Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hellenism and all christians
Hellenism and all christians
So me and rhythms who I have a love/hate relationship with got into about amalgamation of pagan festivities into christian doctrines. I said that Jehovah's witnesses have gotten rid of the pagan customs in their modern day beliefs but he said that we're full of them. I would like to know what they are. And if it goes back to hellenism and how the jews started it around 2 B.C.E. then thats fine too.
RE: Hellenism and all christians
Crickets seriously? Come on rhythms, I know you got shit to talk
Could you name a few? I don't know anything about JW except that they keep sending sweet, grandmotherly, little old ladies to my door which makes it very difficult for me to refuse the Watch Tower magazine.
(June 23, 2015 at 11:03 am)Nope Wrote: Could you name a few? I don't know anything about JW except that they keep sending sweet, grandmotherly, little old ladies to my door which makes it very difficult for me to refuse the Watch Tower magazine.

Doesn't the watch tower sound like a lord of the rings book!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 23, 2015 at 11:05 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Doesn't the watch tower sound like a lord of the rings book!

Personally I'm more reminded of Steven King's Dark Tower.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
A more accurate thread title would probably be "Hellenism and -all- of Western Civilization". /twocents
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What is the thread about? I don't understand the OP
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 23, 2015 at 11:15 am)Alex K Wrote: What is the thread about? I don't understand the OP

Hellenistic influences and JWs who OP says got rid of them
It's about the contention that by doing away with christmas, JW's have somehow managed to avoid the influence of one of the most dominating and long lasting cultural influences in all of history.  Also known as: a desperate need to be different.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The JW's didn't remove Hellenistic influences; they did take action to make their religion less Hellenistic but in practice they just pulled their religion out of Christianity entirely.

The "pagan" influences are things like celebrating Easter, they don't do it because they believe the date chosen by the west was picked to coincide with previous pagan holy days. They're absolutely correct, they were. However, it doesn't really matter what day is chosen for them according to the very oldest branches of Christianity, the Russian Orthodox for instance celebrate Christmas during mid January. All that matters is that the occasion is observed at some point during the year which the JW's of course don't do.

The other thing they did was "purge Gods words", a.k.a they made their own "translation" of the Old and New Testament that JW's are told are the only version of the Bible they can read since it has been "purified" of Hellenism. What actually happened was they rewrote pretty much the entire damn thing, and a JW bible says Book of Mormon level crazy shit you won't see in any other version. For instance Jesus apparently didn't die on the cross, and he's also the Archangel Michael not just the son of God (so reincarnation is also a thing in JW theology, which is odd since they also teach there is no afterlife for all but the 144,000). Jehova and Yahweh are also two different people go figure. I don't know what's funnier, the fact they believe it or the fact JEHOVA is actually a bastardization of Jove (Jupiter/Zeus).

So yeah, they're actually Zeus' Witnesses not Jesus'. Also the Wachtowers concept of the "invisible return" of Jesus smacks very strongly of the Classical deities descending from Olympus to walk amongst mortals as they did in Homers Odyssey and Illiad.

The fact they're claiming not to be Hellenised is nothing short of hilarious, of all the Christian denominations they're one of the worst for it! Even the Catholics and Greek Orthodox don't claim fucking Zeus is an aspect (not trinity, JW's don't believe in a trinity but they do accept a partnership of Archangel Michael, Jehovah/Zeus and Yahweh) of the one God.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7809 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31249 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51172 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 67133 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Calling all Christians: These bears need Jesus Mudhammam 11 3435 June 21, 2014 at 6:27 am
Last Post: hobie
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15807 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  How can Christians not admit Christianity is all a pile of garbage when ...? Xavier 154 67513 March 2, 2012 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9946 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  All Christians should read this.. Darwinian 7 5741 September 25, 2008 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Alan