Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Wonder How Much Longer the EU Will Last?
I Wonder How Much Longer the EU Will Last?
Quote:Britain and France Point Fingers as Migrant Crisis Becomes a Political One
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/01/world/...TE&ei=5043

Quote:The British are blaming the French, the French are blaming the British, and both are blaming the European Union for an incoherent policy toward the thousands of people, many of them fleeing political horrors at home, who are trying to find jobs and a better future for themselves and their families in Europe.
RE: I Wonder How Much Longer the EU Will Last?
Well, it's the old game aimed to please a brainless electorate. Whenever any given politician starts to cry EU when he's caught with his pants down, I ask one simple question: Who the fuck is the EU?

Truth is, the EU is the sum of European politicians sitting together and making often times unpopular decisions. When they return hom and are confronted with a not best pleased voter base, they start to point fingers at that evil anonymous body called the EU. And voters being the most stupid and ignorant lifestock in the world, tend to believe that and don't associate that local political asshole with the EU, although they virtually just moved their asses from the plane coming from Brussels.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 1, 2015 at 12:47 pm)abaris Wrote: Well, it's the old game aimed to please a brainless electorate. Whenever any given politician starts to cry EU when he's caught with his pants down, I ask one simple question: Who the fuck is the EU?

Truth is, the EU is the sum of European politicians sitting together and making often times unpopular decisions. When they return hom and are confronted with a not best pleased voter base, they start to point fingers at that evil anonymous body called the EU. And voters being the most stupid and ignorant lifestock in the world, tend to believe that and don't associate that local political asshole with the EU, although they virtually just moved their asses from the plane coming from Brussels.

Truer words have never been spoken
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Rather than address the content of the OP, I will address the title question.  I think the EU, in one form or other, is going to be around for a long time.  Whatever its imperfections, it certainly beats killing each other in world wars, as was done in the first half of the 20th century, and killing each other in smaller wars in previous centuries.

Additionally, united, they are stronger than they are individually.  Separately, it is easier for very strong nations to push them around in various ways.  Like Russia with the Ukraine.

So I think the smarter people in Europe are going to want to try very hard to make the EU work.  Maybe make some changes, but still make it work.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Well I'm definitely not working on infiltrating the EU and taking over Europe and later the world, why
(August 1, 2015 at 2:28 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Rather than address the content of the OP, I will address the title question.  I think the EU, in one form or other, is going to be around for a long time.  Whatever its imperfections, it certainly beats killing each other in world wars, as was done in the first half of the 20th century, and killing each other in smaller wars in previous centuries.

That was the general idea when France and Germany laid the foundations. There are three problems the EU has. It expanded too fast within the last two decades without any clear definition where it actually wants to go and what it wants to symbolize for it's people. That's the root problem.

The second one, building on the first one described is newly awakened nationalism. The UK is an ongoing problem and I would be all for pressuring them instead of being pressured by UK governments. Not because I dislike them or want them out, but because entering a club means buying the whole package and not cherry picking. The former Communist block countries also are big on nationalism, Hungary the most prominent one among them. Again, and even more since I'm of hungarian descent, I don't want them out. But the EU should take measures to show them that a government like theirs has got no place in the community.

And third, building on the first two problems, is the lack of will to aim for a political union. I for one got no interest in national bickering and feel as a European. I subscribe to European values and not to some nationalist bickering. I've got no interest in voting for our local idiots in European elections. I want a European government to happen with international candidates being up for election. Of course that won't happen anytime soon, since the local politicians fear for their future. Most aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and that's also why they base their careers on fear mongering.

Last, the treatment of the fugitives, which brings me back to the OP, is an international shame. Again, it's based on pure and undiluted fear mongering, playing to the most primitive instincts of the voters to cash in on exploiting the poorest of the poor. Which also reminds me on how they treated and keep on treating Greece. It's always the little people paying the bills.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quote:So I think the smarter people in Europe are going to want to try very hard to make the EU work.

You just reminded me of a quip by Senator Adlai Stevenson while running for president.

Quote:A woman called out to him: "Senator, you have the vote of every thinking person!"

He replied:  "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"
(August 1, 2015 at 3:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:So I think the smarter people in Europe are going to want to try very hard to make the EU work.

You just reminded me of a quip by Senator Adlai Stevenson while running for president.

Quote:A woman called out to him: "Senator, you have the vote of every thinking person!"

He replied:  "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"

Yes, but somehow I think their ratio of thinking people to thoughtless people might be better than ours.  (If you want evidence for that, what percentage of Europeans are creationists versus Americans who are creationists?)

Now, I would not be terribly surprised if the UK left the EU; the UK resembles us a bit more than the rest of Europe resembles us.  If they do, I will not be surprised if Scotland leaves the UK and stays with/rejoins the EU, as they seem to have a much greater appreciation for the EU.  (Those of you in the UK, please feel free to confirm or contradict this impression I have from afar.)  And there may be some other countries leaving, coming back, etc.  But I think France and Germany are solid, and will keep the EU going.  (I don't think France and Germany are the only countries who are solidly in the EU, but they are enough to keep things from totally falling apart.)

So I think the EU has a long future ahead of it, though naturally there will be some bumps along the way, as they have not set it up perfectly.  And I think it is a good thing for Europe if they do make the EU work.  But they should work on their problems to make it better.

Now, if only the U.S. would properly work on its problems....

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Guys, guys, guys, guys, d00ds, guys:

The EU's going to end this September.

What with the rapture and all...
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Quote: Now, if only the U.S. would properly work on its problems....

Can't.  Too busy butting in everywhere else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why so much recent transphobic legislation? FrustratedFool 15 824 August 15, 2023 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 358 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 723 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  And people wonder why.I kill these... onlinebiker 51 3257 October 15, 2021 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1582 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Another US Export. Thank You So Bloody Much BrianSoddingBoru4 6 358 January 13, 2021 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Intimidation and defamation. Last desperate act. Brian37 16 1700 January 4, 2021 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  If you wonder how bad Detroit hospitals really are? onlinebiker 11 593 October 9, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No Wonder He Commands Those Speaking Fees BrianSoddingBoru4 5 312 August 21, 2020 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks - Hysterical White Middle Class BLM Activism Duty 31 1897 July 1, 2020 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU