Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If your a Christian is it worth praying?
If your a Christian is it worth praying?
What does it mean to pray to god? If god existed his attributes include omniscience and timelessness. If god lives in a timeless realm he will not hear prayers as he has no internal processes because he is in stasis. He will know what is going to happen and has already set the universe up to decide all our fates in advance. He cannot act as he is immatrial and cannot enter a material universe. As if to prove the point all double blind trials into prayer has demonstrated that it has no effect ie it is unsuccessful.

The only way to rationalise all of this is to assume there is no god to pray too.
RE: If your a Christian is it worth praying?
If you're a Christian it's no more worth praying than if you're not. Either way God almost certainly doesn't exist so you're wasting your time.
No. Praying was created to make you have hope for something. Same idea as heaven. But most Christians are too stupid to realize this.
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
Praying is basically talking to your imaginary friend or talking to yourself.

In reality if you do this, you would be considered insane. However, tagging the word "praying" to it suddenly makes it OK.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Atheist I Evolved!
Xtian God again.

God is interacting with the universe at every moment. He interacts within our time line responding to our choices. That our choices are already known to him does not take away our ability to act as free agents.

God can and does interact with the universe. Proof of any kind would be contradictory to the precepts of the religion.
(August 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Xtian God again.

God is interacting with the universe at every moment. He interacts within our time line responding to our choices. That our choices are already known to him does not take away our ability to act as free agents.

God can and does interact with the universe. Proof of any kind would be contradictory to the precepts of the religion.
there is only one true god frodo ;-)

I can't see how an immaterial being can interact with the material universe. But putting that to one side why does prayer not work then? All experiments into it have concluded that prayer fails.
We can't know what God thinks because we're not privvy to all knowledge as he is. Therefore our assumptions on the results of testing fall short on necessary information to draw conclusions from.
God has often answered my prayers and those of many other people I know.

(August 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: As if to prove the point all double blind trials into prayer has demonstrated that it has no effect ie it is unsuccessful.
Prayer isn't something that can be proved or disproved by scientific experiments. Science can only measure impersonal physical phenomena. Prayer is communication with God and whether a specific prayer is answered depends on whether or not God chooses to answer it.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

(August 17, 2010 at 12:57 pm)theophilus Wrote: God has often answered my prayers and those of many other people I know.

(August 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: As if to prove the point all double blind trials into prayer has demonstrated that it has no effect ie it is unsuccessful.
Prayer isn't something that can be proved or disproved by scientific experiments. Science can only measure impersonal physical phenomena. Prayer is communication with God and whether a specific prayer is answered depends on whether or not God chooses to answer it.
I understand but don't agree. We can test the efficacy of prayer as we can astrology. Both have unproven causal mechanisms, but we can test the input and output. If prayer is ineffective it is what you would expect if atheism is true. If prayer is effective it is what you would expect if theism is true. If you reason as you have done, I could make up a fictional being, get you to demand things of it and you would have no way of disproving my fictional being. Which brings us back to god who I beleive is fictional.
Quote:God has often answered my prayers and those of many other people I know.

Then try praying to get smarter. I doubt it will work, though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89326 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5530 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13705 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  How to avoid confusion in your Christian belief. Pyrrho 14 3551 May 25, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Christianity and its effect on self-worth Strider 210 23474 January 8, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Discount for Praying? Minimalist 26 3813 August 2, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7425 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Your favorite Christian books? Mudhammam 13 3102 March 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6343 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  New game: your ideal Christian Whateverist 18 7175 December 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Whateverist