguson and sues the city, police department and culpable individuals for large sums of cash.

Maybe then, they will get it through their money-grubbing hands that they are criminals.
(March 5, 2015 at 8:13 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: I hope a cadre of lawyers swoop in on Ferguson and sues the city, police department and culpable individuals for large sums of cash.

Except that who do you think pays for all that? Double whammy on the taxpayers.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 5, 2015 at 8:33 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Except that who do you think pays for all that? Double whammy on the taxpayers.

Unfortunately true, but how else should it be addressed? Those involved in the criminal conspiracy to deprive people of their rights should be individually sued and lose their jobs. Let their lives be ruined. Police have a measure of qualified immunity, but I don't think that holds where there is criminal activity.

Apparently, the report also indicates the problems are not confined just to Ferguson. Where there is one cockroach, more are surely in hiding:

Quote:It was billed as an investigation of the Ferguson Police Department. But a hard-hitting report released Wednesday by the U.S. Department of Justice also reads as an indictment of cities and towns across the St. Louis region.

The report implicates at least four other municipalities in alleged misconduct or questionable behavior. And as the Justice Department itself acknowledged, many of the conditions described in the report could have been written about any number of the 90 municipalities in St. Louis County.

"What's listed in the report about Ferguson is a widespread practice," said Thomas Harvey, executive director for the Arch City Defenders, a nonprofit legal advocacy organization that has brought attention to the municipal courts in St. Louis County over the past several months. "I don't think anyone who takes these issues seriously … can limit their work to Ferguson."
(March 5, 2015 at 7:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(March 5, 2015 at 6:59 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Personally, I don't find it all that hard to obey the law. ..

Okay. So, say you're sitting at the bus stop, doing nothing, and a cop pulls up in his car. He tells you to come over, takes your license, and runs your license for warrants. Okay with that?
A cop would only do that if he thought it wasn't wasting his time. In my case it would be wasting his time. The reason it would be wasting his time is simply because I know how not to be an asshole to my neighbors and I obey the law. If he didn't have the right to ask for my license, then he did something wrong, not me. I could refuse and make a big deal of it or not, but because I don't break the law, it's only a few moments inconvenience for me.
(March 5, 2015 at 7:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: How about you and your 3 black friends in a car with the music up loud, and a cop drives up and gives you a citation for public disturbance. No one has complained, which is a pre-requisite for that charge.
Again, ass-holes behave inconsiderately to the point where they depend on the timidity and fear of a neighbor to be afraid to call the cops on rude loud music. I would not disturb the public with my music because I myself do not wish to be disturbed with obnoxious loud music from someone else.

(March 5, 2015 at 7:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: How about you finish playing basketball at the park one summer, and you're cooling off in your car, and a cop pulls up, blocks you in, and accuses you of being a pedophile because there are children in the park. He pulls you out of your car and performs a pat down. The officer points his gun at your head and asks to search your car. You refuse, because, you know, constitution. Now the officer arrests you, charges you with resisting arrest, making a false declaration for saying your name is "Mike" instead of "Michael," and 8 other charges including both having and expired driver's license and having no driver's license at the same time.
Of course I would have a problem of being falsely accused. My lawyer would too, but this story is obviously concocted as it does not follow reason. There is obviously so much more to the story if it is not all made up at the start.

(March 5, 2015 at 7:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/15-mo...-ferguson/

We're talking about more than just cops writing tickets. They were actively encouraged to write as many citations as possible.
Again, cops are paid to write citations and perform arrests. They should be pushed to get the taxpayer's monies worth out of their salary. Only when their citations are not true or their arrests not just is that a problem. Your example of a man falsely accused of pedophilia is an example of police misbehavior, but larger quantities of police action do not equate police misbehavior.
As I said in my earlier post, "It doesn't matter one whit if they issued lots of citations as long as the citations were true bills."
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(March 6, 2015 at 12:08 am)Brakeman Wrote: A cop would only do that if he thought it wasn't wasting his time. In my case it would be wasting his time. The reason it would be wasting his time is simply because I know how not to be an asshole to my neighbors and I obey the law. If he didn't have the right to ask for my license, then he did something wrong, not me. I could refuse and make a big deal of it or not, but because I don't break the law, it's only a few moments inconvenience for me.
Newsweek, from DoJ report Wrote:

I find it hard to believe you would be okay with such a blatant infringement on your 4th amendment rights. Someone needs to have probable cause to detain you for any reason.

Also, this was never once reported to have happened to someone who wasn't a minority.

(March 6, 2015 at 12:08 am)Brakeman Wrote: Again, ass-holes behave inconsiderately to the point where they depend on the timidity and fear of a neighbor to be afraid to call the cops on rude loud music. I would not disturb the public with my music because I myself do not wish to be disturbed with obnoxious loud music from someone else.

You don't think the reasonable thing for a police officer to do is to walk over and ask the teens to turn their music down? You think kids (tell me you didn't blast your jam with your boys in the car in high school) shouldn't be able to play music loudly on a street in a car? Even if it's obnoxious, I mean hauling them off to jail?

(March 6, 2015 at 12:08 am)Brakeman Wrote: Of course I would have a problem of being falsely accused. My lawyer would too, but this story is obviously concocted as it does not follow reason. There is obviously so much more to the story if it is not all made up at the start.

You are in a position where you have access to a lawyer like that. This is happening in poor black neighborhoods where the cops know they will not have to answer for that kind of behavior.
(March 6, 2015 at 12:08 am)Brakeman Wrote: Again, cops are paid to write citations and perform arrests. They should be pushed to get the taxpayer's monies worth out of their salary. Only when their citations are not true or their arrests not just is that a problem. Your example of a man falsely accused of pedophilia is an example of police misbehavior, but larger quantities of police action do not equate police misbehavior.
As I said in my earlier post, "It doesn't matter one whit if they issued lots of citations as long as the citations were true bills."
First off, police are not paid to write citations and perform arrests. They are paid to keep communities safe and enforce the law. The goal of a police force should not be to be a source of revenue for the courts, as Ferguson's clearly was. The expected revenue from citations in Ferguson for 2015 is nearly double what it was in 2010 with no significant shift in population. Citations and arrests are warranted when citizens are breaking the law, but when you monetize it like that and create a culture where police are encouraged to write as many citations as possible, this leads to cops looking for an excuse to write a citation, which makes it a terrible place to be for an African American.

Secondly, the point is that many of these citations were not "true bills." People were routinely accused of "smelling like marijuana," having their belongings searched only to find nothing. Arrests were made where the only charge was "resisting arrest."

According to the DoJ Report:

90% of citations for an offense literally written as "Manner of Walking Along Roadway" were cited against African Americans.
EVERY SINGLE CASE of police dogs having been recorded biting a citizen was against an African American.
There was evidence of officers competing (sort of the "meow" game) for who can write the most citations in a single stop.
88% of instances of police using force were against African Americans.
85% of traffic stops were against African Americans.
93% of those arrested were African Americans.
Only 67% of Fergurson's population is African American.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sassy Justice Foxaèr 0 157 October 28, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  There is no justice...... RBG RIP! Brian37 96 5447 September 29, 2020 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  AGW protesters glue themselves to gov energy department (UK) Duty 24 2390 February 17, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Duty
  More obstruction of justice from Donald Trump. Jehanne 6 949 September 11, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The State Department’s entire senior administrative team just resigned Minimalist 7 862 January 26, 2017 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do the ritors ask for Justice? Drich 590 56688 October 13, 2016 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Another one For Justice Kennedy to Decide Minimalist 8 3222 August 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Justice - American Style Minimalist 10 2330 July 18, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Glenn Greewald's With Liberty and Justice for Some Minimalist 13 2747 March 24, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Christian Orthodoxy's proof of love and justice Zenith 0 779 March 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Zenith