Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relying on Technology (quick questions)
Relying on Technology (quick questions)
Do you think humanity is relying too much on technology? What do you think it will be like in the next century? Stuff like schooling, work, military, etc...
"Truth can never be reached by just listening to the voice of an authority." -- Francis Bacon

RE: Relying on Technology (quick questions)
No, we lack the guts to rely on technology as much as we should.
Is humanity relying too much on technology? I don't think so.

However, there are many people who do rely too much on technology although it's not always a bad thing. It's only bad if it leads you to become more isolated from others, not get enough sleep, affects your health, affects your mood, gives you more stress, and results in similar negative things during the day.

There are some people who spend so much time on things like video games, iPods, cell phones, texting, Facebook, computer, laptop, television, music, etc. just for their entertainment that it slowly makes them lazier and unwilling to go outside for a while or to do some physical activity. For example, they may take a car just to go somewhere 3 blocks away from their house instead of walking. But, of course, I don't mean to say that every one of them are like that necessarily.

To me, the important thing is to find a balance which is to enjoy the use of technology without letting it significantly aggravate some of the other aspects in our lives.
One strong EMP pulse and we'd be screwed.

Or a large solar flare.

Do we rely on technology too much?
probably.
Are we gonna stop?
no.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

My robotic arm says no...
Cunt
I just ask this because theres so many people who use facebook and text alllll day. I just think what would happen if all of it were to shut down. I think it would be pure anarchy.
"Truth can never be reached by just listening to the voice of an authority." -- Francis Bacon

(September 24, 2011 at 6:13 am)Rayaan Wrote: Is humanity relying too much on technology? I don't think so.

However, there are many people who do rely too much on technology although it's not always a bad thing. It's only bad if it leads you to become more isolated from others, not get enough sleep, affects your health, affects your mood, gives you more stress, and results in similar negative things during the day.

There are some people who spend so much time on things like video games, iPods, cell phones, texting, Facebook, computer, laptop, television, music, etc. just for their entertainment that it slowly makes them lazier and unwilling to go outside for a while or to do some physical activity. For example, they may take a car just to go somewhere 3 blocks away from their house instead of walking. But, of course, I don't mean to say that every one of them are like that necessarily.

To me, the important thing is to find a balance which is to enjoy the use of technology without letting it significantly aggravate some of the other aspects in our lives.

I would call that an abuse of technology rather use of technology. The use of technology is to take advantage of technology to do things we should or have to do better and more efficient, thus allowing us to make faster and more effective progress. The abuse of technology is to allow technology to sidetrack us from things we should or have to do.

We've been relying on technology since we threw the first rock. It's not like we could stop if we wanted to.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In the future there will be 3d menu's at McDonalds?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(September 24, 2011 at 4:18 am)ReB Wrote: Do you think humanity is relying too much on technology? What do you think it will be like in the next century? Stuff like schooling, work, military, etc...

Well, I don't know about everyone else ,but I certainly do.

I have an all electric house.

Last Wednesday I had a power outage (2 hours);No lights,no PC,no TV. No stove (no COFFEE!) No fridge,no freezer. The outage was only local,so I still had water (that of course is pumped)

I had to use my laptop and Ebook reader; they have batteries..Cool Shades

Plus I have severe arthritis in my knees,so simply cannot walk more than a few hundred metres. That means I'm unable to ride a bicycle. I must have a car or one of those electric shopping carts you sit on.

Plus I take a LOT of medication which would probably be unobtainable or prohibitively expensive without sophisticated technology.

Plus no mass production and its economy of scale (making things in bulk usually makes the cheaper) would mean the end of the consumer society, and a good thing too. People might learn that a high standard of living is not the same as high quality of life,if anything its the opposite...

NEXT century? Futurist are notorious for getting things badly wrong. Eg who foresaw the microchip and what it would mean?

IF WE if we continue without some wonderful new invention such as a super efficient solar power cell or a totally new cheap,renewable energy source, society as we know is it fucked. There will probably be a word oil war. The Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan have just been previews. There may also be a major war when the world economy collapses. This has always been inevitable, ALL systems have their demise built in,even our planet and our sun; permanence is an illusion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I swear Technology hates me. AkiraTheViking 18 1476 July 12, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  The downside of automotive technology onlinebiker 32 2682 January 15, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Is technology making us less human? Foxaèr 24 5377 May 2, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Do We Need to Know About Yesterday's Technology? Rhondazvous 30 4174 July 10, 2015 at 7:28 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  A Technology That Dominionists Will Find Useful Secular Elf 6 1589 June 29, 2015 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Nope
  FYI: Battery technology pocaracas 2 1382 April 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Technology, video, phone & computer questions Angrboda 26 5634 January 1, 2014 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Computer Science and Information Technology goddamnit 16 7139 July 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Schools and Technology SavageNerdz 12 4947 May 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Quick question for confirmation... Tiberius 6 2157 October 3, 2011 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Tiberius