Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repetitive and obsessive thought loops.
Repetitive and obsessive thought loops.
Anyone else ever have this? It's so annoying at times. Can be relentless. I just wonder how common it is.

I often get one word or two repeated over and over and have trouble self-referencing when I'm doing it, when I'm obsessing.

I think it's like, me being a control freak internally with myself as some sort of defence mechanism when I'm having trouble controlling the external environment when I feel stressed at it.

Kind of like very curt self-nagging.
RE: Repetitive and obsessive thought loops.
(August 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Anyone else ever have this? It's so annoying at times. Can be relentless. I just wonder how common it is.

I often get one word or two repeated over and over and have trouble self-referencing when I'm doing it, when I'm obsessing.

I think it's like, me being a control freak internally with myself as some sort of defence mechanism when I'm having trouble controlling the external environment when I feel stressed at it.

Kind of like very curt self-nagging.

Hi Ev:

I think brain quirks are more common that we previously thought. Back in the day, no one had anyone to compare with. Now with the net, we are seeing there really is no normal.

My brother gets that way. He had a thing about the word "Bank." Just peeled out in laughter. Over and over. BANK BANK BANK. I never knew if it was the financial institution or the grassy area, but it didn't matter. But he is one of those geniuses, a writer, and also became an atheist. I think verbal, word people have words floating around.

Yeah, I guess I get obsessive thoughts, but now they are like prayers of how much I hate god. I find them very annoying, stupid,and useless...........

Does that count? Confused Fall
How can you hate something that you don't believe exists?
Quote:Anyone else ever have this?

I see it all the time in people who insist that Darwin did not explain the origin of life on earth!
Is that some strange sort of insult? Tongue
I'll find out when I get "warned."

I'll let you know.
That happens to me with words or clips of songs sometimes. If I do something else, it stops. I don't have trouble concentrating when it happens, if I can find something productive to do. I think it might be a form of intrusive thought. I read a study that said everyone has intrusive thoughts at some point or another. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I read it, so I can't post it here. Sad In short, don't worry about it. It's common.
I'm sure everybody does at some point. But it's a matter of degree of course.

I spoke to my psych today and she said there is therapy and even medication for it.
Be careful. They still do lobotomy for "OCD!"

Of course, it's a personal decision and not saying you have ocd- and I must add the disclamer that I hate shrinks!

So this post has no point, I guess!!!
Confusedhock:
Not every shrink is unlikeable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 801 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  [Serious] A thought experiment... Gawdzilla Sama 12 970 October 22, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Thought On Oral Sex BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1679 September 22, 2018 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A thought on hummus, actually. Mr.Obvious 24 999 September 19, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1141 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  A thought on Homosexuality Amarok 44 2800 September 19, 2018 at 1:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A thought on asexuality I_am_not_mafia 9 1082 September 18, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A thought on heterosexuality Foxaèr 6 842 September 18, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1134 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I'm sick of religious binary thought! ignoramus 23 4852 August 23, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus