Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were going to take a stand against religion outside a church...
If you were going to take a stand against religion outside a church...
Ok, here is the situation, you have decided to take a stand against your local (presumably Christian, but maybe another religion) church. Why? I don't know, maybe a relative died and the priest told you they are with God now and you had to restrain yourself from punching the priest in the face....

So, you've decided on a protest by standing outside and trying to convince the churchgoers that they are being duped and that they should take a good look at their beliefs.

What would you do? How would you organize it?

(Sure, maybe you wouldn't do this... in which case, don't bother saying you wouldn't. Either play the game or stay quiet)·

I like one possibility (wouldn't work very well, but quite funny) of taking the text from that internet meme:

Thor
My God has a hammer. Your God was nailed to a cross... with a hammer. Any questions?
A finite number of monkeys with a finite number of typewriters and a finite amount of time could eventually reproduce 4chan.
RE: If you were going to take a stand against religion outside a church...
(April 20, 2010 at 2:20 am)Loki_999 Wrote: I like one possibility (wouldn't work very well, but quite funny) of taking the text from that internet meme:

Thor
My God has a hammer. Your God was nailed to a cross... with a hammer. Any questions?

I likes it!!!Tiger

mk will be quiet naow.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Is it allowed to use military equipment?
Devil

Or is this one of those peacefull protests?
Tiger
I have a secret and it is down below!

I would picket the services with signs such as, "500 years ago I would have been burned as a heretic, now it's your turn."
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
(April 20, 2010 at 6:32 am)D.S.M. Wrote: Is it allowed to use military equipment?
Devil

Or is this one of those peacefull protests?
Tiger

Let's see what we can do with peaceful.

(April 20, 2010 at 6:51 am)SleepingDemon Wrote: I would picket the services with signs such as, "500 years ago I would have been burned as a heretic, now it's your turn."

LOL.... and have a nice big bonfire and a stake setup.
A finite number of monkeys with a finite number of typewriters and a finite amount of time could eventually reproduce 4chan.
I would dress up as a priest and ask questions that makes people question their faith. Anything else just makes people put up a natural defense on their beliefs and it is like debating with a wall.
I saw a really good one once. A young woman dressed up to attend a weekly public meeting, out in the town centre, that a church I used to go to did. She has a small hand mirror and a cross painted quite big on her face. She danced around everyone singing and smiling to to herself in the mirror, then ran off laughing. I thought it was awesome. The church kids though she was a fruit loop.
(April 20, 2010 at 1:37 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I saw a really good one once. A young woman dressed up to attend a weekly public meeting, out in the town centre, that a church I used to go to did. She has a small hand mirror and a cross painted quite big on her face. She danced around everyone singing and smiling to to herself in the mirror, then ran off laughing. I thought it was awesome. The church kids though she was a fruit loop.

How was that a protest and not a regularly attending Christian that got an extra dose of the Holy Spirit that morning?
If I wanted to protest my childhood church, I would bring up the Catholic sex abuse. My parish had been a victim of it, and with the new revelations about the pop, more people need to be outraged.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I can't think of any way to effectively protest a church, but then, I'm not the activist type in the first place. I mean sure, you could point out certain things, like sexual abuse, or that their god is guilty of crimes against humanity, or that science has shown many of their beliefs to be false, etc. But I don't think any of that would be effective against a specific church and/or it's parishioners.

My favorite kind of pro-atheist activism is when people join a group of religious protesters and hold up signs mocking the protesters. That shit is funny!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 698 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3375 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1902 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1579 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2409 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3201 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Yeah, not going to happen!! Mystic 29 4781 October 18, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Don't take it personally. Mystic 83 7336 October 16, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4145 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda