Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Incredibly Stupid Things (Few, Hopefully) Atheists Say
The Incredibly Stupid Things (Few, Hopefully) Atheists Say
I always thought that the people who turned stupid at the invocation of Jesus' name were called Christians. Apparently, being a Christian isn't a requirement.

Things people have said over the past few days about whether Jesus probably existed or not:

"I don't think so. I've even heard that his home town of Nazareth didn't even exist."
- It probably didn't exist because he's heard that someone said so!

"Because if there WAS any credible evidence by now that JC actually did exist, then I believe we wouldn't have as many atheists as we do now. That just goes without saying."
- It goes without saying! If Jesus existed, HE MUST HAVE RISEN FROM THE DEAD! But there are still atheists. Therefore, Jesus didn't exist.

"I think even non christian historians can fall for this, with the aura of power the bible has."
- I'm sure this was a joke, but considering what precedes and follows, it's difficult to say.

"But yeah, what does HJ mean?"
- I think it means "historical Jesus," as in, a man named Jesus who inspired his followers to form churches after his death. 

"We know for a fact that there was never a flood that covered the whole Earth."
- A good point!

"When pressed they invent bullshit stories like 'Q' but no one has ever seen so much as a fragment of any such work."
- But yeah, what does Q mean?

"We have no more need to disprove the existence of Jesus than we do to disprove the existence of Harry Potter."
- The one thing historians can finally agree on: that's some retarded shit right there.

"There had to be 100 guys named 'jesus, son of joseph' in first century Judaea.  They were both common names."
- Hence, Jesus of Nazareth probably never existed.

"He wasn't even supposed to be called Jesus. He was supposed to be called Emmanuel. Prince of peace. But we get this Jesus guy that wants to bring a sword."
- Watch out for ninja Christ!

"A consensus doesn't really matter.  You'll find lots of people who believe all kinds of absurd, unsupported things.  A consensus doesn't make those  beliefs any better. After all, there might have once been a consensus that the Earth was flat.  They were still wrong."
- The overwhelming majority of experts are wrong sometimes, right? Right, guys?

"I have no problem saying that we don't have good evidence for many people from antiquity.  Some have suggested that Socrates was just an invention of Plato, others have suggested that Plato and Aristotle might not have been real.  It doesn't matter because the ideas that have come down to us  today are important, no matter who actually came up with them in the first place.  However, that isn't the case with Jesus. For Christianity to matter at all, Jesus had to physically exist as a man-god."

- Keep your eye on the ball, kiddo. No, hey, over here! Focus!

"Scientists don't make science.  It's science that makes scientists.  Scientists are only scientists so long as they are doing science."
- I think the key word here is "science."

"What you have for Homer is exactly what you have for jesus.  The writings of later authors.  Similarly, the same applies to mohammed."
- Now that's what I call "nuance"!

"I think you may be missing the point.  No one here has said Jesus absolutely didn't exist on some level."
- I definitely missed that.

"Clearly, you want desperately for Jesus to have existed and are unwilling to concede even the smallest of his mythical attributes."

"But hey, messiahs always seem to need defenders."
- I've been found out. Oh fuck.

"Except that the majority of 'experts' used to believe in leeching, flat earth and a host of other things."
- The moral: DON'T BELIEVE experts... or their arguments... or any data post-analysis...

"Not a single copy of Jewish Antiquities that existed from the time of Josephus contained that passage."
- (Also, we don't possess any copies from the time of Josephus)

"All of these supposed 'accounts' have been thoroughly debunked."
- Historians will come to see it too... just wait!

"All you guys ever manage to trot out are your fucking gospels."
[Image: baby-crying-280.jpg] 
- I hate when historians use all of the tools at their disposal!

"Come on.  We know this stuff has been edited through the centuries.  You not only don't know who wrote them, you have no idea who edited them."
- Come on, man. Serially! Come on.

"And Gone With The Wind mentions Atlanta.  Does that make the novel factual?"
- The Bible... it's like Gone With The Wind... but with less wind...

"You are the one asserting that there are historical facts in your precious bible."
[Image: 0785258450.gif]
- My precious Bible.  Heart

"Just because the Bible gives factually accurate information sometimes doesn't mean that all information it contains is factually accurate."
- Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

"You have to remember that for most believers, 'fact' means 'what I believe'.  They don't really care if their beliefs are true, they'll just desperately twist and turn things to try to justify believing in it.  They always have a double standard in play.  I've pointed out that credible historians demand multiple independent accounts for historical tales... There are standards for a reason, they cannot meet the standards, but neither can they admit that their belief system fails in any test.
- Yes, credible historians have standards... what do they think about Jesus? Oh yeah... 

"The bible writers' purpose was to con people that they had knowledge of an invisible god and their intention was to use as much knowledge of the times as they had to make it as believable as they could."
- I know so because I was on a road and saw a light and then....!

Seriously. What fuck is going on here? Is it because today is good Friday? Is it a tradition that people turn retarded on Easter weekend or something?

He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: The Incredibly Stupid Things (Few, Hopefully) Atheists Say
Where did you get those quotes from?
Well I see you quoted something I said, and yes it wasn't a joke. I'm sorry you find it so objectionable and feel the need to publicly ridicule it instead of addressing it directly. I'm happy to defend my position.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 3, 2015 at 3:14 am)robvalue Wrote: Well I see you quoted something I said, and yes it wasn't a joke. I'm sorry you find it so objectionable and feel the need to publicly ridicule it instead of addressing it directly. I'm happy to defend my position.
Sorry Rob, I kind of felt bad quoting you because I like and respect you and I actually think you've been one of the more reasonable ones. Admittedly, that whole thread has just been a little frustrating. But don't take it personally. I certainly don't.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
OK, no problem Smile

I don't give a monkeys whether Jesus existed or not, I just find it an interesting discussion.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(April 3, 2015 at 3:20 am)robvalue Wrote: OK, no problem Smile

I don't give a monkeys whether Jesus existed or not, I just find it an interesting discussion.
I honestly don't either, and I'm open to the possibility that most of the credible academics are wrong. But the logic you find when mythicists congregate... JESUS CHRIST!
(April 3, 2015 at 2:46 am)Nestor Wrote: I always thought that the people who turned stupid at the invocation of Jesus' name were called Christians. Apparently, being a Christian isn't a requirement.

Non-christians aren't immune to failings. 'nuff said.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Of course not. Barely anything I say makes any sense, especially after you remove all the stupid puns and random references to violence. Occasionally I manage to stumble upon making a point, and my eyes light up like a kid who bangs into a vending machine and some sweets fall out. But I make myself laugh!

Everyone is fallible. People who claim otherwise are butt potatoes and need to check their head.

Index of my best videos
I was able to escape this list only by remaining completely silent. Big Grin

I'm happy that the conversation in that thread happened the way it did this time around. I was a little shocked when I first joined this site at how similar the all out denial of the possibility of an historical Jesus looked to, say, evolution denial. It was definitely more turbulent, but at least it was honest.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(April 3, 2015 at 3:59 am)Exian Wrote: I was able to escape this list only by remaining completely silent. Big Grin

I'm happy that the conversation in that thread happened the way it did this time around. I was a little shocked when I first joined this site at how similar the all out denial of the possibility of an historical Jesus looked to, say, evolution denial. It was definitely more turbulent, but at least it was honest.

Personally I tend towards there being a David Koresch type charismatic leader who was talked up by his surviving followers.
This is mainly because of the manner of his death which was that of a common criminal and the contortions understaken to explain it as gods will and his crowning moment etc when it is nothing but abject failure.

I cannot buy that the best way to do anything is to get publicly killed then come back and trot about for a few days then bugger off again.

Makes sod all sense.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1813 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2159 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5271 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5516 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2369 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2212 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7322 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1995 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22495 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20272 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm