Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angry Atheist: Michael Jackson, atheism and religion
Video 
Angry Atheist: Michael Jackson, atheism and religion
Here is a little video I made today, which covers a common misconception that I hear all the time: that either you're an atheist, or you worship god in some capacity. I explain why this is very much not the case.

I hope you enjoy! As always, constructive feedback welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GTo1olwYA
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Angry Atheist: Michael Jackson, atheism and religion
Totally agree.
I like dogs. But when they lay in front of me with there little arms out and piss all over themselves, I just feel like kicking them, even though I don't, which is why I like cats much better and you Rob is a cat.
I would imagine a god to be really busy.
Some dude comes up and goes oh god I love you so much and look at me I'm peeing on myself and....boot.
Excellent! I see you understood my points perfectly Big Grin

Thanks for watching!
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
You're becoming  increasingly "angry", Rob...I'm worried. 
Ha ha..The facial expressions are priceless! 

Good topic to touch on, too. I don't think theists give a lot to how ludicrous and demeaning the practice of worship is. These are undoubtedly some of the same folks who'll roll their eyes and snicker at tribal people participating "strange" worship rituals. 

They do the exact same shit; They just do it air-conditioning.
Thanks very much Big Grin

Cheers yeah, I thought it was about time I covered this. Even some of the regulars here seem thoroughly unable to understand this point.

Index of my best videos
I posted one of my favorite sermons. I feel like it addresses a lot of what you repeat Robvalue.
Must you hawk that two-mile sermon on every thread, MK?
Could you give me a couple of highlights that apply here MK? I don't feel like reading all that, sorry.

I am surprised it mentions Michael Jackson though.

Index of my best videos
I been wanting to do it, but I'm afraid I might not do it justice. I feel like I will kill it's eloquent tone as well. But I will try, it's just that keep in mind, the sermon has perceptions I am aware of and not aware of, some that I can put into words and summarize and some that I cannot, but perhaps you would see if you read it.

However, I will post words from Imam Jaffar [as] instead, that I feel is relevant as well:

Humility embraces every precious and noble rank and high position. If humility had a language which people understood, it would speak about the realities which are hidden in the outcomes of affairs. Humility is whatever is undertaken for Allah and in Allah, and anything other then that is trickery. Whoever is humble to Allah, Allah will honour over many of His bondsmen. The people of humility have recognizable signs. When one of them was asked about humility, he said, 'It means you are humble to the truth and follow it, even if you hear it from a child.' Many types of pride keep one from using, accepting and following knowledge. There are certain verses about this, denouncing the haughty. The people of humility have signs recognized by the angels in heaven and the gnostics on earth. Allah said,

وَبَيْنَهُمَا حِجَابٌ وَعَلَى الأَعْرَافِ رِجَالٌ يَعْرِفُونَ كُلاًّ بِسِيمَاهُمْ

On the most elevated places there shall be men who know all by their marks. (7:46)

and elsewhere,

مَن يَرْتَدَّ مِنكُمْ عَن دِينِهِ فَسَوْفَ يَأْتِي اللّهُ بِقَوْمٍ يُحِبُّهُمْ وَيُحِبُّونَهُ أَذِلَّةٍ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ أَعِزَّةٍ عَلَى الْكَافِرِينَ...

Whoever from among you turns back from his faith, then Allah will bring a people whom He loves and they shall love Him, humble towards the believers, mighty against the unbelievers. (5:54)

إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ

Surely the most honourable of you with Allah is the one among you with the greatest precaution. (49:13)

And

فَلَا تُزَكُّوا أَنفُسَكُم...ْ

Do not attribute purity to your souls. (53:32)

The root of humility comes from the majesty, awe, and immensity of Allah. Allah is not pleased with any act of worship, nor does He accept it unless it comes with humility. No one knows what is the true meaning of humility except those of His bondsmen who are close and connected with His unity. Allah said,

وَعِبَادُ الرَّحْمَنِ الَّذِينَ يَمْشُونَ عَلَى الْأَرْضِ هَوْنًا وَإِذَا خَاطَبَهُمُ الْجَاهِلُونَ قَالُوا سَلَامًا
The servants of the Merciful are they who walk on earth in humbleness, and when the ignorant address them, they say; Peace. (25:63)

He commanded the mightiest of His creation and the master of its people, Muhammad, to be humble, saying,

وَاخْفِضْ جَنَاحَكَ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ

And lower your wings to the believers. (15:88)

From humility grow submission, humility, fear and modesty; it is only from within humility that these qualities appear. True and perfect nobility is only given to those who are humble in the essence of Allah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't feel like reading that, I will focus on the concluding statement:

True and perfect nobility is only given to those who are humble in the essence of Allah.
The sermon I posted in the other thread is better regarding the subject, because it ties it with why and how God tries people with his Prophets and chosen ones....as well as the various acts in Islam as far this aspect goes (the issue of humility/humbleness).

As well as it ties it with the issue of why we are tried with evils and harms - and ties it with the rewarding us and making it easy way and access to his reward.

It talks about how the reward is greater through trying us with Prophets and his vicegerent that he has left room for people to dispute and doubt.

I will try to summarize it. But it also talks about the unity of the community and the brotherhood with this issue.  And this is all tied together.

So there is a reason for it for society as a whole.

I will try to summarize it's just that it's hard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do they know when God is angry? Fake Messiah 94 6701 December 24, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2893 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10713 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests zebo-the-fat 9 2137 February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19340 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Atheism is a religion The Valkyrie 52 10973 October 15, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19808 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Can you be angry at "god" and simultaneously disbelieve its existence? Spooky 66 10831 July 18, 2015 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49296 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen