Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Insomniac support and tips
Insomniac support and tips
I know we have a lot of insomniac members. Let's have a thread where we can offer support and swap sleep tips and support, not so much a venting thread - not that venting isn't OK - but with an emphasis on therapeutic support.
RE: Insomniac support and tips
Over the counter sleep aids, they all suck, amirite?

Stuff like Tylenol PM, yes. @Makers of Tylenol, I'm sorry you make a horrible product and you should feel bad. BTW the truth is an absolute defense against libel.

Those OTC things cause me the worst hangovers and really poor sleep.

I hear people with mild insomnia or who just occasionally need a little help use 5mg Melatonin to good effect.

I like diphenhydramine HCl 25mg myself. Good old Benadryl. Most nights I take it I sleep well and wake refreshed. Not habit forming. Also good if you have allergies.
Diphenhydramine is one example of a generic that doesn't work at all for me.

It has to be Benadryl. The Equate (walmart) and Up&Up (Target) brands do not work.

For me, when I am having episodes, it's usually my brain that fucks me. My mind is going 100mph. So I need to keep it occupied. Usually a boring audiobook, a science podcast (TED Radio Hour is the best), or a good music playlist on Spotify. (Sleep Better or Deep Focus are my go tos)
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Concerning the auditory hallucinations/sleeping aid. When I listened to podcasts to help me sleep, I noticed that the exact volume matters. Too much and it keeps you awake. Too little and it stresses you because you have to try hard to understand it
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm finding that taking an atavan helps quiet the bugs. I think the onset of the psychosis is linked to anxiety somehow because an axiolytic solves the problem.
Here's your split...sort of...ya bully

(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I've never tried any drug...and I don't think I'm in a place to need them...yet.
Like I said on the other thread...somehow, I manage to function.

I once tried "relaxing nature sounds" (check them on YouTube) and... It didn't work.
No sleep when noiseois all around...no sleep when sitting...heck, I can't sleep unless I'm in my special sleeping position in bed... Difficult sleeping when nose is clogged (good thing I don't get allergies)... No sleep in a brightly lit room (in Portugal we have blinds that can darken your room to pitch black in the middle of the sunniest day... When I was in the U.K., the curtains were a piss poor substitute, letting the sun's glorious rays shine through at 5am... With predictable results).

Add to that all the difficulties in life that keep the brain going when it should be turned off...
And I'm just waiting for the day when I crash and burn and sleep for a whole day... : fingers crossed:
I have never found a medicine that will put me to sleep when my brain refuses. Unless you count the abuse of prescription narcotics....which is illegal and dangerous and stupid...but it did work.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Masturbation and regular exercise. Oh and get off the internet and read a book before bed instead. 

Its 4:40 am right now. Off to bed. Later.  Angel
Not forcing myself to stay still. Allowing myself to naturally be as restless as I wish, provided my eyes are closed and I'm in bed. Relax and let myself day dream away. Let my mind and body free, rolling around in my bed.

I always just daydream and roll back and forth until I fall asleep. I change from tummy, to side, to other side, to tummy, while I think of whatever until my thoughts make less and less sense and get more surreal and I'm practically dreaming already. It's like a ritual lol.

That's all I know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cooking Tips BrianSoddingBoru4 64 3021 November 13, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Proof that I’m an insomniac Losty 25 2177 September 3, 2018 at 8:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  First World problems getting you down? We're here for support. ignoramus 68 7339 June 18, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  A Way to Support Me FREE Book Offer Rhondazvous 9 2627 March 14, 2017 at 3:13 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Money-Saving Tips from Tibs and Shell Shell B 97 10432 December 10, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The bragging and mutual support thread bennyboy 72 8078 October 6, 2016 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Over-caffeinated, your tips? Foxaèr 44 3385 July 24, 2016 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  need a little support - bad boss day drfuzzy 21 4785 February 28, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Pro tips for greeting the Juicy Ones on the Introductions Thread Whateverist 8 1479 February 21, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you support euthanasia? IanHulett 40 6249 February 18, 2015 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15