Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do when they knock on your door.
What to do when they knock on your door.
Do you engage them in conversation?
Do you hide?
Are you polite?
Do you flick through Watchtower after they have gone?
I am asking because they came here today, I was snapping one off at the time, they kept knocking.
The best sight in the world is the back of a witness walking away.
RE: What to do when they knock on your door.
I say, "I'm not interested. Thank you for your interest"

If they get pushy I become less and less polite.

When they knock on my door in Melbourne I ask if they can't read the sign that says, basically, "Don't knock if you're pushing your religion"
Dying to live, living to die.
"No thanks, I'm not a believer" works for me.

I used to be polite, something along the lines of, 'Thanks for your trouble, but I'm really not interested.'  These days, I simply point at the brass plaque reading 'No Religious Solicitation' that's RIGHT ABOVE THE FUCKING DOORBELL and shut the door in their faces.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Depends on my mood, how much time I have, and if my children are watching. If I'm busy, I just shut the door after saying not thank you firmly, but politely. If I'm feeling combative, I might engage in in little questioning. It's unfortunately, a little like shooting fish in a barrel, as the arguments are never new. If the girls are there and I'm feeling combative, it's more fun because I have an audience. The only change is the audience is becoming combative in their own right.

It's a little different with the Mormon boys who call themselves elders. They feel more like shooting Bambi. Poor boys, set up against a machine gun with only squirt gun to fire back with. And they're such nice misguided boys. . . I tend to ask them thought provoking questions and let it go at that.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
They've stopped coming since I answered the door naked one time. I wouldn't have done it, but one time when we didn't answer they had the nerve to jiggle the handle of the door.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
I have a sign by my door that says "No Soliciting". 
My neighborhood is pretty good.  Folks call the police on religious groups. (ha!)  Some get through.  I usually tell them that I'm not interested.  If they persist, I'll tell them something, depending on how pleasant they seem.  Good = "I'm an organist at a Catholic Church, but thanks for your time."  Pushy: "I'm a Druid, I pray to trees and cast spells.  Have a nice day."  (I never, ever say "atheist". That's just like waving a red cape at a bull. No thanks.)
       But there was this one guy who wouldn't stop.  He ignored me when I pointed out the "No Soliciting" sign, and told him that this also applied to religious "witnessing".  He just got louder, he was obnoxious. He had his (probably 3-year-old) son with him.  So when he paused for breath, I said "Preacher, huh.  I see you brought your little fuck-buddy with you.  How nice for you."  As he gasped and took a step back, I pulled the shotgun out from behind the door and screamed, "Get the hell off of my property, baby raper."  I barely managed to keep a straight face when he grabbed the boy and RAN down my driveway.  

Yes, I channeled my mother.  It was totally worth it.   Angel
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
The only proselytizers who didn't get shown the road in a fast minute were the (I swear this is true) two neo-Druids who came to my flat when I was a student. I actually stepped out and engaged them for a minute or two, since I had never seen door to door Druids. Nice blokes, very polite - they were inviting people to a do they were having, something to do with an equinox, I think. They gave me a pamphlet, which I kept for years.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Simply saying that I'm atheist work for me.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
Why don't the Moonies door knock any more ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you hold the door for people? Fake Messiah 26 1779 January 16, 2023 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  When someone knocks on your front door when you're not expecting anyone. Edwardo Piet 60 8976 December 13, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Your friend tells you they're a paedophile robvalue 144 14722 November 3, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Anyone else start to feel like they're going insane when they get tired? EruptedCarcassBloat 9 1533 October 11, 2016 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Do they start with christmas ads in your countries too? abaris 14 2562 November 11, 2015 at 12:09 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  People comment on my atheism. They comment on me being liberal. Now they can comment Handprint 30 8106 December 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Knock knock Guerilla Radio 10 3590 November 25, 2009 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc
  If they can't get you at home they'll mail their shit to you! binny 11 4346 October 21, 2009 at 3:25 am
Last Post: fr0d0