Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Don't Go to Hell in the Bible
People Don't Go to Hell in the Bible
The Church teaches that all mankind was sentenced to hell to pay for Adam’s sin. This doctrine is both biblically and historically insupportable.

Biblical Viewpoint

It would be interesting to know why this should be when Adam was not sentenced to hell to pay for his own sin. In Genesis 3:17-19 we are told all the terrible things that will happen to Adam. Have you ever read this for yourself? If so, did you notice Adam’s punishment is confined to his physical existence? In fact, Yahweh says “until you return to dust.” So we are talking here about physical death. The soul does not return to dust. The body does and according to the Bible, that is the end of Adam’s punishment. The word “until” means there’s a time limit. So from where did the Church come in and decide our punishment is to be eternal?

Is it not odd that in the 4,000 years between Adam and Paul, not one biblical writer says a word about anybody going to hell to pay for Adam’s sin? You’d think that for something so cataclysmic that it affects the entire human race at least one biblical writer would find it worth mentioning. But none did. Hell was not a place where anybody went in the Old Testament. You might mention Psalm 16:10

For thou shall not leave my soul in hades/sheol. Not let your holy one see corruption.

There is no rationale for translating the Hebrew word “Lish·'O·Vl” as “Hell.” Lish·'O·Vl is the underworld or place of the dead. In classical Judaism, this was the permanent abode of the dead. Elijah and one other prophet notwithstanding, resurrection was not something experienced by the general populace.

Yes, you might say, but what about the rich man and Lazarus? We see Lazarus going to Abraham’s Bosom and the rich man went to hell. I challenge any Christian to show me one instance of Abraham’s Bosom in the Old Testament. Again, the Bible is silent about a concept large enough to deserve at least one mention. Just as Abraham’s Bosom is a construct of apocalyptic Judaism, so is the idea of humans going to hell when they die.

The Psalms were written during the Babylonian captivity. So we see a pagan influence on Jewish theology even before apocalyptic Judaism took hold in the second century B.C.E.

At this point you might turn to the book of Revelation where we find people being cast into the lake of fire because their names were not written in the book of Life. You are not supposed to ask yourself why their names were not written there. The Bible does not say and where the Bible is silent, the Church feels free to add its own interpretation. They tell us it’s because they were unbelievers. However, since nowhere else in the Bible do we see anyone going to hell for what they did or did not believe, this interpretation lacks credibility. The only people the Bible definitely says will have their names taken out of the book of Life are those who take things out of that book and those who add things to that book will have the plaques of that book added to them. So the vast majority of Christian leaders are already in trouble.

Historical Viewpoint

I’ve mentioned apocalyptic Judaism several times. Jesus was an apocalyptic Jew. After the Babylonian destruction and captivity, Jews began to move away from the teachings of the prophets. The prophets taught that suffering was punishment for not keeping God’s covenant. They taught that if the people turned back to God he would heal them and bless them. Yet ever the centuries it was becoming clear that this was not happening. Apocalyptic Judaism was an alternative to the teachings of the prophets. It taught that God had an enemy and it was this enemy who caused Yahweh’s people to suffer when they tried to follow God. According to the prophets, the “soul that sinneth it shall die.” Yet the people saw over and over that the wicked and sinners lived long lives. They did not see the wicked being punished in this life, so apocalyptic Judaism offered an after-life during which justice and retribution would be exacted. Thus, Satan emerges as the arch enemy of God and Hell becomes the destiny of the wicked.

The Church needs hell. Fear is a very strong emotion. It can make people accept what they otherwise would reject. It can make people believe in things that they know are not true. It will take time to free yourself from fears that have lodged in your mind for years and decades. It will be even more difficult if you are surrounded by people who reinforce that fear. As you can see from the above there is no basis for this fear. The last question is, do you think you will find favor with God by believing things you know are not true?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: People Don't Go to Hell in the Bible
You really can't take what just the bible says as Christianity. You have to consider the millenia of Christian teaching too, for no matter what you want those teaching cloud our reading.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Oh bullshit, not that the Jewish argument against hell is any better, the god of Abraham is still a bloodthirsty god against rivals. Trying to remove hell as an idea in any religion, is like arguing the compassion of a rapist who didn't kill the victim and sent them flowers and a note saying the victim was not their type.
I have heard different takes on hell. What goes on down there. whether or not it's eternal. It's as debatable as anything else in the Abrahamic faiths.

The mainstream view is eternal fiery torture, so that's what I usually rail against.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

This is supposed to be word of god. Get your shit together xtians. Keep a unified front and all -_-
The no-mention of hell is metaphorical and shows the true horror of hell signifying "nothingness", which is apparent to any true believer who interprets it properly. Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 2, 2015 at 2:40 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I have heard different takes on hell. What goes on down there. whether or not it's eternal. It's as debatable as anything else in the Abrahamic faiths.

The mainstream view is eternal fiery torture, so that's what I usually rail against.

Revelation 20:

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

People who do not believe in eternal torture, do not believe in what is stated in the Bible.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I'm pretty sure there's also a verse that says non christians thrown into the fire will be destroyed too. What's the point of talking about god granting eternal life, if you have eternal life either way? You're alive whether you're in heaven or not. It's just that those who don't join Yahweh get tortured.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 2, 2015 at 2:56 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I'm pretty sure there's also a verse that says non christians thrown into the fire will be destroyed too. What's the point of talking about god granting eternal life, if you have eternal life either way? You're alive whether you're in heaven or not. It's just that those who don't join Yahweh get tortured.

Minor inconvenience Tiger

Especially when you consider the other option is praising gawd forever....Now THAT'S torture -_-
Christians need hell now because god isn't able to smite physical bodies anymore, Science now knows why people die.

How can Christ "Harrow" hell if there wasn't a hell? Check mate Atheists!
[Image: url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBww...8341234125]
[Image: HarrowingHell.jpg]

[Image: john_baptist_preaching_in_hell.jpeg]
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 565 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 640 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44106 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6589 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5429 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  So Bible rules don't apply to rich white people Fake Messiah 42 11163 March 19, 2018 at 1:07 pm
  What the bible says Hell is like sinnerdaniel94 843 125853 September 11, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6998 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People Imaginos7 30 7732 September 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  I don't care about bible contradictions. CapnAwesome 112 25887 July 1, 2015 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome