Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we really this petty, it's only hair!
Are we really this petty, it's only hair!
Altercation at a SF college about wearing dreadlocks and cultural ownership. What claims will be made next?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/ar...san/nqt24/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Are we really this petty, it's only hair!
I've always found things like this totally petty and mundane. People should dress however to fuck they want and style their hair however to fuck they want. Who the fuck does anybody think they are getting to be fashion police? Grow to fuck up.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Yes, people are that petty but here is why.

Quote:"We are taking the matter very seriously and will promptly and thoroughly investigate this incident..."

What they should do is kick both of them in the ass and tell them to grow the fuck up.
Why should the victim be kicked in the ass?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
While I've never much cared for white people wearing locs, I'm not gonna hit anyone over it. I'm also not going tell anyone what can and can't do with their hair. However, the fact that white people in this country can't understand the significance of natural (unstraightened) hair in the African American community and the struggles we have with the right to wear our hair the way it grows, and wear it healthy manageable styles irritates me. So it's not just hair. It's never been just hair. Hundreds of years of denying black beauty. Of being told your hair is ugly, dirty, nappy, unprofessional, inappropriate. And white people can't leave even this unassimilated. So while this woman is very wrong for hitting someone, I can somewhat understand where she's coming from.
(March 29, 2016 at 9:35 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: While I've never much cared for white people wearing locs, I'm not gonna hit anyone over it. I'm also not going tell anyone what can and can't do with their hair. However, the fact that white people in this country can't understand the significance of natural (unstraightened) hair in the African American community and the struggles we have with the right to wear our hair the way it grows, and wear it healthy manageable styles irritates me. So it's not just hair. It's never been just hair. Hundreds of years of denying black beauty. Of being told your hair is ugly, dirty, nappy, unprofessional, inappropriate. And white people can't leave even this unassimilated. So while this woman is very wrong for hitting someone, I can somewhat understand where she's coming from.

Someone outside your culture who takes up a small part of your culture you find offensive? I note that you state "white people". So, can asians, hispanics, native americans, (any non white race/culture) wear locks with out offending you? I'm not sure I understand any logic in this. I would think that if it's assimilated more it will be accepted more.

Are there other things that "white people" should not assimilate from your culture?
(March 29, 2016 at 9:57 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(March 29, 2016 at 9:35 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: While I've never much cared for white people wearing locs, I'm not gonna hit anyone over it. I'm also not going tell anyone what can and can't do with their hair. However, the fact that white people in this country can't understand the significance of natural (unstraightened) hair in the African American community and the struggles we have with the right to wear our hair the way it grows, and wear it healthy manageable styles irritates me. So it's not just hair. It's never been just hair. Hundreds of years of denying black beauty. Of being told your hair is ugly, dirty, nappy, unprofessional, inappropriate. And white people can't leave even this unassimilated. So while this woman is very wrong for hitting someone, I can somewhat understand where she's coming from.

Someone outside your culture who takes up a small part of your culture you find offensive? I note that you state "white people". So, can asians, hispanics, native americans, (any non white race/culture) wear locks with out offending you? I'm not sure I understand any logic in this. I would think that if it's assimilated more it will be accepted more.

Are there other things that "white people" should not assimilate from your culture?

First let's not split hairs with a battle axe, I just told why specifically it bothers me. (And Hispanic is not a race) And I used I white people as an example because that's what the article was about. Secondly I just said I don't have the right to tell anyone what to wear.

And no assimilation is not the answer. Assimilation is the destruction of culture not its preservation. Cultural exchange can only happen when peoples are on equal footing. Think Japan and Western Europe.

Sorry BrokenQuill but that's idiotic. Like most people here, I have nothing but sympathy for the injustices black people have suffered in this country but it's ridiculous to claim a hair style as belonging to you. Indeed, the adoption of so-called black hairstyles should signal to you an acceptance of you and "black culture", that you are a part of US.

If you really want to withhold black culture as your own, please work to make it unacceptable for white people to listen to your abominable rap and hip hop so-called music.

Albert Einstein
(March 29, 2016 at 10:11 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: First let's not split hairs with a battle axe, I just told why specifically it bothers me.  (And Hispanic is not a race) And I used I white people as an example because that's what the article was about. Secondly I just said I don't have the right to tell anyone what to wear.

And no assimilation is not the answer. Assimilation is the destruction of culture not its preservation. Cultural exchange can only happen when peoples are on equal footing. Think Japan and Western Europe.

Hispanic's definitely have a culture.

From your response it sounds like you believe there should not be any cross culture assimilation. You and I definitely believe differently on that point. I don't believe it causes destruction if the assimilation is voluntary, not forced. A culture can not remain static. If it does it will cease to exist except in memories.

Please expand on Japan and WE.
If I saw Tom Selleck wearing a rainbow flag wifebeater I'd go chat him up.  I certainly wouldn't harangue him for 'appropriating' gay culture. Hell, a chance to get schtupped by Tom Selleck, WOOT !!!!!

Tongue Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Consistency Is Not a Virtue If Your Only Consistently Evil The Architect Of Fate 3 238 September 2, 2020 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  New Gun Regulations In The US Would Be Really, Really Stupid BrianSoddingBoru4 135 11981 May 6, 2019 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "A good guy with a gun" saves the day, only to be shot dead himself Aegon 30 3172 November 14, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Dumb As A Bag of Cunt Hair Minimalist 22 2415 October 28, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Orange Fucktard Isn't The Only One Minimalist 0 217 August 30, 2018 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mom who killed her two year old only gets 40 years Sterben 15 2062 July 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Amusing...If Only So Typical Minimalist 1 375 July 19, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  The only good waffle with a nude gun is a..... Brian37 27 4295 April 24, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Barbara Bush in failing health. Only recieving comfort care now. c172 14 2307 April 17, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  So Republicunts Are Only Against Abortion For Other People Minimalist 5 1231 April 13, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr