Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God lives in space...?
God lives in space...?
So as some of you may know from my first post I go to a Roman Catholic school (sadly) and I get into alot of debates and arguments over different things wether it is about the existence of God or things such as explaining people why I don't believe in God. Two days ago someone asked me why I don't believe in God, I was more than happy to explain. Somewhere in my explenation I mentioned that there isn't enough prove to suggest that there is a God. The guy seemed quite furious about my explanation, which is stupid considering he asked me for my opinion in the first place. Anyway, the guy proceeded on to asking me this "Well you've never been to space so you don't that God doesn't exist". To which I simply answered "what the fuck are you on about". I was quite gob-smacked with his question. He answered me saying "Well God lives in space and if you haven't been to space then you obviously can't disprove him". This was the first time I have ever came across such a stupid religious person, I mean I know people that are intelligent and are religious and I can actually have a sophisticated debate with them. But no, this guy was special. So I just said to him "let's just presume that if God did live in space then how can you prove his existence since I'm 100% you've never been to space, there for your argument is invalid". To this I never got a response from him as he just walked away.
Humanity's downfall is a trust in a God that isn't there.

The Acacia Strain-Our lady of perpetual sorrow
RE: God lives in space...?
This is the God of the Gaps argument. Google it and you will find all you need to dispel it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
God of the gaps, pretty much. It's clear that the early followers believed that not only did Yahweh live in the sky, there was a solid dome above the earth where heaven was. All artistic depictions of heaven include clouds. It's like believers in Zeus say he lives on Mount Olympus, but when you go there they suddenly say he moved. Or he's in another dimension. Or whatever. 

Just keep moving the goalposts until you find some place where we can't go yet, then say with as much confidence that your god is there that they had when they said he was in the clouds. Also known as the heavens.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

God lives in space vs. God is in heaven. Well, at least space exists.

I disagree with AFTT47 and think he should reread your post. I think you might find this interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

You might think that I imagine that this will help you. Maybe it will, but it will not cure stupid in the people with whom you speak.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
God lives in the empty space between your classmate's ears.
You already said it - not enough evidence to warrant belief in such a god. What the guy said is actually not a retort that addresses this point at all. You don't need to disprove his god. You can make up a zillion religious things on the spot that the other guy can't disprove. Do it to him for fun and maybe he'll realize that asking for disproof for everything is a futile strategy for finding the truth.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Indeed. The argument from ignorance fallacy, again. What gibberish.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well, your friend, as a Roman Catholic, might still be latching on to this idea of God:
[Image: 32dc75da-1f3a-4e52-9f7c-c1e69d50a3f4.jpg]
And technically he's correct that Jupiter is in space.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Keep the Roman in Roman Catholic!

Lol
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

God lived on Ceti Alpha V, until Kirk killed him.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Space Worm Conundrum Redbeard The Pink 29 6038 September 15, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
Video New video: space, time and anger robvalue 15 3028 March 6, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Eureka! Hubble Space TTelescope Finds Heaven Rhondazvous 56 10133 January 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Should one approach dogmatists in the pulic space? ReptilianPeon 14 2981 April 7, 2015 at 6:34 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19460 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Why should religion have any influence on our lives? MusicLovingAtheist 62 9139 October 12, 2014 at 2:18 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  I'm a witness that Jesus lives! domnavarra 53 21539 June 5, 2012 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Religion: Making the lives ot Schizophrenic people HARDER without 12 4188 September 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower
  Bishops just can't stay out of people's sex lives OnlyNatural 13 3620 January 29, 2011 at 10:08 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Past Lives Sherry 28 7242 April 15, 2010 at 4:22 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko