Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof that I’m an insomniac
Proof that I’m an insomniac
It is said that human beings in general sleep at night, and even if they don’t sleep at night they do sleep at some point.

It’s 4:35 am and I’m awake as always. Like today, I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow and there will be no time for sleeping. I get a few hours here and there and about once or twice a month I will crash and sleep for several hours at once.

Sometimes I wonder if I’m in a never ending cycle of doom because of the coffee. I need the coffee to function during the day because I can’t sleep during the night but then I probably can’t sleep during the night because I drink so much fucking coffee during the day.

So, what do you think?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: Proof that I’m an insomniac
If you have large amounts of caffeine in the body and it isn't flushed out of body till night enough, then that caffeine will disturb sleeping. Without sleep you are destroying your mental and physical health. It's basically a slow suicide. There are a lot of articles on the side effects of caffeine.

It's safe to drink 3 small cups of coffee around the lunch, because it takes around 6 hours to flush half of the caffeine from the body.
(September 2, 2018 at 4:50 am)purplepurpose Wrote: If caffeine in large amounts isn't flushed out of body till night enough, then that caffeine will disturb sleeping. Without sleep your destroying you are firstly destroying your mental health and physical.

The problem is, I can’t sleep at night even if I don’t drink coffee but I can’t function at normal human level during the day if I don’t drink coffee.

0/10

I think "thinking that you're an insomniac" is keeping you up at night!

Big Grin

Have you murdered someone lately? Maybe the guilt is keeping you up?
Ask Beccs how she does it ... I'm sure she knocks off the odd arsehole here and there and still manages to sleep like a log ...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 2, 2018 at 4:51 am)ignoramus Wrote: I think "thinking that you're an insomniac" is keeping you up at night!

Big Grin

Have you murdered someone lately? Maybe the guilt is keeping you up?
Ask Beccs how she does it ... I'm sure she knocks off the odd arsehole here and there and still manages to sleep like a log ...

I never feel guilty when I add a new head to my cubicle. I take pride in my collection. Tomorrow night when I go to bed, I’ll try thinking I’m not an insomniac and see if that helps.

0/10

(September 2, 2018 at 4:51 am)Losty Wrote:
(September 2, 2018 at 4:50 am)purplepurpose Wrote: If caffeine in large amounts isn't flushed out of body till night enough, then that caffeine will disturb sleeping. Without sleep your destroying you are firstly destroying your mental health and physical.

The problem is, I can’t sleep at night even if I don’t drink coffee but I can’t function at normal human level during the day if I don’t drink coffee.

Go to a doctor and ask what medicine for sleep needs to be taken. You also need to slowly remove coffee, it isn't meant to be used as a power booster, it has too many side effects. Again, without good sleep your committing a slow suicide, so visit a doctor.

Our mental performance isn't great even if we sleep enough, but you get dumber and dumber with each skipped day of sleeping, it's a disaster...
Wow, that level of insomnia must be harder than hell to live with. Have you ever had a sleep study or anything like that done?

How much coffee are you drinking? If it's a cup or two, it's probably not interfering too much, if it's more, then I would definitely try and reduce your intake. This is a tricky one because you are going to suffer hard if you try and reduce or quit coffee, but if you already suffer from insomnia, then you should probably avoid stimulants altogether.

I don't know if you remember back when we met I used to suffer occasional insomnia. A few years before that, it was even much worse. I currently don't have it, despite my other stresses, very often, but I have cut out ALL stimulants. No coffee or tea, certainly no more tobacco, I don't have any sugar or chocolate past about 2 or 3pm. Not even fruit or bread, because I found that white flour is digested so quickly in our bodies that it is turned into sugar really, really fast, and has a stimulating effect.

It has helped me immensely, and I discovered that if I break my rule, I'm prone to be up until 3am.

I'm not saying this would fix your insomnia, yours could have utterly different causes. But it could be a few things to think about or give a try.

Likely your insomnia would be worse for a day or 2 after quitting coffee. It's really hard for some people to give up.

(September 2, 2018 at 4:51 am)Losty Wrote:

How long have you ever gone without coffee and still had insomnia?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 2, 2018 at 5:00 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(September 2, 2018 at 4:51 am)Losty Wrote: The problem is, I can’t sleep at night even if I don’t drink coffee but I can’t function at normal human level during the day if I don’t drink coffee.

Go to a doctor and ask what medicine for sleep needs to be taken. You also need to slowly remove coffee, it isn't meant to be used as a power booster, it has too many side effects. Again, without good sleep your committing a slow suicide, so visit a doctor.

Our mental performance isn't great even if we sleep enough, but you get dumber and dumber with each skipped day of sleeping, it's a disaster...

According to my doctor, it’s unacceptable for me to take anything to help me sleep because I’m already on so many medicines.

0/10

(September 2, 2018 at 5:07 am)Losty Wrote:
(September 2, 2018 at 5:00 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Go to a doctor and ask what medicine for sleep needs to be taken. You also need to slowly remove coffee, it isn't meant to be used as a power booster, it has too many side effects. Again, without good sleep your committing a slow suicide, so visit a doctor.

According to my doctor, it’s unacceptable for me to take anything to help me sleep because I’m already on so many medicines.

Then you need at least consume safe amount of 3 small cups a day of coffee around the lunch, so that caffeine won't disturb your sleep as much. Over time you can slowly lower that amount to nothing to help your sleeping at least partially.

What medicine you are already consuming?
(September 2, 2018 at 5:01 am)Aroura Wrote: Wow, that level of insomnia must be harder than hell to live with.  Have you ever had a sleep study or anything like that done?  

How much coffee are you drinking? If it's a cup or two, it's probably not interfering too much, if it's more, then I would definitely try and reduce your intake.  This is a tricky one because you are going to suffer hard if you try and reduce or quit coffee, but if you already suffer from insomnia, then you should probably avoid stimulants altogether.

I don't know if you remember back when we met I used to suffer occasional insomnia.  A few years before that, it was even much worse.  I currently don't have it, despite my other stresses, very often, but I have cut out ALL stimulants.  No coffee or tea, certainly no more tobacco, I don't have any sugar or chocolate past about 2 or 3pm.  Not even fruit or bread, because I found that white flour is digested so quickly in our bodies that it is turned into sugar really, really fast, and has a stimulating effect.

It has helped me immensely, and I discovered that if I break my rule, I'm prone to be up until 3am.

I'm not saying this would fix your insomnia, yours could have utterly different causes. But it could be a few things to think about or give a try.

Likely your insomnia would be worse for a day or 2 after quitting coffee.  It's really hard for some people to give up.

(September 2, 2018 at 4:51 am)Losty Wrote: The problem is, I can’t sleep at night even if I don’t drink coffee but I can’t function at normal human level during the day if I don’t drink coffee.
How long have you ever gone without coffee and still had insomnia?

Wow that’s serious dedication.

I’ve had insomnia off and on since I was a kid. Back then I wasn’t allowed to drink coffee.
The longest time I’ve gone without coffee as an adult was about a year, but I was drinking alcohol pretty heavily at that time. Still you would think the alcohol would have helped me sleep. My doctor has suggested I do a sleep study, and I probably really should find the time to do that.

I complain about not being able to sleep, but I’ll admit I’m probably not doing enough of what I should be doing to help myself. It’s just so hard once you get to this point. You have to do what you can to get through the day. There doesn’t feel like there’s a choice there. I have to get up and do the things. I can’t just not do the things. So I have to find some way to be alert during those things.

As for how much...embarrassingly I probably drink like 8-10 cups of coffee a day.

0/10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof I Have Proof Amarok 14 959 September 4, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Insomniac support and tips Jackalope 88 10753 June 14, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Regina