Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity and Islam, hand in hand extremism
Christianity and Islam, hand in hand extremism
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/13/us/egypt-s...index.html

Relevant quote;

HRW says that blasphemy cases generally stem from "personal or unrelated disputes," and since the country's 2011 uprising, authorities have increasingly investigated complaints. While most of the cases involve alleged insults to Islam, HRW says that at least two men have been imprisoned for insulting Christianity.
Christians make up roughly 10% of Egypt's population.
Authorities have also been targeting atheists of late, according to HRW. Police in December shut down a Cairo cafe popular with suspected atheists, and District Administrative Chief Gamal Mohie told a news outlet that the shop was unlicensed and "popularly known as a place for Satan worship, rituals and dances," HRW reported.

It turns out Christianity and Islam have a lot in common, anti-homosexuality and anti-atheism laws have long been the proverbial "holy Grail" of American christian lobbyists too, only the constitution keeps laws identical to these Egyptian laws from being implemented in some states.

It seems christian and Islamic extremists do have a great deal in common.
[Image: jha7gg.jpg]
RE: Christianity and Islam, hand in hand extremism
Poison fruit of the same Abrahamic tree. Take insecurity and combine it with pig-headed certainty that one is in possession of The Truth, and you have a good recipe for whining about perceived slights, retaliation, and government endorsed persecution.

Welcome, Deepthunk. Now, I implore you, do something about that fucking flashing signature. My eyes!
Yes, they have. It's only their competition for their particular brand of the one true god that keeps them from forming an all too natural alliance. Same goes for radical jews obviously. They are just not that many to really make the headlines.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Relevant quote,

Quote:While most of the cases involve alleged insults to Islam, HRW says that at least two men have been imprisoned for insulting Christianity.
Christians make up roughly 10% of Egypt's population.
ROFLOL

2 people? That's comparable to Islamic extremism how?
Where does it state that these two men were atheist? It very well could have been Muslims insulting Christians....

But don't let that get in the way of your agenda though.

(Video courtesy of HRW)

Christianity and Islam, hand in hand indeed...
Christians are a small minority in Egypt so, of course there aren't going to be as many cases brought by them

Just a quick search and I found out that the in  1922 John William Gott was the last person in England sent to jail for blasphemy. I'm sure that other people can find more examples of Christians persecuting people for blasphemy.  Christians often killed one another over who had the right interpretation of their holy book

If there was a modern Christian theocracy, there would be more cases of blasphemy against Jesus.
(July 28, 2015 at 9:01 am)Nope Wrote: Christians are a small minority in Egypt so, of course there aren't going to be as many cases brought by them

Just a quick search and I found out that the in  1922 John William Gott was the last person in England sent to jail for blasphemy. I'm sure that other people can find more examples of Christians persecuting people for blasphemy.
Are you saying the Government of Egypt is Christian? If not, how are Christians responsible for how the Egyptian government treats it populace?

(July 28, 2015 at 9:01 am)Nope Wrote: Christians often killed one another over who had the right interpretation of their holy book
False.
Powerful Religious organizations have killed those who threatened their power, which is against "Christian" teaching. Was not Jesus killed by the Jewish priests?

(July 28, 2015 at 9:01 am)Nope Wrote: If there was a modern Christian theocracy, there would be more cases of blasphemy against Jesus.
Forgot about the Vatican?
(July 28, 2015 at 11:01 am)Huggy74 Wrote: False.
Powerful Religious organizations have killed those who threatened their power, which is against "Christian" teaching. Was not Jesus killed by the Jewish priests?

And how's that different to the Islamic world?

Not at all, it's only an uninformed no true scottsman argument. Yes, and what about the Vatican? Do your history homework, will you? Right now it's confined within a square mile without holding any political power outside that reservation. But that wasn't always the case and things looked different back then.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(July 28, 2015 at 9:01 am)Nope Wrote: Christians are a small minority in Egypt so, of course there aren't going to be as many cases brought by them

Just a quick search and I found out that the in  1922 John William Gott was the last person in England sent to jail for blasphemy. I'm sure that other people can find more examples of Christians persecuting people for blasphemy.  Christians often killed one another over who had the right interpretation of their holy book

If there was a modern Christian theocracy, there would be more cases of blasphemy against Jesus.
The State of Indiana had this little gem on its books:

"Anyone 14 or older who profanely curses, damns or swears by the name of God, Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, shall be fined one to three dollars for each offense, with a maximum fine of ten dollars per day."

http://www.stupidlaws.com/anyone-14-or-o...llars-per/
(July 29, 2015 at 12:01 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:

The State of Indiana had this little gem on its books:

"Anyone 14 or older who profanely curses, damns or swears by the name of God, Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, shall be fined one to three dollars for each offense, with a maximum fine of ten dollars per day."

http://www.stupidlaws.com/anyone-14-or-o...llars-per/

Oh, how I would love to visit the state capitol building and shout my blasphemy for all to hear. Then sue the righteous fuck out of 'em if they try to enforce such a bullshit law.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
How to be a Christian/Muslim extremist:

1. You are taught that the bible/Quran is the word of God and you should live by what it says.

2. Do what you are told.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4009 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11490 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 19801 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4533 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10374 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christianity And Peace Der/die AtheistIn 12 2808 July 22, 2017 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 39768 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Black people and christianity rado84 40 6967 February 1, 2017 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The ignorance of science and the big bang in christianity dyresand 10 2250 May 1, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6776 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus