Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Creationist friend
My Creationist friend
I have been posting pro-atheist/science updates on my facebook account recently, and it's driven some religious and creationist friends out of the woodwork. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me about what to say to one creationist friend who believes the earth is less than 10,000 years old. And I want to try and be nice. Smile
RE: My Creationist friend
Tell them that, perhaps 7 days to god is a lot longer than 7 days for us. And so, to put a definite date on the universe is impossible to them. I don't know how to be nice to Creationists without pandering to their religion. Just be yourself and hold true to your beliefs. Just agree to disagree with them.
T H E • M U L T I V E R S E • T H E O R Y
Yes. Tell him he is a fucking moron.

People that stupid deserve no consideration.
P.S.

Being nice to those people does not work.
Thanks for the thoughts......I'm perhaps leaning towards the 1st suggestion. Wink

Despite my friend being invincibly ignorant, they're still my friend.
There is also the point that "This particular civilisation" may only be 10,000yrs old and they 'scriptures may have gotten a bit confused??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
/insanity on

7 days... Multiply by two, 7 x 2 = 14.

The universe is about 13.75 billion years old...

Which means that 7 days to god is around 13.75-14 billion years.

Oh, and the universe will end in fire and brimstone when it becomes 28 billion years old!

Hurry, hurry!!!!
Tell your friend!!
Now! Now!

/insanity off

Devil

I don't think there's a "nice" way of telling people the truth...
But you can always make it sound nice, somehow... Tongue
I have a secret and it is down below!

Haha! Thanks....and so true!!
Random chance...
A realy weird thing for sure...

Devil
I have a secret and it is down below!

Do these friends also believe that the universe is less than 10,000 years old? (I'm guessing they do, because why would the universe be here before their deity created the Earth for us?) Just ask these ignoramuses how it is that we can see stars and galaxies that are millions of light years away if the universe is only 10,000 years old. If what they believe is true, the visible universe would only be 10,000 light years. Of course, be prepared for them to give you some made up nonsense about how "God" created the universe with these stars already visible to us. In which case, you could ask them why this god is deceptive. To this, they'll no doubt ask how their god is being deceptive. Your reply would be to say that "God" is making the universe appear older than it really is. It appears to us that the universe is billions of years old when it's actually only 10,000 years old. Why would this deity want to fool us?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Stop being friends with stupid people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2499 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Let's play a kudos game called "the creationist 15" ErGingerbreadMandude 5 858 October 12, 2017 at 6:33 am
Last Post: chimp3
  So my redneck friend came to visit on Friday. Brian37 9 2321 June 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Your friend tells you they're a paedophile robvalue 144 14104 November 3, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Friend deleted me after 2 years because i'm atheist Heat 54 8324 October 18, 2015 at 10:37 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Can you be my friend? LivingNumbers6.626 4 1222 December 8, 2014 at 2:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can a man and a woman be friend? salamenfuckyou 30 5154 January 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  The friend zone is the worst place to ever be in ever. Sakumofo 38 11346 October 6, 2013 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Aegrus
  How to gain and lose a friend in 2 weeks. Oldandeasilyconfused 46 14855 May 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  An actual letter my friend wrote on my behalf Pel 24 8726 January 30, 2012 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Mitja