Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I have a doscussion with my parent's Church pastor?
Should I have a doscussion with my parent's Church pastor?
My dad supposedly went to Bible school, though my mother claims not to know much about the Bible despite reading it every single morning. So she suggested I speak to their pastor about questions I have because they can't seem to counter my talking points effectively. They claimed he is friendly, and I have no doubt about that, but I wonder how productive a ' discussion will be.

Maybe that's cynical of me, but I don't feel I will learn much I didn't already know. There are plenty of things I could chose to discuss: Similarity of Zarathustrian religion to the Bible, the differences between the Synoptic Gospels (something I need to do more research on) or the ridiculousness of Noah's Flood. I don't want it to turn out into a debate.

RE: Should I have a doscussion with my parent's Church pastor?
If you are looking for an intellectual debate, I would say the chances of that are extremely low. You're most likely to get deflections and bumhole rationalizations. I'd bet money you know way more than him.

But who knows, maybe he's a really liberal Christian who has actually learned a bit objectively about his religion and his book. Most of them don't know the history of their book, in fact they are grossly misinformed. I guess it could be worth a try, as long as you don't have too high expectations.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
My parents spent many months looking for the the right Church when their old one ceased existing and I know for a fact they both accept Homosexuals and hate theocratic government (saying it would marginalise Christian seats who aren't part of the ruling class) . I'd say they've been going to a very liberal Church. The people I've met from it don't seem harsh or force religion in me. It's just occasionally I'll fall into a discussion about religion with one, or both of my parent.

Tell them that you're open to a discussion with him but the he will have to come to you, at your convenience. Then sit back and wait. My money says he never shows.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Um,

is he attractive ?

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I just seem to live on a completely different planet than the rest of you . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 7, 2016 at 9:21 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: My parents spent many months looking for the the right Church when their old one ceased existing and I know for a fact they both accept Homosexuals and hate theocratic government (saying it would marginalise Christian seats who aren't part of the ruling class) . I'd say they've been going to a very liberal Church. The people I've met from it don't seem harsh or force religion in me. It's just occasionally I'll fall into a discussion about religion with one, or both of my parent.

That's a good sign then.

Maybe it's worth a try. You'd probably find out pretty quickly whether he actually knows anything, or is just a cherry picking liberal.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
hell, Fred Phelps was a liberal scripture cherry picker too

IANMTU

If the pastor is a Progressive Christian, he might be more open to your thoughts and would most likely be more willing to discuss things with you. Anyone else? Not so much.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Honestly, what's the point? Unless you actually think that there are credible answers to your questions, why bother? I've been asking Christians to answer my questions for more than 30 years and none has ever even come close because I expect evidence and rational and critical thinking, something that isn't part of the Christian worldview when it comes to their religion. I'd say it's a waste of time, but it's your time to waste.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1226 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Ex pastor explains how Christianity is fake Fake Messiah 71 7672 May 19, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Another Fucking Piece of Shit "Pastor" Minimalist 37 8934 September 29, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4151 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evangelical pastor Rick Wiles warns of demonic Pokemon that will be exploited by ISIS KevinM1 22 2713 July 20, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I found a pastor who has a strange fixation on flaming buttholes and asbestos diapers TaraJo 12 3205 April 30, 2016 at 11:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Worst pastor, preechur, evangelist, priest, reverend ??? vorlon13 26 7291 November 16, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christian Bride gives her Pastor father certificate of purity on her wedding day The Valkyrie 136 26478 October 28, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Angry pastor warns Katy Perry’s devil sex music is preparing teens for the Antichrist abaris 60 12625 March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Street fighter, pastor edition Jacob(smooth) 26 3798 January 21, 2015 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: robvalue