Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Religion is a poor source of morality
Religion is a poor source of morality
Religion is often touted as a good sense of morality.  "If you don't fear god, then you can rape and murder all you want!" some religious people like to say.  Of course this ignores that Atheists aren't killing people in droves, and our jails don't have a disproportionate amount of atheists either.  But that's not the point here.

One can easily look at the Old Testament, and see some of the flaws with the system of morality.  Rape was okay, so long as you paid the girl's father.  Women who weren't virgins were worthless, and were stoned if they married and weren't a virgin.  Many will be quick to argue that "That was just the culture of the time."  And there in lies the problem.  "That was the culture of the time."  If religion is such a good source of morality, these people would have started seeing women as equal human beings. 

Let's move a bit closer, however.  Slavery.  Not the biblical slavery (which is apparently okay because that was the culture of the time too.  And it wasn't THAT bad!  At least not as bad as modern slavery).  First of all if modern slavery is worse, then modern slavery was developed during a period of Christianity.  Which means that these same 'moral' people developed a system of slavery even worse than the goat herders two thousand years ago did.  The same people that were happy to stone a woman for not being married before having sex.

And when slavery came to an end in the United States, religion was used to prop it up.  Racism and Bigotry have been propped up by religion time and time again.  Interracial Marriage, Gay Marriage, Slavery.  And how about Xenophobia?   Christians like Ann Coulter hate Mexicans.  They hate anyone from a different country.  She's certainly not alone either.  And even if you don't consider her a 'true Christian' because you love the no true Scotsman fallacy, she considers herself one.  And their thoughts on the poor?  They consider them 'lazy' and 'moochers', regardless of how well they know any of the individuals.  Sometimes based on a couple of anecdotal pieces of evidence.  There are certainly enough Christians who aren't remotely charitable, and are completely greedy.

But let's not focus just on Christianity.  How about Islam?  Their treatment of women is tantamount to the treatment of second class citizens.  They have their own views on how they aren't mistreating women.  Given a thousand years or so, when it's looked back on, if Islam is still around then I think Muslims of the future will look back on their past much like Christians of today do on some of the terrible things done.  

One can easily point to Atheists who have done bad things as well.  But I don't believe any sense of religion would have made those people more moral.  Not when we have so many people today who look at things like the death penalty, stand your ground, kicking people out of your country, preventing two consenting adults from getting married (Forget Gay marriage, they were against interracial marriage at one point, and even as recently as 10 years ago the religious argument was made against interracial marriage)

So how is religion a good source of morality?  It seems to me that people are either moral, or they are not.  And there is little correlation between religion and good morals.  You have good religious people, but those people don't seem to be the type that would rape, kill, or steal if they didn't believe in a god.  Some will claim they got their idea of their morals from religion.  But again, most people see slavery today as immoral and religious texts do not teach that.  How about equality for women?  Instead of getting their morals from religion, people tend to mold their religion to fit their morals.  Which doesn't make for a good source of morality at all.
RE: Religion is a poor source of morality
(October 1, 2015 at 6:01 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Let's move a bit closer, however.  Slavery.  Not the biblical slavery (which is apparently okay because that was the culture of the time too.  And it wasn't THAT bad!  At least not as bad as modern slavery).  First of all if modern slavery is worse, then modern slavery was developed during a period of Christianity.  Which means that these same 'moral' people developed a system of slavery even worse than the goat herders two thousand years ago did.  The same people that were happy to stone a woman for not being married before having sex.

Minor quibble... slavery in the Bible was just as bad as "modern" slavery. There are verses which specifically state that it's okay to beat your slave to within an inch of his life, so long as he can stand again in a day or two. 

Not indicative of a better or more palatable form of slavery than what we had in the USA.

And yes, the Southern resistance to abolition had a lot to do with the Bible verses, with Southern politicians actually quoting Leviticus and other slavery-supporting verses on the floor of Congress. Undecided
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 1, 2015 at 7:10 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(October 1, 2015 at 6:01 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Let's move a bit closer, however.  Slavery.  Not the biblical slavery (which is apparently okay because that was the culture of the time too.  And it wasn't THAT bad!  At least not as bad as modern slavery).  First of all if modern slavery is worse, then modern slavery was developed during a period of Christianity.  Which means that these same 'moral' people developed a system of slavery even worse than the goat herders two thousand years ago did.  The same people that were happy to stone a woman for not being married before having sex.

Minor quibble... slavery in the Bible was just as bad as "modern" slavery. There are verses which specifically state that it's okay to beat your slave to within an inch of his life, so long as he can stand again in a day or two. 

Not indicative of a better or more palatable form of slavery than what we had in the USA.

And yes, the Southern resistance to abolition had a lot to do with the Bible verses, with Southern politicians actually quoting Leviticus and other slavery-supporting verses on the floor of Congress. Undecided

Prepare for Drich in:

"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(October 1, 2015 at 7:10 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Minor quibble... slavery in the Bible was just as bad as "modern" slavery. There are verses which specifically state that it's okay to beat your slave to within an inch of his life, so long as he can stand again in a day or two. 

Yes, but the common argument is that slavery during the biblical days weren't as bad as modern days.  Which would mean that admitting that would be to say that a worse version of slavery was developed under Christianity.
(October 1, 2015 at 7:22 pm)Cecelia Wrote:
(October 1, 2015 at 7:10 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Minor quibble... slavery in the Bible was just as bad as "modern" slavery. There are verses which specifically state that it's okay to beat your slave to within an inch of his life, so long as he can stand again in a day or two. 

Yes, but the common argument is that slavery during the biblical days weren't as bad as modern days.  Which would mean that admitting that would be to say that a worse version of slavery was developed under Christianity.

True. Even if you concede their argument that the version in the Bible was somehow a "nicer" form of slavery than the "modern" one, it means that the "wicked version" (using "" here to indicate irony) was developed by Christian America. But it simply isn't true that there was a measurable difference:

The Bible Wrote:Leviticus 25:44-46 (NKJV)

44 And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have—from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves. 45 Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property. 46 And you may take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them as a possession; they shall be your permanent slaves. But regarding your brethren, the children of Israel, you shall not rule over one another with rigor.

Exodus 21:20-21 (NKJV)

20 And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. 21 Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

If someone can tell me how that differs from American slavery, I'd like to know! Angry

(The trick is to beat them just hard enough so they die on day 3 or 4, so you can avoid punishment. It's all in selecting the right rod to suit your style.)
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 1, 2015 at 7:22 pm)Cecelia Wrote:

Why are you calling it the Biblical days, if you do that then you should be saying we are still in the Biblical days and the same goes if you try referring to the OT as a time, you are applying the history of a single people to the whole world. Do you believe that the Israelites were the only slave holders, they were slaves under other people. There were other nations that were using slaves and treating them terribly. Do you even know the origin of slaves during the 17th-19th centuries. The slaves that came out of Africa were already slave, they were sold by Africans to other peoples for the money, they were treated no better in Africa than they were in other countries. With this said, I'm not condoning any slavery of this type, everyone hear can tell you how much I deplore slavery and the present way black Americans are treated. My whole point is that you can't just blame a small nation who couldn't have keep nearly as many slaves as the larger countries around them that had slaves, and as far as I know those countries had no laws governing the treatment of slaves.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
The holy scripture of pasta is the only source of morality.    As always, Godschild you have my pity and pasta prayers that you will abandon your false idol and accept FSM into your cold heart.  RAmen  FSM Grin
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Quote: Do you believe that the Israelites were the only slave holders, they were slaves under other people.

Actually history ( real history...not the bible shit ) tells us that the Israelites and their poor Judahite cousins were more likely to be slaves than own them.
Too true. Any meaningful basis for morality is concerned with the consequences of your actions, and respect for others. A bunch of arbitrary rules which please some invisible being are the total opposite of that.

The thing that scares me the most is the people who seem proud of the fact that they would be gouging holes in toddlers' faces if they didn't think a magical man was watching them at all times.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 2, 2015 at 2:45 pm)robvalue Wrote: The thing that scares me the most is the people who seem proud of the fact that they would be gouging holes in toddlers' faces if they didn't think a magical man was watching them at all times.

Or, just as frightening, they would do something heinous if they were sure their deity was ordering them to.

For example, Deanna Lanay, who killed her sons because she said Yahweh told her to.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33150 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3394 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31056 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4493 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19828 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7327 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
  The Daily Show....and Poor Discriminated Against Xtians.... Minimalist 14 4087 July 30, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Exian
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3633 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus