Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well this isn't good...
Well this isn't good...
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cia-...ia-n666636

Quote: The Obama administration is contemplating an unprecedented cyber covert action against Russia in retaliation for alleged Russian interference in the American presidential election, U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

Current and former officials with direct knowledge of the situation say the CIA has been asked to deliver options to the White House for a wide-ranging "clandestine" cyber operation designed to harass and "embarrass" the Kremlin leadership.

The sources did not elaborate on the exact measures the CIA was considering, but said the agency had already begun opening cyber doors, selecting targets and making other preparations for an operation. Former intelligence officers told NBC News that the agency had gathered reams of documents that could expose unsavory tactics by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
RE: Well this isn't good...
First, so covert that NBC got wind of it.

Secondly, I would be highly surprised if the CIA just started opening backdoors into Russian systems. They're probably both at it for decades, quite possibly with the Chinese another competitor and GCHQ, BND and others, willing helpers.

The televised outrage only starts when someone gets caught or can be blamed for an alleged intrusion. Snowden conveyed that message in a pretty clear way.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 15, 2016 at 5:11 am)abaris Wrote: First, so covert that NBC got wind of it.

It's all over major networks.
Wink 
(October 15, 2016 at 5:14 am)Bella Morte Wrote: I think the US government announced it publicly, it's all over major networks.

Then it's everything but covert. It's the political version of the gorilla pounding his chest. Big Grin
(October 15, 2016 at 5:16 am)abaris Wrote:
(October 15, 2016 at 5:14 am)Bella Morte Wrote: I think the US government announced it publicly, it's all over major networks.

Then it's everything but covert. It's the political version of the gorilla pounding his chest.  Big Grin

I edited my post because I wasn't exactly sure, I remember seeing something on Twitter about the US government saying something about it publicly. But I agree with you, they're just showing off basically.
I bet they already have something juicy, they are just setting the stage.

Probably let Hillary announce it. Tongue
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote:...the agency had gathered reams of documents that could expose unsavory tactics by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

I am profoundly shocked.  The notion that Putin - the very model of moderation, compassion and square dealing - might be unsavory is something I don't think I can deal with.  vdws

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 15, 2016 at 5:41 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I am profoundly shocked.  The notion that Putin - the very model of moderation, compassion and square dealing - might be unsavory is something I don't think I can deal with.  vdws

Boru

But at the same time I always find it hilarious when some nation gets outraged over espionage and setting up fith columns to influence some political decisions. They all do it, they all did it for ages. It's only when someone gets caught in the act that they put up a tragedy or honesty for their own population to be admired for their righteousness.
(October 15, 2016 at 6:39 am)abaris Wrote:
(October 15, 2016 at 5:41 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I am profoundly shocked.  The notion that Putin - the very model of moderation, compassion and square dealing - might be unsavory is something I don't think I can deal with.  vdws

Boru

But at the same time I always find it hilarious when some nation gets outraged over espionage and setting up fith columns to influence some political decisions. They all do it, they all did it for ages. It's only when someone gets caught in the act that they put up a tragedy or honesty for their own population to be admired for their righteousness.

No argument. Espionage has as long a gloried history as the self-righteous breast beating that accompanies it: 'How DARE you spy on us? We're so moral that we would NEVER do that. Prepare to be spied upon...'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Espionage? What a preposterous idea...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 725 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How To Poison Yourself By Protecting Yourself From Something That Isn't Poisonous BrianSoddingBoru4 4 370 December 18, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Well that was some fast back-tracking by Facebook robvalue 9 1242 July 12, 2019 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Well, It Hardly Qualifies As A 'Replica', Then BrianSoddingBoru4 13 934 May 25, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Good Cop/Bad Cop? Nope. All Good. BrianSoddingBoru4 43 3905 February 25, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  One of Obamacare’s big experiments to lower costs is working surprisingly well Aegon 9 792 September 5, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Orange Fucktard Isn't The Only One Minimalist 0 218 August 30, 2018 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Yes, Evangelicals Suck Cock, This Isn't News Minimalist 6 538 June 25, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Well, This Sucks For Online Buyers A Theist 13 1191 June 21, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Sometimes Even Drunk Driving Works Out Well! Minimalist 5 936 June 6, 2018 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye