Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Georgia School settles separation of church and state lawsuit
Georgia School settles separation of church and state lawsuit
It's a step in the right direction . . . in the deep south, no less!

A Georgia school has had to stop two teachers from praying in class and from ostracizing students whose parents complained.  Students whose parents objected to the prayers were made to sit out in the hall, while the rest of the class prayed.  One first-grader was told that his Mother was "bad" because she didn't believe in god.  He eventually bowed to peer pressure and joined in with his class, against his Mother's wishes.  The boy's family received a settlement, and the school promised to enact training sessions for teachers, reminding them that they cannot lead prayers or proselytize in any manner inside a public school building.

The whole story is here:   http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/georgia-...ve-in-god/
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Georgia School settles separation of church and state lawsuit
I feel bad for the kids who got caught in the middle but that's a pretty awesome outcome. Especially for a school in Georgia.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I have a hard time seeing this as anything groundbreaking. This is a slam-dunk, no-brainer. It's a very clear violation and it pisses me off that shit like this happens. This is what groups like Americans United for Separation of Church and State, The ACLU and People for the American Way are for. I'm guessing a lot of people in the deep south don't realize there are groups like this to which they can turn for help.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Why the fuck is it so difficult for these hateful fanatics to keep their beliefs to themselves in their professional lives?

FFS!
Dying to live, living to die.
Good outcome there, but change is a long way off in my area. The local high school football team ran out onto the field with a Christian flag a couple of weeks ago. This occurred at a school sponsored game.

So. Yeah. Mississippi.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
(October 15, 2015 at 2:52 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I have a hard time seeing this as anything groundbreaking. This is a slam-dunk, no-brainer. It's a very clear violation and it pisses me off that shit like this happens. This is what groups like Americans United for Separation of Church and State, The ACLU and People for the American Way are for. I'm guessing a lot of people in the deep south don't realize there are groups like this to which they can turn for help.

Yeah, but it's the American deep south.  They are used to getting away with using public schools to preach, pray, read the Bible, etc.  Most of the students are so indoctrinated that they request their Bible studies and whine when the football team doesn't publicly pray before a game.  (Oh yes, gawd is very interested in who wins the HS football game.)  So having even a settlement happen against the xtians is a cause for celebration.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(October 15, 2015 at 3:01 pm)Strider Wrote: Good outcome there, but change is a long way off in my area. The local high school football team ran out onto the field with a Christian flag a couple of weeks ago. This occurred at a school sponsored game.

So. Yeah. Mississippi.

So long as the school didn't purchase the flag or the coach wasn't involved in any way, the players can organize and do what they like. They do have free expression, after all. The school just cannot become an organizing partner in the demonstration, either monetarily or through staff participation.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Seriously? I was under the impression that such a display during a school-funded event on school property would be in violation of the establishment clause whether every single one of the players planned it or not. Of course, the coaches can play dumb and say they had nothing to do with it, but I know better.

Well, maybe it was legally kosher for them to do it, but it's still bullshit.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
I bet jesus was a shitty football player....what with those holes in his hands and all.
(October 15, 2015 at 2:52 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I have a hard time seeing this as anything groundbreaking. This is a slam-dunk, no-brainer. It's a very clear violation and it pisses me off that shit like this happens. This is what groups like Americans United for Separation of Church and State, The ACLU and People for the American Way are for. I'm guessing a lot of people in the deep south don't realize there are groups like this to which they can turn for help.

yes, but so was the Kim Davis situation.

Watch, now there'll be teachers refusing to stop praying in class and refusing to NOT proselytize to students,
because it is a "violation of their religious beliefs".

Ugh.  Stop the planet, please...I'd like to get off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mass shooting in the middle school Vladislav Ribnikar in Belgrade FlatAssembler 764 26082 July 18, 2023 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s Huggy Bear 77 3672 April 3, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Oakland School Shooting onlinebiker 99 5712 December 7, 2021 at 8:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 882 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3329 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 2916 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Georgia on your mind. Brian37 89 3583 January 7, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Denver Radio Host wishes for "Nice School Shooting" to interrupt Impeachment Divinity 17 1334 December 20, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Georgia Reporter Groped on Live TV Divinity 69 4223 December 18, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  School of Hard Rock Hotel knocks. Brian37 5 642 October 15, 2019 at 5:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4