Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The stupidity of sin
The stupidity of sin
This is a generalisation of a particular broken mindset, I'm not suggesting every religious person thinks this way.

Sin has always struck me as one of the more obviously laughable aspects of religion. It appears to boil down to "things that upset God". I don't know how people can say how much superior God is to us one minute, then treat him like a sensitive toddler the next: all diving around in front of him trying to protect his feelings.

Who cares what God is upset by, or what he wants to happen? If he's so stupid as to create beings that regularly do things that make him really angry, or can't help doing crimes so heinous he feels they require tremendous punishment, he really has only himself to blame. If he wanted mindless drones, he should have made them. Fear and greed remain the only sensible motivations. The carrot and the stick.

Of course, the main trick is to conflate sin with immorality; things that are actually bad for us, or for each other. This seems to suggest he made us too stupid to know what is best for us, so he can enjoy bossing us around and always stopping us hurling ourselves off cliffs. If these really are the same thing, then god's disgust with such actions is irrelevant. Often I am hit with a No True Scotsman: whatever differences there are between my morality and the religious person's, I am doing it wrong. The things I am apparently doing wrong, or views I hold, tend to require ludicrously fallacious appeals to rationalise when the person won't come out and say "God says so". I'm perfectly capable of analysing the results of my actions. If someone wants to suggest alternative behaviour, that is fine, but they need to do better than "so and so said so". A set of simplistic rules will never suffice for the intracices of morality and wellbeing, whoever wrote them.

Lastly I come to the really weird aspect of sin: it appears to be the person themselves upset by the sin, rather than their God. Can their God not handle its own upset? Can it not right any perceived wrongs? Can it not dish out its own punishment? Isn't it enough that the sinner is going to apparently be judged unworthy and given an inferior afterlife? Why does a thuggish religious person feel the need to persecute them and make their life miserable in the meantime? Of course, if there's an actual good reason to object to behaviour, then that's fine. If they are hurting someone, for example. But once you've resorted to "it's a sin", reason has left the building.

I'm often told I'm going to receive this shitty treatment from God just for not being in the right religion to begin with. Or perhaps just for being born. I'd rather stand up and do what I think is right, rather than bow to the whims of a judge like this. It seems he is too cowardly or lofty to come explain himself and sends me garbled contradictory messages through other people instead. I can't trust such an egotistical maniac to keep its word anyway. So why also be concerned about the details of my actions, when the only results are me making it worse for myself? It seems it's the thug who can't stand the sin, and who wants to be the judge. As always, God is simply a projection of the believer. You know, the "personal God". The one that agrees with everyone, while they disagree with each other.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: The stupidity of sin
Sins, or what qualifies as a sin, are the creation of men. Some are universally accepted (ie murder), some are just bat shit crazy (ie masturbation, eating pork, letting women speak, ...........). The more delusional you are the more bat shit you accept.

Oh, that's where I left the lube! Um, that's all I have to contribute at the moment.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I always laugh when someone warns me about sin. Why should I care? Go bother someone else with your woo.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
No god, no sin! All we have left are behaviors we determine are criminal or harmful in some way. Religious people can kiss my ass (but only if they are consenting adults).
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

As an atheist, however, I do so enjoy (revel actually) in pointing out major sins Christers are committing (even consecrating!) in their own churches.

The sacrament (LOL!) of remarriage springs to mind.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

"Sins" were an early form of social control. "Thou shalt not kill (thy friends and relatives)." Etc. Sin became a coercion to remain under the control of the state/religion.
(October 2, 2016 at 11:11 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "Sins" were an early form of social control. "Thou shalt not kill (thy friends and relatives)." Etc. Sin became a coercion to remain under the control of the state/religion.

Thou shalt not kill. Unless god tells you to. Then kill without mercy , even the babies. Oh, and save the virgin females for sex slaves.h
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

No graven images did I hear? Get all those Jesus statues out of here.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Fear of hell is a good shock therapy. It doesn't kill, like addictions do. So, for some heavy addicted this kind of fear is a good way to sober up. Even if its primitive, its not like nowadays greedy society cares about people at the bottom often.
'Sin' is simply 'unbelief'...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 961 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Homosexuality no longer a sin Foxaèr 155 19747 June 20, 2018 at 5:34 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Did Jesus ever sin? ignoramus 59 12033 May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  There Is No Sin! chimp3 236 34157 April 21, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Conservatard Xhrisfucks - Reinventing Stupidity On A Cosmic Scale Minimalist 9 819 February 11, 2018 at 9:24 pm
  Why as an Atheist I Cannot Sin Rhondazvous 35 7997 September 17, 2017 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Adam's Sin -- Independence and Revellion InteresedUser 24 8368 May 27, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4162 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Typical Christian/creationist stupidity. bussta33 12 3829 February 1, 2016 at 5:24 pm
  Religious Stupidity In Antarctica God of Mr. Hanky 0 1015 December 29, 2015 at 8:42 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky