Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 4:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umberto Eco dead?
Umberto Eco dead?
I'm not posting any links, since some sources say, it's an elaborate hoax, while others claim, he really passed.

Would be a pity. I don't know, how popular he was/is in America, but he was/is one of my favorite authors. I've read almost all of his work. Fiction and non fiction.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Umberto Eco dead?
New York Times, BBC, The Guardian and even wiki updated.

He died.
(February 19, 2016 at 9:18 pm)abaris Wrote: I'm not posting any links, since some sources say, it's an elaborate hoax, while others claim, he really passed.

Would be a pity. I don't know, how popular he was/is in America, but he was/is one of my favorite authors. I've read almost all of his work. Fiction and non fiction.

Unfortunately it's true.  Americans, me included, are not good about reading books in translation.  But Eco is an exception, at least for me. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35620368
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Harper Lee too . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Another loss of a great person! I got The History of Beauty and On Ugliness together, even though they aren't related books, as a gift a few years back, and both are great reads. I read the name of the Rose a long long time ago as well, and have at least one other of his books,, the recent Year Zero, on my wish list. He was a great author of our time, and a beautiful thinker as well.

"When men stop believing in God, it isn’t that they then believe in nothing: they believe in everything."
Umbert Eco

I think I'm going to change my signature in his honor.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(February 19, 2016 at 10:27 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Harper Lee too . . .

So she did.  I love To Kill a Mocking Bird, but that was really the one book wasn't it?  And though I think it was dementia, I'm not thrilled with the late release of her "second" book.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(February 19, 2016 at 11:01 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(February 19, 2016 at 10:27 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Harper Lee too . . .

So she did.  I love To Kill a Mocking Bird, but that was really the one book wasn't it?  And though I think it was dementia, I'm not thrilled with the late release of her "second" book.

Is that mere wishful thinking or do you have good reason to think so?
Ah what a pity!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 19, 2016 at 11:37 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 19, 2016 at 11:01 pm)Jenny A Wrote: So she did.  I love To Kill a Mocking Bird, but that was really the one book wasn't it?  And though I think it was dementia, I'm not thrilled with the late release of her "second" book.

Is that mere wishful thinking or do you have good reason to think so?

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-h...-watchman/ And I wouldn't wish dementia on anyone.
A truly great author.
Another great person dies in 2016. Sad