Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NC Church Caught Practicing Christianity - Neighbors Complain
NC Church Caught Practicing Christianity - Neighbors Complain
(No, this is not an article from The Onion.)

"A church in Concord, NC, called Showers Of Blessings has become the target of complaints from its neighbors for following the teachings of the Bible.

If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you. -- Leviticus 25:35-36

With a population of over 80,000, Concord is located just north of Charlotte and is the twelfth largest city in NC. It is considerably more conservative than Charlotte, with Republican voters edging out Democrats 50-48 in 2012. The Yellow Pages have 858 listings for churches in Concord.

Residents living next to a Concord church are frustrated because they said no one told them a program that houses homeless people opened up inside the church.

That program has been operating for one-and-a-half years.

For a year and a half, nobody noticed the homeless people were there. What tipped the neighbors off? Construction. Nothing perks up Southerners' noses like construction vehicles in the neighborhood. The facility is called My Father's House. There's even a sign out front."

[Article continues...]

My take? Yep... if there's anything conservative Christians can't stand, it's someone acting like Jesus Christ asked them to.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/10/30/1...tail=email
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

RE: NC Church Caught Practicing Christianity - Neighbors Complain
(November 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: My take? Yep... if there's anything conservative Christians can't stand, it's someone acting like Jesus Christ asked them to.

Yep. I was thinking, finally a branch or sect of Christianity many of us here could likely have at least some support for....
...and the rest of them complain about it.

Good job Thumb up
What do you expect from christians.... they only follow what they want to follow when it comes to the bible.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I think this is partly because politicians don't like shoveling money into safety net programs, and act like the poor are lazy moochers. So when they see people paying for construction for the sake of sheltering the homeless, they think wastefullness instead of Jesus.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: "A church in Concord, NC, called Showers Of Blessings has become the target of complaints from its neighbors for following the teachings of the Bible.

Could have been worse. Could have been called Golden Showers.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 2, 2015 at 8:02 pm)abaris Wrote:
(November 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: "A church in Concord, NC, called Showers Of Blessings has become the target of complaints from its neighbors for following the teachings of the Bible.

Could have been worse. Could have been called Golden Showers.

Wait, there's a difference? I've been taking offense at what my Christian friend says for no reason? Oops!
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(November 2, 2015 at 8:00 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I think this is partly because politicians don't like shoveling money into safety net programs, and act like the poor are lazy moochers. So when they see people paying for construction for the sake of sheltering the homeless, they think wastefullness instead of Jesus.

That's just what fucking jesus said, wasn't it?

[Image: RepublicanJessuGun.jpg]
This sounds exactly like what my parents/my ex church members would have said. i.e. You can go ahead and do that just not anywhere around us. We can't afford to be associated with that sort.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: (No, this is not an article from The Onion.)

"A church in Concord, NC, called Showers Of Blessings has become the target of complaints from its neighbors for following the teachings of the Bible.

If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you. -- Leviticus 25:35-36

With a population of over 80,000, Concord is located just north of Charlotte and is the twelfth largest city in NC. It is considerably more conservative than Charlotte, with Republican voters edging out Democrats 50-48 in 2012. The Yellow Pages have 858 listings for churches in Concord.

Residents living next to a Concord church are frustrated because they said no one told them a program that houses homeless people opened up inside the church.

That program has been operating for one-and-a-half years.

For a year and a half, nobody noticed the homeless people were there. What tipped the neighbors off? Construction. Nothing perks up Southerners' noses like construction vehicles in the neighborhood. The facility is called My Father's House. There's even a sign out front."

[Article continues...]

My take? Yep... if there's anything conservative Christians can't stand, it's someone acting like Jesus Christ asked them to.

how do you know the complainers were conservative christians? Maybe they were liberal atheists.
Do you know any liberal atheist groups that oppose housing for the homeless? Granted they may oppose pushing religion on the homeless people who need a roof over their head, but I think the complaint is about spending money to shelter them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1218 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4150 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  William Craig caught in a lie. Jehanne 23 4854 January 7, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6780 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Fucking Catholics Caught Again.... Minimalist 33 5869 November 27, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8496 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18320 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Priest Caught in The Act!!! Rahul 12 3841 September 21, 2013 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Ubuntu - I am happy because my neighbors are happy. Brakeman 2 1432 September 3, 2013 at 8:36 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10508 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul